Guest chookiehen

Polo - an update..

Well, the beautiful Polo has become a woman (at 6 1/2 months!!) and has just been through her first, and last, season. She has been so grumpy, between being hormonal and reduced walks, and it is a relief to be finished with it! We had a one-to-one with the dog trainer today, and she thinks that Polo is almost fully grown - surprising, as we expected her to be at least another third bigger, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Her guarding instinct came to the fore this evening when someone tried to get to the chickens, and she chased them off, without touching them, before any harm could be done.

We are strongly considering another GSD puppy ( a more traditional sable this time) this summer, to complete our family!

After thinking about it a while, and watching Polo interacting with other dogs outside and at training classes, we decided we definitely wanted another dog, to complete the family. We were patiently waiting for our trainer to help us find a GSD puppy again, when we, completely by accident (or guided by fate?!) stumbled upon a collie/lab cross at a local rescue centre who was ideal for us. He's 5, well trained, loves children and other dogs, and after being dropped of at the centre last Friday by his owner, who could no longer provide him with any kind of decent exercise, we brought him home to us yesterday.

Bryn (renamed from 'Rooney') is settling in well, he and Polo are getting along famously (so far!), and he is highly photogenic. Now, once I get my card reader to work, I shall show him off! :D:D

He is utterly convinced that every single person in the whole world has a treat in their hand, and will sit and wait to be given it.

Having him is a completely different kettle of fish from Polo - he's been well trained by his previous owners, and is old enough to have grown out of his bouncyness, so is at a stage that we would hope to have Polo in soon - calm & well-trained. Polo still has the impishness of a puppy about her! :D

They are both gorgeous!! Polo looks so fluffy, until i became a member on here i didn't know that you could get white/cream german shepherds.

We only discovered last year that they came in white, when we started looking for a puppy. Apparantly a lot of breeders will have white/cream puppies put down as they are not recognised as a 'proper' colour by the Kennel Club, so cannot be KC registered. We weren't looking for a dog to breed from, or to show, and as soon as we saw this photo we fell in love.

2862761897_7388ab28e6.jpg

By the time we got her home she looked like this

2898463394_42b4792c73.jpg

And you've seen how she's grown! It breaks my heart that she could have been put down - she is loyal and has a beautiful personality - she is fantastic with the children (especially Squidger!) and is a perfect family dog.

She doesn't half take some brushing though......