Omletina Kyckling Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 I was on the forum earlier (just for a change), in the house and I could hear some loud machinery outside....I ignored it for a while and then it started to annoy me, and I wondered what it was...perhaps it was Frank, the builder next door, with some truck or big digger or whatever (we had a lot of this about 18 months ago!!)....then I decided it was the farm, which I'm used to....then I thought, but sounds closer than that.....then it dawned on me.....hubby had obviously started Erik, the tractor who's undergoing the never ending restoration.....I went outside and sure enough, there was a smokescreen coming from the garage....it was the first time he'd run in about 4 months and he started straight away, not bad for a nearly 40 year old tractor, eh?!! Hubby was grinning from ear to ear (a rarity in itself!) and it was lovely to see Erik running. We are approaching the end of the project, and who knows, perhaps I'll get my dining room back - the bonnet just needs decals on and then it can go back on and I've suggested we have a run out over the bank holiday weekend (that'll please anybody out on the roads!!) - I'm actually quite excited about seeing it all done and dusted! This is my dining table at present... and here is Erik in the garage waiting for his bonnet so he can go out to play! The girlies were less impressed, after about five minutes of 12 chickens bok bokking, they all sat down on the patio under the table in a huddle.... I sent my neighbour (who we are good friends with) a text saying "Apologies for noise...boys will be boys and Guy likes bigger toys than most!!" - she thought it was very funny, they are used to our odd ways! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 I thought that was a sewing machine on your table at first glance. A chap should have a hobby. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 All I can say is youre a very patient woman - i would not want to eat my brekkie with that on the table and hussy pussy would not be able to play her harp (as quoted by another forum member and I crack up every time i see her leg cocked up at a rakish angle ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 He doesn't sniff the engine, and then ask if you'd fancy a sniff too? It reminds me of the Gala Bingo ad during Neighbours. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 1, 2009 Author Share Posted May 1, 2009 He doesn't sniff the engine, and then ask if you'd fancy a sniff too? It reminds me of the Gala Bingo ad during Neighbours. He once bought me Diesel perfume for Christmas and then was really disappointed when it didn't smell of diesel..... .....yes he really thought it might..... Fortunately, I'm a bit of a petrol (or diesel) head so I don't mind at all. I suggested his motorbike should live in the conservatory and even that we set up the tractor spray booth in the conservatory too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 You're not alone Diane, I like heavy plant too. We always make sure to go to the Bloxham Show and Steam Rally - loads of wonderful agricultural machinery of all ages and tons of steam engines. My ex used to fettle his bike in the dining room, using my cutlery as tools Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cyber Chook Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 Me too, Claret. I don't think I've ever seen a tractor 1) so spotless, and 2), on a dining room table. Omletina, just tell me, when he managed to get it going, was his little face all lit up and proud?! Caroline Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 I'd love to have some where to tinker like that. I used to service all my past cars, until my mechanic friend and advisor turned up one day and had a fit because I was 7 months pregnant and crawling under the car - he's never let me do it again after that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 1, 2009 Share Posted May 1, 2009 My ex used to fettle his bike in the dining room, using my cutlery as tools No wonder you showed him the door! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 1, 2009 Author Share Posted May 1, 2009 Omletina, just tell me, when he managed to get it going, was his little face all lit up and proud?! Caroline Oh yes, in fact it took me back, I'm sure he used to look at me that way!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kitchens Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 I thought that was a sewing machine on your table at first glance. Me too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 I'd love to know the thought processes leading up to "I want to restore a tractor" . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 Is it going to be the next Omlet 'must try this' along with jam making and vegetable growing? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 2, 2009 Author Share Posted May 2, 2009 I'd love to know the thought processes leading up to "I want to restore a tractor" . I think it's a midlife boys' toy!! My brother has one too, he's had it restored and commutes to work on it (apologies to anybody in the Huddersfield area who encounters a 1973 David Brown tractor on their daily commute, it's probably my bruv!) and he lives in a semi detached bungalow on a housing estate!! The neighbours really love him!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 2, 2009 Author Share Posted May 2, 2009 Is it going to be the next Omlet 'must try this' along with jam making and vegetable growing? Tractors have very good plus points though....when hubby said he was having a tractor, I muttered the immortal words "if you're having a tractor, then I'm getting some chickens and an Eglu" and hence my Eglu and three chickens arrived three weeks later..... Hubby recently pointed out that I'd extended the deal now I have an Eglu, Cube and twelve chickens and that he is owed three more tractors! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 Where is it all going to end? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 What a fantastic looking tractor and the number plate has my intials to Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cyber Chook Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 Hubby recently pointed out that I'd extended the deal now I have an Eglu, Cube and twelve chickens and that he is owed three more tractors! No, Omletina, your husb's maths is a little wobbly there. In fact, your chickens and eglu and Cube only equal one steering wheel, a set of tractor spanners and a tyre. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 3, 2009 Share Posted May 3, 2009 My best friend moved back to Ireland last year - and what has her hubby got?..... a tractor to restore! Deffo a mid life crisis thing! Louise Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...