Phosphorus

Limping chicken

Hi, one of my girls has been limping the last few days. She seems okay in herself and is coming out of the run when the others are let free range, but is obviously in some discomfort walking or standing - she is sitting down a lot. Really alert though, not hunched or anything. She laid two days ago and I don't think she laid a softie (although someone has been a lot lately - didn't think it was her). When she does walk round she is obviously favouring her right leg, like she has trodden on something - but can't see anything obvious on it.

Wondered whether it could be calcium (Egluntine - limestone flour? - where do you get yours?) I have given them extra shell in pots (they always have a pot anyway but do get through it). Or does it sound like she needs a vet visit? I have left her in with the other girls for now as they are not bothering her.

In my experience, as long as there are no signs of injury she should be ok in time. One of my girls bruised her foot on the eglu run and one of my ex batts arrived with a limp, but there was no visible injury and both were fine after a couple of weeks. I would check her leg and foot for any obvious wounds first , then give her a week or so to see if things improve, which I hope they do.

When the girls are in lay, the texture of their bones changes completely and becomes more porous. Thus it's a lot easier for them to do a bit of damage to a toe or a foot, when hopping off a perch for example.

It sounds as though she's fine in herself, so I would just up her calcium for week or so and see how she goes. Good luck!

I watched something about parrots, and they normally have dense bones, but when they're about to lay an egg, to get calcium they pull it out of their bones and as Budgies said, they become porous and a lot less dense.

I've had limping chickens before-usually it's Muddles who manages it and it's usually caused by her jumping off the compost heap and landing at an odd angle on the paving slabs underneath-she was alright after about a week and a half, just a bit lazy.

Make sure you check your hen's foot and leg movements properly and see if there is any swelling. When Muddles did it I think she just sprained her leg as there was no obvious soreness at all.

Thanks everyone. Rosie, my hen with a limp, is a lot better today, so vet wasn't needed afterall. I am going to watch her for the next few days incase it returns but she was running around a bit today and walking with much less favour to her leg.

I did check her yesterday for any obvious injury or swelling, movement was fine. Only slight irritation was where she had been sitting down so much and resting on her legs but that seems better today.

You know, I don't know how many times I've read about using Limestone flour but only tonight after reading Poet's post, and feeding the Tortoise, I realised I've been buying it for years!! :lol:

Hughie has it sprinkled on his food, but it just hasn't clicked before they're the same :roll::lol:

How much do you all pay for it?

Don't forget to only treat with extra calcium rations when you feel it's necessary.

Their food should provide the right balance of calcium and phosphorous, and administering more calcium on a long term basis can cause kidney problems.

As for quantities, I added half a heaped teaspoon to one teaspoon per hen each day.

Dear all

thank you for this excellent answer to the question i no longer need to post! I've noticed one of my girls (white chicken) is limping, no obvious injury, otherwise fine & still very eager to eat Raisins (and laid me a beautiful breakfast egg this morning). So i'm now reassured & will wait & see.

I note that one of the other injured chooks is called Muddles - well mine is called Fuggles so maybe its all in the name!! She is the one of the three who is most likely to do something silly too.

thanks again

Liz