Ladylucan

Mud, Mud, Mud.....HELP..

Hello Girls,... i am back yet again,... i have a serious problem with MUD. :cry: . at the mo,

Let me explain.... The run was covered in bark, which was great,.. then we had all that rain and it seems to have buried allthe bark and left me with really wet soggy mud, at the mo so i can get in and out i have had to put in a couple ofpallets to walk on but even they are getting muddy now, the poor girls just dont seem amused, and nor am i,

What can i put down to help combat this!!, :idea: any suggestions will be greatly recieved.... :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks girls ( and fella's ) and its nice to be back again xxxx

I will say, one half of the run is covered in sheeting to hopefully keep half of it dry, and am not sure if that has helped at all??,

Hi Our run is on slabs AND is lined with pond liner (we didn't buy it especially but it works!!) Our bark/chips/hemcore is on top of the liner. Whilst it's not completely dry since the rain & snow still blow in it's not muddy and it is dry under the platform that the eglu is sitting on. I don't especially like bark & felt it stayed wet. The hens seem to prefer hemcore (but it blows about in the wind which is ferocious up here) si for the moment I'm using woodchips. Hope you find something which wirks for you. Allison :):)

Well the cube isnt on slabs, but we did have a few slabs in there, but where the girls scratch around so much they are covered..

I did consider covering the whole area with slabs, but again, i know the girls like to scratch and felt that they would miss out so didnt do it.

Hmm, if it were me and I was looking for a quick fix... I'd rake out the bark chippings and put down bags of small pea gravel onto the mud... then put fresh bark chippings onto.

Permenant solution would be to slab the base area entirely, cover your run and use aubiose/hemcore on top of the slabs.

Hope you can come up with something... I've just walked the dogs and all three of us have come back caked in mud :x ('orrible stuff :( )

Had exactly this issue in Jan after we got our chickens and put the run down on an old veggie patch. Bought some black anti-weed cloth from the garden centre (£5 for a 10m x 1.2m roll) and put this down under the run with the bark chippings on top. Also put the eglu itself on slabs. Has worked perfectly, no mud in the run and the bark chippings stay loose. Anticipate it'll also be much easier to do big clean as can just roll up the cloth with the used bark chippings inside.

Jenny

Thankyou for all ur suggestions, i did consider slabbing the whole run, but was worried as i know the girls love to rake around and thought that by slabbing it would ruin their natural behaviour, but i cant handle the mud anymore, so may slab a majority of it and leave a little bit for them to rake over, plus i may not put the slabs too close together ... guess this one needs a bit of thinking..... def a summer job i think..

I also only covered half of the roof, guess i many need to cover the whole lot , that may help, oh i dont know.... :?

xxxx

Thankyou so much HENthusiastic for the article it made interesting reading. . now to find someone who may use [u]Rubber Chippings[/u] to give me their opinion,

I was surprised to read about the bark but it makes sense that as the mould can grow on it , it would give the hens respiratory problems,

Thankyou again, x

we have a serious mud issue too.... poor girls. Our white star is not white today :shock:

We have escaped most of the winter and moved their run, so they have always had some grass, but its now all gone appart from the odd tuft and i cant wait for spring.

Our girls are allergic to hemcore/aubious (we think) too, so cant really do the route of slabs and scratch material. so not sure what else to do.... Hurry up spring!!!!!!!!! :pray:

I too am drowning in mud to and have had to put pallets and various bits of garden furniture, planks etc in their walk in run as yesterday the whole garden was flooded and today what isn't under water has 2-3 inches of mud underfoot. My goodness its grim :x .

I think I will have to do the slabbing once it has all dried out. My DH this evening said (whilst I was virtually in tears as the girls are so grubby and miserable) "don't worry darling it'll soon dry out" - famous last words eh! Trouble is, I think we are going to need a ton of gravel under slabs to give it a stable base as the heavy clay soil just puddles in the winter and dries to concrete in the summer, so am concerned the slabs will crack if the earth beneath it is uneven.

What I'm really worried about is the health implications of them getting so muddy as obviously all the excess water has their poo and the wild birds' mixed in with goodness only knows what. Any suggestions on that one gratefully received.

Sorry to hijack your post Sparkysmum but I'm sure you will be thinking the same questions too. Here is a link to the rubber mulch idea outlined in the PP mag.

Have just gone out to check they have all made it back into the cube and to apologise for the quagmire. Amazingly we had 4 eggs today though, still, the nesting box is the nicest place to be right now!