Ain't Nobody Here

Gold medals!

Fantastic achievement from our cyclists, rowers and swimmers today :D .

"Chris Hoy is the greatest ever Scottish Olympian" :D . From Edinburgh and went to my boys' school (came back to give a talk last year!)

And this is a purely proud mum moment, but I've got a photo of my boy getting a rowing medal from Matthew Pinsent in 2006 which I'd like to share, if you don't mind :oops: .

Check out the look of respect - he never looks at me like that :lol: .

2767156633_f0c36c4a2f.jpg

He started at school aged about 11 - they've got a really good coach who really encourages them (well, teases and shouts at them really but it seems to work!)

Cool, no chance of that happening at my school though, they do the odd sailing course,but it's not my cup of tea really.

Fantastic photo ANH :D

I'm really gutted that I'm missing so much of the Olympics, usually I spend as much time as possible glued to them, but the broadcasting over here is very limited.....we keep getting stuff about the NZ athletes, but very little else is shown :( . Even the hockey match the other night where GB beat NZ simply wasn't mentioned after the event. If NZ doesn't win it's forgotten about :shock: . In fairness we're restricted to terrestrial TV, not got the Sky alternative that might be more balanced, and they are showing the things that most NZers want to see......but I'm feeling deprived :shock: . Great to hear that team GB is doing well though 8)

Fantastic photo ANH :D

I'm really gutted that I'm missing so much of the Olympics, usually I spend as much time as possible glued to them, but the broadcasting over here is very limited.....we keep getting stuff about the NZ athletes, but very little else is shown :( . Even the hockey match the other night where GB beat NZ simply wasn't mentioned after the event. If NZ doesn't win it's forgotten about :shock: . In fairness we're restricted to terrestrial TV, not got the Sky alternative that might be more balanced, and they are showing the things that most NZers want to see......but I'm feeling deprived :shock: . Great to hear that team GB is doing well though 8)

its all on iplayer, the bbc repaly thingy. you should be able to watch loads on there!! we just got our first medal ever in the individual gymnastics with a young guy called lewis smith on the pommel horse :D:D:D:D

Olympics addict here. Don't forget gold AND silver in the pursuit for the women in the track cycling today. :P8)

Louis Smith was great - he trains at the Huntingdon gym so we hear quite a lot about him locally but the medal was a surprise.

Our sportsmen and women are going to have a lot to live up to in 2012.

Isn't it great. At last a bit of recognition for the sports that we are good at and people who really love their sports and perform.

Cycling - fantastic teams, brilliant support, super athletes

Sailing - magnificent results

Rowing - dedicated athletes etc etc.

But why is it that all we hear about is track and field. Excuse me BBC - I'm just not interested. Some woman that gets far too much attention and can't run a marathon - but she's all over the papers and probably will get sportsperson of the millenium 'cos she's a runner.

Hello? We're Not Interested. This country's athletes don't deliver in track stuff, maybe because they have monumental egos and they don't have the ability to compete with the athletes from Jamaica and the States etc. Hey, I'm a runner - give me massive funding and I might just make an Olympic final. And I'll expect loads of awards and recognition as well.

No .. its about time we stopped pandering to the attention seekers and supported the really dedicated sportsmen, sorry, sportspersons who don't get the attention but actually achieve good results.

I hope that all the funding gets taken away from the useless runners and gets given to the cyclists and the sailors. Oh and the rowers 'cos they are a nice bunch of people.

And while we're at it, why don't we just junk football ('cos its totally uninteresting and really the most boring thing in the world) and planet wrecking motor racing as well.

As for hop skip and jumping. What's that all about? And can you really believe that people do walking as an Olympic sport? Its nearly as bad as jumping off a board into a swimming pool at the same time as your mate and not making much of a spash - synchronised diving; who on earth dreamed that one up eh?

Edited by Guest

As for hop skip and jumping. What's that all about?

:shock::shock::shock: RICHARD!!!!! How can you say such a thing! :shameonu: :shameonu: :shameonu:

And is not true that track and fieldies get all the money - far from it... They are rubbish compared to the Jamaicans and Americans and UKA need to look at why that is and sort it before 2012 (having said that UKA are so inept they make the FA look efficent so i don't hold out much hope :roll:)

They probably focus on athletics most, cos its the best! ;)

And also cos its sport in its purest form - running, jumping and throwing were sports long before the bicycle was invented!

Don't hold back, Richard! Tell us what you really think :lol::lol: .

I do agree actually. Also, I don't understand why football has to be in the Olympics? Aren't there enough competitions the rest of the year :? .

And beach volleyball? Please :roll: . I'm glad to see there's a mens' team but haven't yet seen what they wear. A thong? No, thought not :roll: .

I'm a bit biased towards rowing obviously, but you're right, they do seem like a nice bunch :) .

How much have we spent?

Very very roughly;

Rowing - £22 million - 2 golds

Sailing - £22 million - 2 golds ... so far

Cycling - £22 million - 6 golds ... so far

Track and field - £26.5 million - ? golds - probably none (but maybe one in the sandpit - hop skip and jump or is long jump?); Phillip Suduco or something I think it is.

What a waste of money.

We should take the dosh away from the complacent non performing athletics and give it to the sports that have got systems in place to support and develop young talent and then can deliver at the Olympics. This is no longer a come day go day amateur jolly - if we are going to invest taxpayers money in these folk (who are, after all, now predominantly full time athletes) they should have to give value for money. No results, no more investment. Thats business, thats life.

Edited by Guest

TRIPLE JUMP RICHARD!!!!

The best sport in the world - other then football!

And hopefully Idowu will win Gold - he breezed through qualifying this morning! 8)

Not Interested.

How much publicity about the fact that our Laser sailor will win gold tomorrow provided he doesn't finish last or sink in his last race? Practically none.

Maddison tomorrow too - big chance that Wiggo and Cav will repeat Manchester success.

What do we hear about? A Jamaican who can run quick.

Oh, sorry, and someone who qualified in the hop skip and triple jump

TRIPLE JUMP RICHARD!!!!

The best sport in the world - other then football!

And hopefully Idowu will win Gold - he breezed through qualifying this morning! 8)

Not Interested.

How much publicity about the fact that our Laser sailor will win gold tomorrow provided he doesn't finish last or sink in his last race? Practically none.

Maddison tomorrow too - big chance that Wiggo and Cav will repeat Manchester success.

What do we hear about? A Jamaican who can run quick.

Oh, sorry, and someone who qualified in the hop skip and triple jump

:roll::roll: Philistine! :wink: