Mrs Frugal

Information on commonly prescribed wormers/antibiotics

It just means that certain testing hasn't been done in this country.

Panacur and Ivermectin aren't licensed, but are routinely used.

Vets are allowed to prescribe "off label" if their clinical judgement tells them that a particular drug is appropriate.

That is the reason for the egg withdrawal....to be on the safe side. :D

I was just going to post this myself after seeing a half page advert on page 3 of Practical Poultry Magazine Nov 2008 issue that just arrived today.

Flubenvet 1% medicated pre-mixture now in a 60g pack for the domestic poultry keeper.

On page 7 it further discusses worming and says a free leaflet about Flubenvet 1% and poultry worms is available from vets, licenced agricultrual merchants or by calling Janssen Animal Health on 01494 567 555.

Glad to see that it is now 60g rather than the 240g tub I had to buy. Wonder how quickly the new size will be available?

I found this info on their website which makes for interesting (if you like looking a worms that is!) reading, none the less its useful stuff.

http://www.janssenpharmaceutica.be/jah/

Click on the For Animal Owners and then Poultry all in the left hand navigator on the home page.

That is a really interesting site, I just read through all of the pages about worms. Thanks for posting the link.

Hi Everyone

We had Ginger to the vets and they told us how to look for ........ gape worm.

How to look for them is easy.... pardon you might say ... but this is how :- get a bright light torch and part the feathers on the neck, when the light is shone through the skin look for a moving black ring there you have it.

This might help you find the little problem.

Best regards

Ian , Valerie & Ginger

I use Panacure wormer. It is supposed to be for dogs and cats. But an avian vet told me to use it. I give a 1/3 of a 1.8mg sachet each day for 3 days every 3 months. You can get this from your normal vets. It cost me about £1.00 per sachet from my vets in Sherburn. This seems to be ok with my exbats. :)

Claret: Edited to add that this product is not licensed for use on poultry in the UK, although it is recommended by many vets.