Janepie33

Calling all cat experts

The other day I went to fold up some socks and pants that I had taken out of the tumble dryer and some of the items were soaking wet. On further examination (i.e. sniffing) I discovered that they were saturated with cat wee. - Yes, I do have cats, a boy around 10 years and a girl of 2, both neutered

This has now happend another 3 times. the 1st time on another pile of clean washing (makes my house sound a bit of a tip!). The 2nd time on a pile of clothes on my daughter's rug (she's a teenager) and the 3rd time on all the clothes inside my dirty washing basket!

For some reason I think the older cat is the culprit as he is a bit traumatized by the kitten next door that keeps creeping through the cat flap and eating his food and some evenings he has a stand off yowling, hissing contest with a horrible black cat that used to stalk the chickens.

Any ideas how to prevent my cat from leaking all over my house would be greatly appreciated.

I believe it is quite common for a cat to be terrified by a new neighbour and refuse to go outside at all, hence trying to find somewhere else to wee. I think you will need to provide a litter tray and also prevent the next-door cat from coming into the house in some way. You could either get one of those electronic or magnetic cat-flaps where your cats have to wear a collar with a 'key' on it or, if your cats are microchipped, there is a microchip-triggered cat flap or you could try frightening the invading cat out of your house. We had some success once with a visiting tom by catching him in a cat basket placed over the cat flap (this was one of those flaps that can be locked so he got in but could not get out again. In the morning when we found him we took him outside and tipped a bucket of cold water over him before letting him out of the basket. He stayed away after that. However, that might not be enough for your old boy to feel confident enough to go outside again, so you might be stuck with the litter tray.

Sorry not to be more helpful!

I had a similar problem when I moved house last year as a stray cat kept coming through the cat flap at night. I made sure there were several litter trays around the house and also bought several feliway diffusers from my vet.

http://www.bestpet.co.uk/detailed_product.asp?id=114

They started to use the cat litter straight away and apart from an odd accident when caught by the stray I have had no more problems.

I still have a problem with the other cat coming in and although I dont like doing it, I have started to leave a cheap catfood outside for it and that has certainly helped.

I am going to purchase one of the sure flap (microchip cat flap, mine don't wear collers) when the new version comes out. At the moment it only works with the FDX-B micro chip and one of my cats has the older FDX-A. They are quiet expensive but it will be worth it if it stops the other cats.

All good advice.

I would also get your older cat checked out by a vet, as when my old cat started to wet indoors it turned out she had developed diabetes and needed to pass water a lot more than previously.

We had a magnetic cat flap and it worked very well to keep out unwelcome visitors, although our cat would pick up stray metal objects wherever she went :D

a trip to the vet would be a good idea to rule out any bladder infection but your old boy may well be marking his territory again because he is upset by the invader, the secure cat flap is a good idea, try keeping it locked at night to make your cat feel more secure.

We had some success once with a visiting tom by catching him in a cat basket placed over the cat flap (this was one of those flaps that can be locked so he got in but could not get out again. In the morning when we found him we took him outside and tipped a bucket of cold water over him before letting him out of the basket. He stayed away after that.

Oh that we could do that to our neighbour's cat, who scares of our wild birds, traumatises our chookles & turns DH & myself into hissing spitting lunatics :whistle:

Sha x

Our two boys used to get stressed and the ginger tom used to spray all around the house because of a bully cat in the neighbourhood who used to come in eat their food and sleep on the sofa! We even caught it one morning and it flew out the cat flap so fast! Our solution was to get a cat flap which is activated by magnetic collars. We still got the intruder coming in when the back door was open - once when I was on the computer typing a Mrs Angry letter to the local paper about this very same cat :x But we haven't had it come around for over a year now!

However, we have had the ginger tom spraying in the house and I think that's because he is now stressed about the chooks :roll:

Thanks for your advice everyone. I was hoping to avoid the litter tray option, having used them over the years for a variety of cats, but I think it will be the best option as my washing machiene is now working overtime.

Billy is a bit old and overweight and come to think of it, he has been drinking more than usual, so a trip to the vets is a good idea. he is due his booster so I will get him checked out then.

I didn't know that microchip cat flaps existed, so that is a good option too (OH will be a bit cross though as he just fitted a new cat flap!).

I love this forum! Everyone is so knowledgeable. People laugh at me when I tell them that I need to ask the people on the Omlet forum about a variety of topics. They think its just about chickens. little do they know.........!

Just got home from a girls night out. Chatting to my daughter in the kitchen when the youngest cat, Luna, wandered in, squatted on the pile of towels waiting to go into the washing machine and weed a curious brown concotition!

Sorry Billy, I thought it was you!

This is more serious than I thought!

Just got home from a girls night out. Chatting to my daughter in the kitchen when the youngest cat, Luna, wandered in, squatted on the pile of towels waiting to go into the washing machine and weed a curious brown concotition!

Sorry Billy, I thought it was you!

This is more serious than I thought!

Yes that definately sound more like an infection of some kind. I would get it to the vets a.s.a.p. Unfortunately if a cat finds it painful in anway to go to the toilet then a litter tray won't really help as they then associate it with pain, therefore they tend to use a different spot each time.

The strange brown liquid sounds like it could be the dreaded anal gland :shock::vom:

I found to my cost last year that one of mine gets blocked up (that's one of the cat's not one of mine :vom::oops::lol:). A quick trip to the vets and more than a slight squeeze and it was all sorted. Though poor Barney didn't know where to put himself :shock: Thank goodness it hasn't blocked up again!!

Be warned it's not for the faint hearted. If it is this, avoid getting it anywhere near your skin as the smell won't come off without some serious scrubbing. I thought brillo pads and bleach were going to be needed :vom:

All this was after the vet telling me that cat's don't have problems with their anal glands :shameonu:

I took her to the vet and the vet said that she thought it was a behavioural problem rather than a medical one. She examined her and declared her healthy, but gave me a pack to enable me to collect a urine sample (it involves locking Luna - the cat - in a room for a few hours and encouraging her to wee on some non absorbant pellets and then collecting a sample in a pipette and rushing it along to the vet asap).

I bought a refill for my Feliway Difuser - a plug in appliance to dispense cat pheromones - removed any stray piles of washing and turfed out next door's kitten as soon as it popped through the cat flap and so far, the house seems to be cat wee free.

Thank you for asking. Hope you had a lovely Christmas.