Leicester_H

"Painting" roosting bars against mites

Hi

I'm sure I read on here about some kind of rubber/plastic coating that could be applied to the roosting bars to make them easier to clean

- can anyone provide a link - I've used the search and just can't find it.

We recently have a small number of mites lurking around the ends of the wooden bars. We painted the ends with paint primer (to seal them) and applied LOTS of mite powder and it all seems clear now, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I assume coating would be effective against mites and would be cheaper than buying new plastic bars ??

H

Hi,

The stuff you are asking about is called Plastidip - the company that makes it has a website but they also sell on Ebay and I seem to remember it worked out cheaper for me to buy it from their Ebay site rather than their website. It comes either in a tin or in an aerosol. I know a lot of people find the stuff in a tin a bit messy to apply and prefer the aerosol but I used the paint on stuff and it was great, it's very glumpy though!

Here they are

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=plastidip

:wink::wink:

tbh by the time you've paid for the paint and postage, you might as well just spent the £15 on the plastic roosting bars. Even doing this you still have to wait ages for them to dry each time you clean them (or have two sets, which is twice the paint etc).

Plastic roosting bars are soooo much better. Really easy to clean, easy to dry, you only need one set.

:) Good idea, but I'm glad you posted. It's reminded me to buy some Plastidip for my mark 1 bars, I keep forgetting, and it'll be so much easier. Omlet don't make plastic bars for mark ones, so I've benefitted from this topic thanks. :D

You'll love the plastic bars. :D

I ought to use it on our two Mark 1s as well - I'll have to remember to buy some and hope we have a couple of dry days.........