Sheilaz

I used to hate opera but now I love it!

Just a light hearted topic or an education, whichever way you want to see it. Someone mentioned a dislike of opera in the welcome questionnaire. It just made me think that I would have said the same, all my life, right up until 4 years ago.

The point is, I would have said I disliked it, even though I'd never been to a real live performance.

Now that I have been I want to leap to its defence and also can't wait to go again.

Please don't dismiss a whole artform, unless you know you really don't like theatre, music etc. or have been & still hated it! I was always put off by "screeching, pointless voices".

My turning point was that my bro, who works in theatre, has become involved in opera and we, his fanclub, went to see one in Munich, where he had designed the set & costumes. We loved it!!! OK we were biased, but it wasn't one of the well known ones, it was sung in Italian but with subtitles on a screen. In German. But it was amazing.

I think the crucial factor was that my brother met us that day & explained the whole plot & characters to us, at a level suitable for a 5 year old. It helps. Oh, & we had a 5 year old with us, & 13 yr old too.

We all loved it.

Last year we went to Austria where he had designed & directed too. We all had to shout Bravo!!! at the applause, & again, it was well worth it. Really enjoyable experience, great singing, highly recommended. Well, if its a good production of course. :wink:

Have I persuaded anyone? I'll be disappointed if you all view the topic & don't respond!

Ummmmm... I have to admit I haven't ever seen a live performance and have told Carl I might go and see Don Giovani (one of the lighter operas) but I really don't like all the bits I have heard so far :cry:

Carl and I like quite different music but one area where we both agree is Classical so any radio listened to is Classic FM or Radio 3 (with some Radio 4 thrown in!)

Twelve years of snippets on Classic FM have not changed my mind, Radio 3 plays longer pieces or the whole thing and I haven't managed to even try that :oops: TV versions have left me cold :oops:

I've had to come to terms with Shakepeare plays since meeting Carl, I've lived around Stratford all my life - Carl comes from Cheshire and when we met he had seen lots of his plays - I'd seen one :oops: I've managed that and even went to King Lear last year - four hours :? but Opera?.........

Perhaps your brother could arrange a performance, complete with personal guide, as an Omlet outing just to try and convince us? :lol::lol:

Sheila, I have to admit that you've got a point. While I would never have put myself down as an opera hater I have to confess to being totally disinterested and quite dismissive of it, and that's probably extremely unfair. My Dad used to love opera, and had several LP's that he'd play at home, but we all dismissed it as boring Dad and his screechy fat ladies, that impression has stayed with me and I've never given it a fair go.

In my defence, Mum, at the same time was listening to Neil Diamond... and I don't like him either.

But at the time these judgements were formed I was listening to the Bay City Rollers :roll::roll::oops:

Maybe it's time to give it a go.

I like opera (and Shakespeare, Lesley!!). My parents have always played me classical music from an early age so it's seeped in! My favourite is Puccini's La Boheme closely followed by Mozart's The Magic Flute.

I've never seen a live opera - LSH just isn't interested but I've seen Romeo and Juliet, Richard the III and Henry IV Part One on stage and loved them.

:D But even using your stage name of guest, we still recognised you Sarah! :D

Look, its champagne reception, opera, champagne interval, opera, backstage party. OK? :P

Now Jill, it must depend on the production too. The 2 that I saw were complete shows, acted rather than sung on one spot, and lots going on. OK I'm biased.

Mind you, I think he's doing one soon, in London, with a working title of 3 screaming lesbians. :oops: I might be in the bar for that one. But there should be another good Munich one next year I think. I'll tell you later, I can tell you're all fascinated! :roll:

I love Shakespeare :)

I like wine better though :)

But I am planning to go to the Globe theatre this summer, cheap seats only 5 pounds right in front of the stage (but sitting on the ground- under the roofless bit) Got to be a bargain- in good weather :)

Has anyone else been :?:

I love Shakespeare :)

I like wine better though :)

:?:

I'm sure you can combine the two :wink: Hope you enjoy the Globe, what play will you see? I've been to the globe, there was an excellent guided tour (best to avoid high days & holidays if you can).

I still haven't seen a performance there, you've just reminded me! I had intended to go with daughter one year but that season was a bit heavy & I didn't want to put her off. Now the time has disappeared & I haven't got around to it. Somethinmg else to look forward to.

We took same daughter to Hamlet locally, a touring company. Would have been better if one of the main characters hadn't had a very strong French accent. We didn't have a clue what was going on, just couldn't understand him. He even lapsed into French by mistake and daughter gave up completely. A shame because I think his nerve had gone & it had a knock on effect on the rest of the cast.

Maybe a comedy next time? :wink:

Never thought I would admit it, but I am complete hooked on Pavarotti!! Having been a ardent David Bowie fan all my life I am shocked :shock::shock: But my idea of heaven is lying in my pool, candles alight, listening to Pavarotti - hope I don't sound too loony saying this, but I really love his voice (not sure about him as a person though!!).

Not sure I should have admitted to this!!!

Olivia

Oh Lesley, hope you will still send me the anti-wormy powder now I have admitted to liking Pavarotti and David Bowie !!!! :?:?

I can just see this sentence being quoted in the next Omlet newsletter. :D

Its one of those things that makes sense if you have read the other thread, but, out of context, sounds as if those 2 singers have an unfortunate medical problem. :shock:

Which Olivia has promised to cure. :shock:

With Lesley's help. :shock:

We'd better keep this out of the tabloids. :wink:

Olivia, there was no need to post three times just because you don't know who he is :shock::lol:

It might help if Kate could spell EINAUDI but never mind :lol: Einaudi is a contemporary Classical pianist or according to Kate, he plays 'plinky plonky' piano music :lol:

I can still speak to you over Bowie but Pavarotti?? :? And I can't send the powder if you don't give me your address :?