The Dogmother

Super Nanny - I am shocked

It isnt uncommon for the older teenage students i teach to ask what some food items are in the cookery room - peppers, beetroot, kiwi fruit etc :shock:

One of my new students admitted he only learnt how to fry an egg 3 months ago - he put the egg in a pan with no oil/butter and burnt it to a crisp - he is 17.

Poor old Tom got into difficulties in his first cookery lesson of year 7 when he tried to peel a banana with a potato peeler for his fruit salad! I'd not realised that he didn't know what to do because he won't eat bananas himself! We now do a practise run for each cookery lesson the weekend before he has to cook so that he knows what to do. Fun for us and good experience for him. Because he's so faddy, he wouldn't know what many vegetables were either. Ollie's better because he'll eat most things.

I bought a loose little piece of ginger root in Sainsbury's a few weeks ago. The teenage boy on the checkout hadn't got a clue what it was, and when I told him it was ginger he didn't believe me.... had to call a supervisor to check it out. Afterwards he told me that he'd only ever come across ginger in gingernut biscuits :shock:

It isnt uncommon for the older teenage students i teach to ask what some food items are in the cookery room - peppers, beetroot, kiwi fruit etc :shock:

One of my new students admitted he only learnt how to fry an egg 3 months ago - he put the egg in a pan with no oil/butter and burnt it to a crisp - he is 17.

It's better they ask than remain in the dark isn't it. I just think 'food is fuel' is a message that should be getting out there early so it doesn't become a weapon in latter yeras. How many kids would understand a ferrari needing the appropriate fuel not cheap rubbish that'll ruin the engine. Good nourishment = healthy bodies and active minds.

I'm going to have a go at this on my blog and good news that I've been asked to contact 6 people about the charter since monday. These threads are so helpful. :D

BBx

Buff, I'd love more info on any packs you are doing: I am sure we could fit it into our PCSHE (Personal, citizenship, social and health education) lessons. We don't call them this by the way (I HATE jargon)...... they are called "You Can Do It!" lessons, and the kids lovel them. 8)

To be fair, just because you can't identify a courgette or kiwi fruit, doesn't automatically make you stupid, nor does it mean you don't ever eat fruit and veg. My children eat bananas, apples, grapes, pears, melon and cherries until they are coming out of their ears, but wouldn't be able to identify a kiwi fruit, because they've all tried it earlier in their lives and hated them. The same with veg - there is some they eat daily, some they don't.

Much better for a checkout operator to ask what it is they are charging you for, than to overcharge you, you complain to the store, and they get a warning.

well said Shona and Buffie...

I'm sure it was never the intention - but this thread comes across as very unattractively judgemental

My kids eat junk food - they go to MacDonalds, they have crisps in their lunchboxes, they couldn't identify every fruit and vegetable in the supermarket (neither could I, with absolute confidence) (oops - yes - we shop in a supermarket!). None of us have ever eaten celeriac - and I wouldn't recognise it it if walked up to me in a floodlit alleyway and kicked me in the unmentionables... I wouldn't have known what ginger looked like when I was a teenager...

sitting back congratulating ourselves and bashing other parents and their kids is not the answer (which is why I say well done to the Buffster for getting in there to make a difference.) There are often reasons for the lifestyles other people lead - it is rarely simply stupidity...

Phil (now dismounting high-horse just for a moment..)

Phil, you have a slight point there - this thread was never meant to be judgemental, and having said that, I don't feel that any of the contributors are congratulating themselves. In fact some of them have happily been pointing out their childrens' aversion to 'healthy foods'.

In some cases there are 'valid' reasons for peoples ignorance about healthy diets, but mostly it comes back to a failure in the past to educate people fully through the media (with the emphasis on advertising less healthy foods), and the lack of willingness some people show to learn new things and step outside the box. Happily, there now seems to be a drive to re-educate about healthy eating and a lot of people are taking this on board and forming new habits. Some people will always stay the same, however, and will resist and changes - that's up to them, but I feel that it is a shame if their children are facing the consequences.

Well said, both Phil and Clare. I am sure this thread is not knocking anybody, as we all have examples of children who don't eat the correct foods for a variety of reasons, yet grow up to be "perfect specimens":

OH never ate any vegetable other than peas until he was 20 years old (and started living with me :oops: ). His diet was totally unambitious and traditional: Why? Because his parents ate that way and he was always made to eat what was on his plate.... all of it. :roll: He never tried food for fear he wouldn't like it and would be forced to eat it.... :vom:

If anybody looked at what he ate as a child (living in a pub) they would be horrified: crisps, chocolate and coke on tap, literally. Anyone who has seen him will know that he is far from obese and as fit as a butcher's dog: His body fat score is only 18%...He can run a half marathon ( :oops: Edited: 10K I have been reliably informed by himself...) in under 45 minutes....... I'm not divulging what my percentage is, and I couldn't run half a mile...... :oops:

All I am trying to say is that there are a huge number of factors which contribute to obesity, but a healthy diet in the early years is proven to be a great start and one we should be trying to encourage all of our youngsters to have. Surely "Ooops, word censored!"ody is saying otherwise?

Edited by Guest

To be fair, just because you can't identify a courgette or kiwi fruit, doesn't automatically make you stupid, nor does it mean you don't ever eat fruit and veg.

Oh blimey! I didnt mean it like that at all :oops:

I wasnt implying the kids were stupid (or anyone else for that matter) just how shocked i was that some of my students hadnt been exposed to certain experiences with regards to food - like shopping for fresh fruit & veg instead of it coming out of the freezer or a tin.

My mum used to teach domestic science, and said that some of the girls didn't know that eggs came from chickens! I always thought that they were having her on, but maybe not!

I saw that Supernanny, but the way, and thought it was an excellent - though shocking - programme. It was good to see her handle a different sort of problem, and with a considerable degree of success. I just hope the parents managed to keep up their changed behaviour - because that was the key factor in this case.

I've only just caught up with this thread, which is a shame because, as you all know I am an expert when it comes to children (i.e they should be seen and not heard and when they are seen they should be up a chimney or down a coal mine. :wink: )

I did catch the beginning of last weeks with the little boy who seemed to have a real problem eating and it was put down to gastric flu when he was a baby - it must have been really difficult to deal with but I agree that many children seem to be "faddy" eaters

I know that there are more "childrens" foods around now, but I always ate what my parents ate and even if it was somehting I didnt like I still had to have a bit (e.g. veggies - which I now LOVE!)

many of my friends seem to have children that wont eat anything but..... whatever it is

my Goddaughter who is coming up to 15 is a joy - she's vegetarian and will eat almost anything - her parents have always given her what they eat and its so nice to be able to cook without a child saying "I dont like that" and then demanding crisps / chocolate.

I have to say if friends and family come over for dinner and the children dont like what I have cooked they go hungry - sorry - do you want to call the child police for my cruelty?

Both LSH and I come from families where we used to have to eat what was put in front of us too, Mel and we did because we knew we'd be hungry if we didn't!! I used to hate liver and onions but ate it or I wouldn't have any pudding! I've tried this approach with my two but it's not working :( . I refuse to cook them anything separately though! They'll eat if they're starving :wink: .

I watched last nights, and was far more appalled by it than last weeks. More at the way the mother spoke to her daughter - I can't bear parents who swear at their children. Yes, I realise we all have days when the children are really getting on our nerves, and it's easy to lose your temper, but to use language like that is just appalling. You can't really expect your child to not swear, if you're calling her names, right in her face, like a bully.