BarbaraJ

columbines?

I went to thornes today to have a look see what they had. they had some lovely columbines. Does anyone have these? blue egg layers apparently some had tufty heads :D

Only thing they didn't have Bluebells, i really would like a Bluebell and they have them in Cambridge so i can see us having a trip to cambridge for a bluebell then back to Thornes for some others :lol: good job i have a obliging taxi service :lol:

We've got a columbine "Matilda". She lays white eggs, but some lay blue or green too. Apparently it depends on the colour of their ears as to what colour eggs they will lay. So make sure you pick one with blue or green ears, not what we did! Having said that she's our fav chook! She's going through a moult at the moment so she's a bit grumpy and not laying! :( She'll get over it though and hopefully she'll be back to normal soon.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :D

I went to thornes today to have a look see what they had. they had some lovely columbines. Does anyone have these? blue egg layers apparently some had tufty heads :D

Only thing they didn't have Bluebells, i really would like a Bluebell and they have them in Cambridge so i can see us having a trip to cambridge for a bluebell then back to Thornes for some others :lol: good job i have a obliging taxi service :lol:

If you are coming to Cambridge pop in mine for a tea/coffee I am about 3 miles from the breeder in Bottisham.. :lol:

My Columbine Freya ought to start laying any day now. She's been crouching for a couple of weeks and I check the nestbox about three billion times a day but so far nothing from her. I got excited earlier because she was noisily hanging around the coop but she eventually wandered off. She's such a lovely girl, very friendly now and very cheeky! I think she'll lay green eggs, her ears look more green than blue in my opinion.

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

We did buy two Columbines but our other one, Catherine, died after just a month. She was totally a different colour to Freya but still ever so beautiful. I love their punky hair so much so that I've got Cream Legbar eggs in my incubator in the hope of adding more punky haired girls to my flock.

Beautiful Catherine:

DSC01418.jpg

Here's a photo of my Columbine Bumble with her two friends. She's pretty easy going most of the time and doesn't seem to mind being carried round by an 8 year old ( who then feeds her sultanas). She normally lays lovely green eggs but she's on strike at the moment, she moulted in October / November so I am assuming that she will start again soon.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/Mrswebmuppet/New_chucks2_s.jpg

I have three columbines/skylines two of which look just like Maisie (above). One is more black and white. Two lay blue eggs and one lays green, very pretty.

They are the biggest and most unfriendly of all our chooks though. They dominate the flock and Hazel who is chief hen looks like a cockerel but lays eggs. She is a she-he who jumps on all the others!!!!!!!

Our columbine came from Thorne's too. She's laid blue-green eggs very reliably all year.

She was very affectionate as a pullet but once she started laying she became very nervous and flighty, she's our hardest chicken to handle, she is even wary of eating from our hands :(.

If you search this forum for Luna you will find more pics, but here are some new ones:

luna3.jpg

luna2.jpg

luna1.jpg

/\dam

Hi,

I've had 2 columbines / skylines from Thornes.

Toast and Marmalade - Toast lays greeny eggs,a nd Marmaldae a lovely blue egg.

Marmalade crouches and I can get hold of her - Toast on the other hand I can;t get anywhere near.

I got them at the same time as my bluebelle - Bella, who is starting to get a bit big for her boots.

Now I know Thornes has more columbines - I may have to pay them yet anopther visit.....

Hi,

I've had 2 columbines / skylines from Thornes.

Toast and Marmalade - Toast lays greeny eggs,a nd Marmaldae a lovely blue egg.

Marmalade crouches and I can get hold of her - Toast on the other hand I can;t get anywhere near.

I got them at the same time as my bluebelle - Bella, who is starting to get a bit big for her boots.

Now I know Thornes has more columbines - I may have to pay them yet anopther visit.....

lol i was worried about mentioning it as thought everyone would go snap them up before i am ready for them :lol: beautiful birds!