chickenanne

I have bees!!!!!!

I have been sent into a panic . . . a chap I know through work says a friend of his has bees but his wife has just had a cerebral swelling due to a bee sting and they need to reconsider beekeeping, would I be interested? :shock:

Well I would but I couldn't get on a beekeeping course until the end of June!!!!!! Would the knowledge from the bee books I've read and two bee friends I know in town be sufficient to help me keep them in my garden until the course? :anxious::anxious::anxious:

Any advice for a beginner? It's a full hive!!!

Gosh, I'm very :mrgreen: - go for it, a chance like this doesn't come round very often.

Your local beekeeping group will be able to help you. They want everyone to keep healthy bees and it's in their interests to help you get started, and besides it's a bit like chickens - there'll be someone who wants to share what they have learned!

I'd definitely do it, while my course was helpful I don't think I learned much that I couldn't have got from a book - the really practical bit is seeing the bees in action.

The downside with a full colony/hive rather than a nic or swarm is that you will suddenly have LOTS of bees: you need to be very sure you're not going to find this intimidating. The advantage with starting with a nuc or swarm is that they build up in number as your confidence in handling builds up. You also miss the learning experience of building up a small colony, and all that goes with it.

I wouldn't worry about not having done a theory course, you can learn that from books to a large extent. What you really want to do first though is to make sure you can handle the hive and bees. It's easy to jar or bump the hive when you're jsut starting, making the bees v cross - with a smaller colony this is unfortunate but with a full colony when you're on your own and you've never done it before.... this would not be relaxing!

I think the best thing to do is go see the bees, as some types are more placid than others (mine are like little fuzzy teddy bears in comparison to some people's evil stinging machines), and see if you can go through the hive with the current owner standing watching with advice.

Sorry to hear you aren't getting the little buzzers after all, I know how you feel...I was offered 4 Orpies to adopt, was then told they weren't going to be rehomed...then a fortnight or so later they were coming to me after all :roll: . Quite a rollercoaster as you will know from your experience :anxious: .

Why not get yourself set up in case for example a swarm becomes available, you never know, they may come back having changed their minds again & you'll be ready to go quickly.

Sha x

Contact your local beekeeping association, they will be able to arrange for a knowledgeable bod to visit you and say "yay or nay". If "nay" they may know of somebody who has bees who can't do the physical stuff anymore & you could help them without having to site a hive in your own garden.

Good luck!

Sha x

A bit sad that they have decided to keep the bees. Her husband is going to deal with them and his wife will take a back seat. :(

Sorry to hear that you won't be having bees just yet. What about going to see this chap to ask if you can watch and/or have a go at examining the hive to get the feel for beekeeping?

As Olly said, the practical side is far more useful than the books at this stage, and will help you to decide if beekeeping is the hobby for you. I am still very inexperienced when examining my bees, but it is getting easier every time.

Good luck! :D