daisymay

Suspect cocidiosis v worried all fluffed *UPDATE & QUESTION*

my usually perky pepperpot blackie seems to be having an off day. she is normally running about and pecking happily. i have noticed today that she is hardly moving about (has been in the same spot since 2ish today). she is all fluffed up and seems to be hunched. i've checked her over and she feels fine. her vent is clean, her comb etc bright red. when i picked her up she almost immediately went to sleep in my arms (never happened before). the other girls have all been sitting round her as she's top of the order, but have now moved away. i put her in the nesting box to try and give her some rest time but she came out straight away and sat on one of the perches.

she had a couple of pecks at the treats but walked away and turned her back.

there have been a few dodgy poos about in the last few days but i don't know who they're from as always seem to miss seeming them, even when watching!

i am quite new to hens and haven't experienced the poorly hen thing.

They have layers pellets with garlic powder, bokshoi bran, poutry spice and get cider vinegar in the water. they also have grit and limestone flour added to some of the pellets.

she is my son's favourite so I'm getting doubly worried. :(:? please please advise...

7pm - update - have just checked where she's been standing and there is some very watery poo. there is also some other poo that looks half normal, with quarter frothy yellow and quarter looks like grassy stuff (they do freerange a lot and have greens everyday as well).

Edited by Guest

i wormed them all with verm-x last week. not convinced about it though after reading about it on the forum (although now have massive tub). no sign of worms anywhere that i can see easily though?

what do you use, out of interest?

she has moved a bit and had a couple little pecks at pellets but now hunched up again. the others seem quite concerned as are all fussing round her and keep walking past.

Poor Blackie :( I had a poorly hen not long ago with very simular symptoms. I never did find out what caused it, but it only lasted a couple of days and then she was bouncing about feeling fine. Hopefully Blackie will do the same tomorrow.

I used verm-x to start with for my chickens. Two of them at least then had worms, and so I used Flubenvet which was brillient. I personally wouldn't rely on verm-x now. I have some left over which I will probably use in between Flubenvet treatment. I'm assuming it must do something, and just to use it up.

Hope Blackie is better after a good nights sleep :D

Poor Blackie. Could just be a softie on the way but she could also be ill.

Keep an eye on her and try and make sure she is eating and drinking. If she won't eat pellets add some warm water to them which will make them sloppy and easier to eat plus it will get some water into her. Maybe some live yoghurt mixed in too.

Have you checked her for lice?

Worming - I personally use Flubenvet and I had never seen worms in poo until I used it as a precaution in January and then after a few days noticed dead worms coming out in their poo that I'd never seen before. I got mine from www.petmeds.co.uk or I can post you some if you PM me with your address.

mine too! Chicken that is....

Ginger the Chicken that is fluffled up and slow and sleepy and poorly.

Was just about to post about her, but saw this first.

The only thing is that one of our hens has been laying q a few softies reciently, we think it may be her, what does it mean if you do have lots of softies despite the grit and shell.

As for the poo, ours are ex-batts and although weve had them for a few months, the poos have never been consistantly solidish (even with poultry spice and bokashi bran).

So would worms be the first thing to look for?

This was exactly the way my Pepperpot (also called Blackie) was last week - she really did look aweful. I'm 99% sure it was a softie that caused it (although she did go to the vet and was given antibiotics too) and a week later she is completely back to normal.

Hope your Blackie (and Melly264's Ginger) feel better soon.

mine too! Chicken that is....

Ginger the Chicken that is fluffled up and slow and sleepy and poorly.

Was just about to post about her, but saw this first.

The only thing is that one of our hens has been laying q a few softies reciently, we think it may be her, what does it mean if you do have lots of softies despite the grit and shell.

As for the poo, ours are ex-batts and although weve had them for a few months, the poos have never been consistantly solidish (even with poultry spice and bokashi bran).

So would worms be the first thing to look for?

Melly the softies could be making her ill, but could also be something else. I'm not a chicken expert and hopefully others will be along soon, but if she's an ex-batt I wonder if she is coming to the end of her egg laying time?

I had a spate of softies some time ago. So I gave the chooks Limestone Flour. It's a powder and you chuck it in with the feed and give it a shake. I personally use about a tablespoon per day for 4 hens every now and again. You can buy 3kg tubs from Horse supply shops for about £4 (lots of brand names, Baileys, NAF etc).

http://www.baileyshorsefeeds.co.uk/whatproduct/supplements/lime.htm

Worming would be good also. I worm mine every 4 months regardless (with Flubenvet).

Check for lice & mites too.

Hi All

Poor blackie still looks very unhealthy today so I have taken her out and put her in the cat carrier with a tiny bit of soaked bread (her favourite).

I have just spoken to a local chicken breeder and he said it sounds like coccsidiosis. He suggested to move the run/fenced area and get the others off where they are in case they get infected. The problem I have is even though I have decent sized garden, I have designated the back 30ft to the hens and they have totally destroyed all the grass. There is only mud there now, and although I am totally prepared to let them do this to that part, I am a childminder and need the rest of my garden for my job. I am sure all of you are shuddering at my appeared lack of concern, but it is not that at all. I am totally worried about the hens and have got blackie booked in with the vet at 3.30pm today.

I am really worried that I won't be able to treat the ground, as it is just mud and scratchy bits for them. I don't know what to do to their area to minimise the risk to the girls now, and in the future. Their area is 20ft wide by 20 ft so a nice big area....but still it is mud now. They do come out and freerange in the garden but I can't let them do that all of the time.

Sorry for the long waffle but I am really worried and just wondering what to do for the best.

:cry::cry::cry:

Hi All

I am sure all of you are shuddering at my appeared lack of concern, but it is not that at all. I am totally worried about the hens and have got blackie booked in with the vet at 3.30pm today.

:cry::cry::cry:

I don't have any advice for you but just want to say that I've met you in person and we've chatted on email lots and I know there is no lack of concern, quite the opposite. You are doing all you can for your girls and you mustn't beat yourself up over any of this.

I hope it all goes well this afternoon :pray:

Hybrid pullets are usually fully vaccinated before they are sold. I have been looking to see if this is one of the diseases they are vaccinated against, but haven't found it yet....

been to vets and she made it home. he was brilliant and clearly knew about chickens. he checked her poo under the microscope while there for cocsidiosis (or whatever called!). said everything appeared as normal apart from her being under weight as not been eating and he suspects some sort of infection. have got to give her antibiotics and anti inflamatorys for next week/10 days or so i think - not fun trying to get a syringe down her throat 3 times a day. have made her a recuperation area in the lean to/conservatory as he said to bring her to warm a little.

he did talk about her dying so will have to see what the outcome is and fingers crossed the medicines work.

will keep you updated. thanks for all your support and advice

Found it! It is in the chicken health section of the Forum at:http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4987&sid=131eba7f47ba0bd74bda4273117a3ee9

The vaccinations given to Omlet hens are as follows:-

Mareks Disease

Salmonella

Coccidiosis

Infectious Bursal Disease

Infectious Bronchitis

Newcastle Disease

Turkey Rhino - Tracheitis

Avian Encephalomyelitis

hi everyone

thanks again for your replies. i was very worried this morning as she looked so poorly, but this afternoon she is ravenous. I've been giving her dried mealworms and other treats as she won't eat her pellets. any hints on how to fatten her up. she is so so thin i think that is the thing that will get her, if her illness clears up.

she is pecking about and scratching around now so much better. let's hope it stays that way.

one question. when should i put her back with the others? i don't want to leave it too long that they forget her, and i also want her to have best recovery as if she's scratching round her 'pen' she will surely want to have more room?

:D:D