I've started trying to make friends with the girls, but they're still really timid. They've come a little closer to snatch a piece of their favourite marmite bread, but still run if we make any sudden movements. They've been with us a week, and we've only really spent this weekend being "chummy", but I was wondering how long other people's chooks took to become friendly.

We have had Vera (Bluebelle) and Hilda PP for nearly 3 weeks now and Vera loves cuddles. Hilda however is a different kettle of fish and remains aloof and doesn't like being picked up at all - anybody close by must think I am about to do terrible things to her the amount of squawking she does!!

Think the difference is that while Vera has laid an egg a day now since last Saturday we have only had two from Hilda and apparently it gets easier once they have established a pattern.I am persevering and hope that eventually she will like me as much as I like her - watch this space!!

It also depends on the temperament of your individual chickens. Morag is very calm and submissive by nature, and after only one week she will eat from my hand, and lets me pick her up with little or no protest :) Migsy on the other hand is nervous and suspicious of everything, and squawks a good deal when I pick her up! They're only about 16-17 weeks old and so not laying yet, so maybe Migsy will settle down a little with age...

I hide behind the safety of chicken wire and gingerly post bits through :wink:

Trinny flies at me when she gets excited and it's like Jurassic park when Trinny and Katy get going :roll:

No they're OK really, but Katy has randomly started running away from me after 2 months in case I pick her up. She was so sweet before T&S taught her bad habits. Trying to lift her out at night now to get her used to handling.