Karen & co.

Has anyone tried a training collar?

Alfie our wonderfully brainless dog started to whimper when he wanted something, and this was ignored so he didn't get into the habbit :? but guess what, now he does it all the time :(

He will come up and put his head on your knee and do it, stand in the middle of the floor and do it, basically he is vocal all the time :( He is otherwise healthy, and well(ish) behaved :lol: but the squeaking and whimpering is getting beyond a joke, and out of desperation I've considered getting a humane training collar to see if we can stop him. Nothing else has worked, stones in a tin, shouting Bah at him, or ignoring him :?

I just wondered if anyone had tried one for any reason and if the work or are a waste of money?

Karen x

How old and what breed? German shepheerds and their crosses are vocal by nature. Ignoring, consistantly, really is the only way to curb it though. Your ignoring of the noise really has to be total. Don't tell him to stop, or to be quiet - simply and with no fuss remove him or yourselves from the vicinity.

I have a GS guide dog pup and she is vocal and there is no way she will ever become a silent dog!! but the vocalising is managable.

good luck

I agree with MaggieMcHen.

If you give any attention (and that includes eye contact) while this noise is going on then it just tells them that the whining is working and they will do it even more.

However, as soon as the whining stops you can then give them praise so that he learns that no whining means attention and not the other way round.

Dogs are very good at training humans. :lol:

I'm not a fan of training collars. It just takes time and patience.

We've had to resort to using a collar which sprays air under the chin when Jazz barks - we use it in the car because she started barking at any animal, all of which she is used to on the farm :shock: and was becoming worse.

We have also used it when watching Victorian Farm for the same reason.

We don't want to stop her barking at any other time and wouldn't dream of using the collar to suppress barking for a reason, nor a collar which administers a shock..

I don't know if it would help with the vocals you're getting.

We've had to resort to using a collar which sprays air under the chin when Jazz barks - we use it in the car because she started barking at any animal, all of which she is used to on the farm :shock: and was becoming worse.

That's the type I had thought of Lesley, he was stood in the utility room yesterday just whining at himself :roll: or he does it stood next to Holly if she is lying where he wants to sleep :lol: trouble is Holly gets up and moves for him even though she is top dog :?

Thank you all for the information, will see how we get on :D

Karen x

We use a spray bottle for our dog, she hates water so it works really well. We used it when introducing her to the chickens and to our new guinea pigs. Now we can just pick up the bottle and she will instantly move away and be quiet. Also handy for when guests come round and she wants to jump up, one squirt and shes fine.

We use a spray bottle for our dog, she hates water so it works really well. We used it when introducing her to the chickens and to our new guinea pigs. Now we can just pick up the bottle and she will instantly move away and be quiet. Also handy for when guests come round and she wants to jump up, one squirt and shes fine.

It does work wonders, Spencer is the same he only has to see me move to pick up the bottle and that's enough for him.

It's worked with lots of things, he used to love trying to clean plates etc as I put them into the dishwasher, spray bottle cured that. It's worked for barking, well most of the time and generally anything which we think is unacceptable behaviour.

The collars are rather expensive aren't they?

A spray bottle never worked for Jazz....nor did a bottle of gravel........balancing baking tins on the edge of worktops to discourage jumping up........ :roll: I have a big battle of wills with Jazz over who is top dog :roll: ....and I did once squirt a visiting clergyman when I tried to squirt Jazz for jumping up :shock:

The collar works so we don't mind the cost - I would have been pretty miffed if it hadn't worked after spending that much though :shock:

You could try "time out"

Most dogs respond MUCH better to praise rather than punishment.

1. The moment he whines, take him gently by the collar .... don't speak to him .... and deposit him in an empty room.

2. Count to 30 and let him in. Again ... don't speak to him and avoid all eye contact.

Sit down where you were before.

Now you have a minute's waiting game.

If he whines before the minute is up take him out again and repeat from 1.

Most dogs are pretty clever and you will need to do this only a few times.

Once you have counted that minute and he is OK then give him a treat.

You can repeat this last bit a few times with a few treats and he'll be all yours.

Remember to reinforce good behaviour now and again but most of the time he will be eGGGGGGGstatic that he's pleased you.