cordelia

Not a chicken post but a sad tale of goldfish demise..

...sadly the Goldfish (from my signature) died last night..

middle daughter (happy to be so named, since her baby sister was born) is distraught...and I should say that the Goldfish was named Larry (but I had forgotten when I added my signature)

He came from a local carnival ..of all places...and came home in a special goldfish carrier that my husband bought there. (having decided that a polythene bag wouldnt make it home..they had intended to walk)

We bought him a lovely (if small) starter aquarium, with filter pump etc, and all the water conditioners food, pretend/and real plants and some lovely real sea shells for company...(the girl in Pe**at Ho** refused to sell us a £2.24 friend for him as she said our tank was too small, even though I said I'd renew it when they grew) so he may have been lonely...but he was growing, and looked the picture of health

well yesterday< i had spent a lot of time in the kitchen making dinner, and feeding the baby, and only left at 7pm, returning at 7.30pm when we found him dead....

and he had been swimming around looking fine....so fine infact that, when I had gone out of the room, he had unknownst to me, jumped out of his tank....

and the poor dead fish in the tank...was him...dead and stuck on the other side of it....

uggghhhh...and poor Larry....middle daughter wants a new one (although she wailed most of last evening)...and wants me to lie to the girl in the above mentioned store as to to the size of our tank.....not sure about that part though...so that he can have a friend this time...

anyway thought I'd share poor Larry the goldfish's life and adventurous demise... :boohoo:

Oh very sorry about poor Larry. I wouldn't listen to the girl in the shop and I would go out and get a couple of fish. Your tank can't be that small if it's got a pump, filter etc. If it's one of those Textra art ones then I can't see why you couldn't fit a few more small fish in. I don't think places like that shop really know what they are talking about. You probably better off looking for information on the net. We used to have tetra art small tank with about 6 tropical neon fish in it, no problem.

Sorry to hear about Larry.

It does seem to be true that fish grow to fill the space they have. I bought my two fish a bigger tank thinking they would have more room to manoeuvre but instead they just grow a lot bigger and ended up with not much more room than before.

Fish do tend to flip in the air occasionally so I have a lid on my tank to stop any out of bounds departures. :D

I think I will brave it and get two fish....thanks for the advice :-)

...the funny thing is the tank does have a cover which covers all except for a 4.5cm wide x 13 cm long strip...so Larry jumped out of that...

:-(

edited my spelling mistake

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear about Larry :( I am very attached to our goldfish Taxi (don't ask :roll: ). His friend died so I got him another but he bullied Taxi so I had to send the newbie to live at a friends house :roll: OH wanted to get him another friend but Taxi seems happy enough on his own. Besides he always comes and says hello when I am in the kitchen near his tank :D Is Pets at home the only place you can get fish locally?

its not even that local to be honest..I might see if I can find another supplier..its a shame I dont know where the carnival one came from (breeder wise) as Larry was a lovely fish..and in good condition...

..never thought I'd say this, but its very sad to see his empty tank on the window sill.....

my black moor lives in a fairly big tank( for him ) in the kichen, he is the remaining survivor from 2 moors and 2 pearlscales and then a few others who I got to keep him company whenever he is on his own. I have now decided that he can just live on his own, lets face it if he really just has a three second memory will he ever remenber long enough to notice. :)