chickenanne

I have bees!!!!!!

I think I will do that, no harm in seeing what it entails, looks like another food/animal based hobby on the way :D I have plenty of room so should be able to find a quiet corner, I think I've made up my mind to have a go really but need the info to have a convincing argument with OH. I need to be confident that I would be able to handle looking after bees without wetting my self every time I go anywhere near them :oops:

I spoke to the local man in the BBKA yesterday & he thoroughly recommends the approach you are suggesting; go to classes, see if it's for you, convince DH...... then go the whole hog & get a hive etc.

For Pam & I, he applauds our plan of classes etc this year & hive next year - he would do, it's the way he and most of the members have done it! Just got to get in touch with the local couple who do classes etc.

Sha x

For Pam & I, he applauds our plan of classes etc this year & hive next year - he would do, it's the way he and most of the members have done it! Just got to get in touch with the local couple who do classes etc.

Sha x

ooooo goodie :D :D :D

They are in Tangmere, so fairly equi-distant for each of us! Probably find their bees are miles away.... I'll ring them tomorrow.

Night night!

Sha x

You can keep bees in town; there is generally brilliant forage for them with gardens, tree-lined streets, and public parks, railway embankments,a nd the like. Apparantly a third of an acre of overgrown churchyeard gives bees as much forage as 15 acres of agricultural land (when you think about it, most agricultural land doesn't include many flowering things).

What you do need is a good site: you can keep them in a small garden, and by putting a water source near the hive in your garden (so they don't visit next doors pond), and a tall screen in front of the hive (so they fly up when they enter/exit the hive, as opposed to swwoping over next doors patio) this should mean neighbours won't suffer.

One issue though is that the hives are best checked in warm weather, which is also when most people are out having barbeques/etc., so that can cause problems.

Bees are associated, wrongly, with wasps, and people also have visions of being chased by huge swarms of angry bees. These are both total nonsense: before they swarm, bees eat loads of honey and as such are very docile: they're full of honey, and have no hive or stores to defend, so the most placid bees are swarming bees. But despite this neighbours are likely to be less than keen.

The other problem is chickens: some will be fine, but bees seeing something flapping about in front of their hive may well feel the need to defend the hive by stinging the chicken. It depends if you could fence of the hive so that the chickens can't get really near it.

You'd be surprised though at how many people have small orchards /walled gardens/ etc which they would be delighted to have a hive or two of bees there (with someone else looking after them). Other options are allotments, disused areas around factories etc, areas at care homes, railway land, etc etc: it's worth having a look about your area and seeing if you can figure out who to approach.

If you're interested, definitely look into a course, but don't let a lack of site put you off as there will be options.

well I've got my last beekeeping class tomorrow night - I'm going with a neighbour and we are going to share a hive/well you really need 2 ....but not till next year, we've found it a lot to absorb, tho I'm sure its a bit like chicken keeping, once you get on with it everything falls into place. We will have 3 practicals as well but not till end Apr/start May as thats when things start to happen and both of us want to double check we are really up for it, up close and personal with the bees :D We are extra lucky because other neighbour already has hives (4) so we get to practice on his!!!

One of our tutors said bees forage for up to 3 miles, and I have to say he was a bit sniffy about us siting a new hive about 100 ft away from the existing ones. He may be right....but we've decided nothing ventured nothing gained and in the old days surely people in cottages with small back gardens did it.

The BBKA are great, we've had loads of really experienced and new but very enthusiastic, people talking to us. They are really helpful and everybody is so nice. Its also great to be part of something so timeless and old fashioned. And the best thing isn't the honey, its the bees - they have an incredible social order and sense of survival. Like hens but different. Its a great way of getting back to a way of being/doing/slowing down that many of us have lost.

My last class tonight, I missed last week's due to being stuck at work, and I only just made it tonight but very glad I did. I've been dithering and more or less concluded 'not this year' but the secretary of our local association was there tonight, and she keeps bees in her back garden. She asked if I'd like to go and see hers, and said she and her husband will come and look at my garden to tell me if it's suitable ... so now I'm thinking, well maybe I could start this year.

It's been really useful doing the course - we have an apiary visit in a few weeks when the weather's a bit warmer. Have yours arrived yet, chickenanne?

I would go for it Olly - collect all the things you will need and then ask to go on the swarms list. We had a swarm last June 1st and it took them all summer to build up the brood. They've overwintered and are off to a flying start now. We took a small amount of honeycomb at the end of last summer.

The previous year, we'd started with a Nuc on June 1st and they built up quickly despite the vile summer, we took off a small amount of honey but they then died on March 9th as they just weren't strong enough to get through the winter :( .

We've got a second and third hive ready so that we can either divide the hive we have now or take another swarm later in the season.

So, from starting in June 2007, we are hoping for our first proper harvest of honey this year.

Olly, it sounds ideal. With someone checking your garden as site that would be so useful. I'm very jealous of that....!

Daphne, I'd imagine either there's enough forage in the area for you to keep hives alongside your neighbour, or there isn't....! It doesn't matter if there are already hives in the area, it depends on wether there's enough nectar and pollen to support them. If your neighbour with 4 hives is happy, I wouldn't worry.

Lesley: I'm getting so nervous now, I get the bees tomorrow.... I'm worried they'll stave over the winter, swarm in the summer etc etc. It's good to know that your's are doing so well after the winter now.

Lesley: I'm getting so nervous now, I get the bees tomorrow.... I'm worried they'll stave over the winter, swarm in the summer etc etc. It's good to know that your's are doing so well after the winter now.

We placed the feed in a different place this winter........ - remind me to share details later in the year :)

Good Luck tomorrow........ :D

I've just finished the theory lessons on my course and have my first practical lesson tomorrow. Am really looking forward to it but quite scared too! As long as that goes well, I'm hoping to have bees this year. :D

I've already had one sneaky apiary visit, as the class tutor invited me to go and watch him putting a feed on his hives, there's a general one in April when the whole class gets to go and see them.

I was worried that I might freak out a bit, I don't mind insects and creepy crawlies but I wasn't sure how I'd feel about being so close to a hive of bees. I'm relieved to say that I was ok with it - it's a bit unnerving when there's one crawling up your arm or on the veil, but I soon got used to it. Hope the practical lesson went well, Sam.

Thanks Lesley for your encouragement, I'm going to do some internet pricing tonight (using that eBay site you recommended, amongst others) and work out how much I'll need to invest to start off this year.

Thanks Olly. Really enjoyed it, also went today to the association apiary. First hive was fine but second one had loads of bees in which was a bit unnerving but learnt loads and realised I would be okay with the bees afterall. Felt more confident with the rest. So all systems go now. I will be going to the National Convention in a couple of weeks at Stoneleigh, so hope to pick up the remaining equipment I need there. Then I just need bees!

Our apiary visit (s) are at the end of April and into May. Its reassuring to know other people's experiences have been positive. We purposely decided to wait on our 'practical' before doing any purchasing to check whether or not we could cope with the reality of loads of bees, but now for other reasons as well it makes sense for us to wait until next year before going for our own hives. However, I look forward to keeping up with everybody elses experiences here.