jess

NHS Professionals

Honestly I would advise you all to never apply to join this dreadful agency for working. I have been going through the application process for over a month and have to make on average at least eight phone calls every time I call up they are utterly hopeless!

:wall:

Oh dear Jess :?

The last time I worked for an NHS agency they rang me to see if I could do a night shift on the burns unit :? OK, I am a nurse, but I hadn't worked on a ward for over 15 years - I'm in a completely diferent field and would have been more of a liability. When I pointed this out, they said not to worry, I would soon pick it up again!! :shock: Needless to say I didn't take up their offer.

Oh dear Jess :?

The last time I worked for an NHS agency they rang me to see if I could do a night shift on the burns unit :? OK, I am a nurse, but I hadn't worked on a ward for over 15 years - I'm in a completely diferent field and would have been more of a liability. When I pointed this out, they said not to worry, I would soon pick it up again!! :shock: Needless to say I didn't take up their offer.

This reminds me of when my Dad was dying. The hospital had let him fall out of bed 2 nights in a row, the second time leaving him, soiled, on a matress on the floor (this was a private hospital!). Mum and I were going ballistic and the Matron promised she would get a nurse to sit with him through the night. At 7pm this "girl" turned up - on questioning her she was not a nurse but a "care assistant" and hadn't been told what was wrong with Dad (lung cancer, hyper calcemia (sp)) and had never worked with a terminal patient!!!! When we asked the Matron what the hell she was playing at she told us that she'd called the agency for a nurse and this girl was what they had sent - what could she do!!!!

The agency definately played a part in that debacle, you might be interested to know that by 9pm the Matron (following a LOT of fuss on our part - please understand Dad was the ONLY sick patient in the whole hospital, everyone else was post-operative and that afternoons list had been DENTAL!!!) finally got us a nurse (paid her overtime!), it was this nurse who called us at 4am the next morning to say we needed to come back. To this day I dread to think what would have happened if we'd accepted the girl, we may not have been there for him.

:shock::shock::shock: Nightmarish. Have worked for a nursing agnecy trying to place staff. Had nursing managers screaming down the phone, nurses from abroad giving false names, qualifications and either dropping asleep on nights, being rude and agressive. I lasted 6 months in that job. I have done agency too, refused a ward job as like the other nurse havent been near a ward except to visit family or friends and dont know one end of ward from another!! Totally unsafe. Give it a miss and see if you can find work with another agency. Some are frankly an accident waiting to happen :( good luck

This reminds me of when my Dad was dying. The hospital had let him fall out of bed 2 nights in a row,

The agency definately played a part in that debacle,

OMG that brought soooooo much back.

My late husband had a stroke and on one visit there was an agency nurse berating him for bringing his dinner up through his nose ... calling him a silly boy.

I asked how come she didn't realise that stroke victims often lost the ability to swallow whereupon she told me that she usually "did the post natal clinic"

I'm so glad that I don't do any hospital or agency work anymore, as a young staff nurse (I know a very long time ago) I was sent to ITU to sit with a chap that had been crushed by a lorry, I was terrified I'd never worked in ITU ever - so scary to think that these bad practices are still going on

Sign of the times. Places are short of staff and money isn't being invested to have permanent staff on the wards, its catch up and using left over money from other budgets. It would cost so much less and result in such better outcomes if permanent staff were employed. It used to make we scream when I worked in hospital and vacancies were blocked and we still used expensive agency staff. I hoped it had changed.

OMG :shock: It makes me ashamed to be a nurse sometimes and I pride myself on good practice. I am shocked to see nurses dripped in jewellery and hair flopping everywhere it bugs me no end. The midwife who delivered my first son had very long nails encrusted with jewels and I remember thinking I hope one doesnt fall off somewhere it shouldnt!! :shock::shock: She was lovely but oh so not on with all that bling. Flo Nightingale would turn in her grave!! As for talking to an stroke patient like that even if shes a PN nurse she would still have looked after stroke patients in training. They are all uni educated now and havent a clue how to talk to patients. Patients in most cases prefer the nurses trained in the old fashioned way on the wards.

Sign of the times. Places are short of staff and money isn't being invested to have permanent staff on the wards, its catch up and using left over money from other budgets. It would cost so much less and result in such better outcomes if permanent staff were employed. It used to make we scream when I worked in hospital and vacancies were blocked and we still used expensive agency staff. I hoped it had changed.

This is because this government has put so much money into 'targets' - yes they are important, I don't dispute that for one minute but money has been taken away from nurse budgets to ensure that targets are met. It frustrates me immensely when I see staff struggling to give basic care. Ward Nurse Managers and Matrons have budgets and if they don't keep to them they are disciplined - this is what the general public want - an accountable NHS - value for money - well unfortunately this is what you get!!!!!!