Seagazer Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I have been trying for days to get it clean. I keep soaking it, spraying it with various stuff and scrubbing it and its still got lots of burnt sauce on it. Its been in the dishwasher lots of times too. I hasten to add that this is from last week when my ES was cooking for his girlfriend. It's a stainless steel pan (wedding present - so I'm not giving up!). I'm sure someone out there has a way to get it clean Any ideas? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clootie Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Try this: Put baking soda over bottom of the pot and add white vinegar, about 1/2 cup, and let it sit for a few hours. The vinegar and soda will bubble and then help scrub off the burn. Use a pot scrubber after a few hours and it should come clean. tada !! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 You could try soaking it in Biodegradable washing powder and hot water, I found this very useful for getting the gunk off oven bars. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted November 5, 2008 Author Share Posted November 5, 2008 Thank you very much I shall try (both) if need be. I knew someone would have some ideas. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 You could try soaking it in Biodegradable washing powder and hot water, I found this very useful for getting the gunk off oven bars. Tessa I was going to suggest this one it usually works a treat. Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Burnt my pan a bit tonight, by making treacle toffee. Sodium Bicarb usually works. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 An overnight soak in a hot, strong solution of washing soda works well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Biological washing powder does the job well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Do this lots. Try anything a bit abrasive and lots of elbow grease then soak in lemon juice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Full sugar cola boiled then allowed to cool overnight will do it (and rot your teeth) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Not a good idea to leave your teeth to soak in a saucepan overnight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 *Wipes cocoa from the computer screen* Makes a change from tea, I suppose. :D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buffie Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 This made me laugh, I had a spate of burnt pans ( always on a friday ) and the forum saved the day... Where's Kate... Buffie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 Bicarb of soda, and leave to soak... if no joy, then put it on the hob to simmer for a bit. But WATCH it doesn't boil over! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dodge Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 What you need to do is wait until the Ideal home show is on, then go and see the man with the "Miracle Pan Cleaner" You know the one, he cleans baked on grease and dirt with just a small dab of the paste on a small scourer sponge. I was so impressed with how easy it all came off, it cost me £10 for 3 tubs. I rushed home and got my heavy cast iron frying pan out that had a black bottom, and then called my OH into the kitchen to show her a miracle in progress, and guess what........ Took me a long time to live that one down Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted November 6, 2008 Author Share Posted November 6, 2008 Thank you all so much. I'm currently on the second round of bio washing powder - there is still so much left on. I'm going to hunt in the cupboard to see what else I've got in there - wish me luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A chickychickychick-ENN!! Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted November 6, 2008 Author Share Posted November 6, 2008 I am pleased to announce the return to full working order of my 23 year old saucepan. Thank you everyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
A chickychickychick-ENN!! Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 I am so impressed! Well done! I had a favourite pan a couple of years ago which was a huge, lidded stockpot, with a colander in it for cooking pasta, and then a steamer to go on top. It was the pan for cooking everything and I loved it. And then, like a wally, I made jam in it. Unsettable jam. It cooked and cooked and no amount of pectin was setting it. In the end, it was still liquid, but it burnt a 5mm crust on to the bottom and no combination of bicarb, vinegar, bleach, drain cleaner, coke, washing powder - warm, cold or boiling - could shift it. I tried for three months, every night. I resorted to sandpaper and a chisel in the end. When that failed, it became a plant pot and I took up pickling instead of jam making for a bit! So I am practically dewy-eyed and heart-leapingly happy at your pan-cleaning success! It CAN be done! Anna x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 I am pleased to announce the return to full working order of my 23 year old saucepan. Thank you everyone Well you haven't told us what finally worked. Spills the beans, was it the biological? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted November 6, 2008 Author Share Posted November 6, 2008 Yes it was the biological basically because I didn't have any vinegar, bicarb or cola! I've done it about 4 times since yesterday, worn a pan scrubber out and think my tendonitis is about to flare up again. Should have got ES to do it really Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 This made me laugh, I had a spate of burnt pans ( always on a friday ) and the forum saved the day... Where's Kate... Buffie x Kate's recipe for burned pans is onion skins in water - leave to soak overnight - works like a dream! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted November 6, 2008 Author Share Posted November 6, 2008 I always have onions - I'll have to remember that for next time Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...