chickencam

Dishwasher advice please

Our dishwasher washed it's last overnight, leaving a very odd smell and wet dishes :(

It is 15 years old so rather than waste any time or money we have decided to replace it.

Any advice as to what to go for or what to avoid would be gratefully received.

It needs to be a slimline because that is all we have room for.

Ta muchly in anticipation :D

We've got a Miele. At the time it was on offer so only a bit more than the Bosch.

Worth checking to see if you've a Euronics store nearby as they are normally very competitive. Well ours is :) They even lent me a washing machine free of charge for 2 weeks when there was a delay on my new one.

We have a Miele washing machine and freezer, but I think the dishwashers may be a bit too expensive and working on the principal that our old Hotpoint has lasted 15 years I could aford to buy 3 Bosch machines for the price of one Miele.

There is a good sounding Bosch on offer at Argos at the moment so I may go for that, but any more advice would be good.

I am going to go and prod a few this evening if I get the chance, I don't like the ones like we have had in a couple of holiday places where the door bounces up all the time and gets in the way of loading

We have had a Neff for almost exactly a year now and are very pelased with it. It is our first dishwasher so we don't have anything to compare it with (but we are getting on a bit and it beats years of washing by hand). We mainly use the eco-wash 30 minute programme. It gets most things clean and doesn't use so much power.

It depends on whether you want built-in slimline or free-standing. Our one is built in and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in slimline built-in.

Milly

I have a slimline Bosch Exxcel machine. It was 'free' with my new kitchen last year and I have been really pleased with it. It has a delay timer, eco wash and half load. I don't use it much and I have to admit I did manage to flood the floor over the summer which has made me a bit cautious to use it - the weather was so pants it took 2 weeks for the floor to dry our - but it was my fault for not cecking the filter and blocking it with lemon pips!!

We got a Bosch dishwasher last year as a wedding prezzie and its great. We had it repaired recently as the computer board broke but that was my fault as I put one of those plastic lemon freshner thingys in it. The thingy broke and a tiny piece of plastic shot off and caught in the computer board. :shock: Otherwise its sooper and I wouldnt be without one. Try Comet as well, they're usually very good for offers etc.

Kimmy

x

I have an Indesit one and it was honestly the biggest waste of money ever, all my friends have Bosch ones and swear by them like lots of the other posters here.

I let the buyer of my house 'talk me in to' letting her have the Indesit (now we just have to keep it going till we move out! :wink: )

That is well worth knowing because we were toying with the idea of a cheap Indesit, but i think having had a quick look in Comet this evening we are leaning towards losing a set of drawers and buying a full sized Miele, we have found one for £349 online at Comet and having already got 2 Miele products which are great it makes sense.

As always happens with these things though we keep wondering about the higher models with the 5 year parts and labour warrenty, so the price keeps going up :?

We are looking to buy our first dishwasher so the advice here has been very useful. I was also looking at the cheaper Miele machines but was wondering whether it would be worth paying more to get the half-load option? Any thoughts?

I wouldn't bother with the half load option. I only put mine on when it's full as it's more economical that way. To avoid smells I know some people rinse their plates etc in the sink before putting them in the DW but I load them up then just use my very short pre wash cycle. HTH

Has anyone here got a Miele machine with the cutlery tray? If so is it worth having and how fiddly is it to use, bearing in mind that it is largely the job of my children to load and unload the dishwasher.

No, mine just has the bog standard cutlery basket. My children also have to load and unload the dishwasher :)