feemcg

Got them!

After a very frantic day yesterday it was getting dark when we finally got home with our wee chooks - let Anna see them briefly, then off they went to bed.This morning Beauty (black) came out first, ate, drank and poo'd for Scotland! Belle (bluebell) came out briefly then went back in and Jasmin (speckledy) wouldn't come out at all - gave her a wee shove and she came out (for a photoshoot!) then straight back in. Now all of them are huddled up inside again - do we just leave them to come out on their own or give them some encouragement?Have some great pics but havn't a clue how to post them! Cheers, Fee

Congratulations on parent hood!!

I would just let them come out in their own time - let them explore the eglu and run - they will soon come out when they realise that's where the food and water is!

Brilliant names too!

With regards to posting the photos there should be a sticky somewhere - I will try and find the link

Back in a mo :D

Hi Fee

Congratulations on getting your chickens!! Mine arrived yesterday but both went to bed by themselves and then came out on their own when I opened the door this morning! Mind you, I have had to cover the run with a shower curtain 'cos it's "chucking it down" in Manchester this morning!! :lol: Mine are Omlet hens - maybe they have been trained?? :wink::wink:

Hi Chelsea, the chippings are Hemcore. After reading about Auboise on here I made some enquiries - couldn't get Aubiose but found this stuff instead which is also made from hemp, high water and odour absorbency etc. It certainly got a soaking through the night but dried out very quickly this morning. I have bark chippings in another area of the garden and they are 'mulchy' and wet - so seems like a good choice (thanks to all the fantastic advice on here)

Well the girls survived their second night, all came out eagerly this morning, ate, drank and said hello! I feel more relaxed now that they are behaving like 'normal' chickens! Wee Anna is off to school with pictures for 'show and tell' and we're going out for a few hours and leaving them to their own devices. 7 days ago I was sitting at this computer thinking should I order an eglu or not!