Cyber Chook

Adopting an older cat - any handy hints?

Oh no, I've only just got my Omlet addiction under some pretend semblance of control, and now I discover this forum... :roll:

Can anyone advise? I've finally managed to persuade Mr Cyber Chook that it's possible to find a cat that's a Lazy Pudding. I want one which likes being indoors, and isn't too interested in catching mice and birds. It's more the birds really - we moved here nearly 6 years ago, and there were seven sparrows in the garden. I made a feeding station, and kept it well stocked with live mealworms at breeding time. The next year there were 11, the next after that 13, then 17, and now I've lost count. Plus a robin that comes and sits on my hand to eat. So I call them MY sparrows, and I'd hate to lose even one of them to a cat.

So, do Lazy Pudding cats exist from say one or two years old, or do you think they just become that way when they get older? I want to adopt an RSPCA cat, not a kitten, so that I can have a better idea of their character, and also I know they'll probably have been waiting longer for a home.

Any advice/experiences?

Caroline

My rescue cat, Tilly, was a wicked bird catcher in her early years. She's 9 now and hasn't caught anything in a couple of years. Cats Protection and RSPCA are always overwhelmed with older cats that no one wants. You'd be doing an older puss such a great thing to get one out of kitty gaol.

go for it!

It is entirely possible - I have a lazy puddy tat for a start, who has never gone near the birdies (unlike the demon hunting machine maus). You might find that a rescue organisation that fosters its cats out to homes would have a better idea of their garden behaviour, but it's deffo possible to find one that just likes to lounge around all day. After four, they tend to be a lot less active and their personality is pretty much fixed.

My tubby Puddy only catches things if they throw themselves into her mouth :lol:

Your local cat shelter will know their adoptees characters and will be only too glad to accommodate your requirements if they can. I found my local shelter through catchat.org and they were very happy to help me find the right cat to be a friend for tubby Pud. My lovely gentle Loki-boy loved Puddy from first sight - pity it wasn't mutual, but they wouldn't let her go and pick! :lol:

The shelter was also very happy to let me take as long as I liked to choose, as it was important to them that an adoption was permanent. I'd definitely go back to them in future :D .

My tubby Puddy only catches things if they throw themselves into her mouth :lol:

Your local cat shelter will know their adoptees characters and will be only too glad to accommodate your requirements if they can.

That made me laugh out loud :lol:

Yes, I've been reading about the cats on various websites, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much detail they go into on each cat's character. There's a big RSPCA centre quite close to me in Enfield which I'm going to check out in person when I come back from a trip. Dancing Cloud, your puddy tat sounds like just the sort of lazy lump for me.

Thanks for all the other interesting comments too. I can't wait :D

Caroline

Hi Caroline. You could try and get an older cat that does not go outside, if you are prepared to cope with a litter tray permanently in the house. Also putting a small bell on the cat's collar seems to warn birds that they are in danger, it seems to work with my cat. If you don't have any luck with the RSPCA you could try The Cat Protection League in Archway, they are supposed to be very good.

Tessa

Would that be the Cats' Protection League in Archway that made me cry when I rang them up to see if they needed any newborn kittens fostered after most of Cleo's last litter died? :x Maybe the rehoming team are nicer.

:(:( As far as I know there is only one in Archway, so it must be the same one. Oh dear, sorry you had such a horrible experience. Maybe stick to the RSPCA Caroline, although there is always Battersea Dogs Home who also have a rehoming cat dept.

Tessa

I think I caught them on a bad day. Generally the CPL are lovely, and my parents always rehomed from them.

Just don't speak to a nasty woman in the fostering section with a chip on her shoulder about people who breed pedigree cats.

Hope you find exactly the right puddy tat for you soon!

Sorry to hear of your experience, Aunty E. You must have been feeling sad enough without having to deal with unpleasantness or insensitivity, what a shame. I was interested to read your earlier comment that after about 4yrs old, their characters are generally more or less set.

I'll try the Enfield RSPCA first - a friend of mine said it's big and clean and efficient, and then there's also Wood Green Animal Shelter a bit nearer to home as well. I don't mind waiting. I've seen a lovely looking tabby girl, but she's in Wolverhampton, and also she's 12 which is a bit too old, sadly.

I've waited long enough, slowly wearing Mr Cyber Chook down until he agreed, so I'll just have to be patient a bit longer.

I have one of those covered litter trays, Tessa, which I got from freecycle a while back and hid in the shed as Mr CC hadn't come round to the idea yet.

I'm looking out at My Sparrows as i type. There's one who's well known around here, he only has one leg and wobbles around when he stands, but he seems to manage quite well with the laydeez. We call him One-Leg (how original).

Caroline

We lost Didi, a half persion tabby lady aged 21. I think she was a danger to birds till well into her teens. In desperation, we put 3 bells on her - in fact, when she next visited the vet he asked if she was a morris dancer!

However, Poppy, aged 3, has never caught a bird (she has one bell on). She catches mice though. ( Presumably deaf ones). She is terrified of the chickens which I think has reinforced her non-bird catching habits.

I got that from my cat psychology books (had a tricky introduction period between two of my cats, it's getting better - eighteen months later). Apparently this is the age they reach social maturity. None of mine are that old yet :roll: but Arthur is deffo settled in his personality, as is Cleo. The others do have changeable months, Evie wouldn't sit on our knees for well over a year, and is suddenly a lap cat again. Nero went from tiny skinny kitty cat to big fat tom in about three months, and now dry humps anything that stays still long enough (we pray the hormones settle down after one of our girls comes into season). Ours are split into mousers and bird catchers too. How funny, maybe it's a thing.

My aunt always adopts older cats from CPL. I don't know if all branches do it, but for cats over a certain age, her CPL branch will pick up the vets bills - I guess it helps to get them rehomed if people know they can get help with costs. She is on her third cat in as many years as they have all been really old and not in good health. it is upsetting when she loses them, but they have had their last few months in loved luxury.x

just to add that ours came from the RSPCA and they had lots of 'older' cats (which seems to be aged 2 and upwards so not very old at all) as lots of people want kittens. Anyway, the RSPCA people seemed to really know the history of all the cats and so I'm sure they can sort you out with what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search. My SIL adopted an older cat last year and they absolutely adore him. He's very laid back, I think he's about 4 or 5.

My older cat Sophie hasn't to my knowledge caught anything since she caught and killed my budgie :evil: when she was about 3.

Dave on the other hand still regularly catches anything that moves. I rescued a little mouse from his clutches just the other day. :roll: