Budgies

Wernlas Collection

Funny you should mention it.......

Have just ordered 4 chicks today which they are growing on for me until my Walk in run is ready :D

They were recommended to me by my Doctor of all people, and she'd had them recommended by other people.

The woman I spoke to was absolutely lovely, really helpful and friendly. Good selection of birds too!

Yes, I have got quite a few of my girls from Wernlas and have nothing but good things to say about the place. The chickens are lovely and the people there very helpful - I would definitely recommend them, and it's a great place to visit to look at the amazing variety of chooks.

Has anyone used these people to supply their chooks?

If so, I'd be very grateful for any feedback or opinons you might have.

Yes, my four came from Wernlas and arrived in excellent condition. Wernlas were a delight to deal with, and they deliver - although delivery is expensive, it was great for me because I don't live anywhere near a breeder and I don't drive.

The only misgiving I had was that when I first got her my Exchequer Leghorn showed signs of having been bullied (several scabs on her comb) and was, perhaps as a consequence, aggressive towards the other hens. However, I put a bumper bit on her, and her comb healed up, and there have been no more scabs. She also appears to be older than the others, and I wondered - but I didn't ask - if she had been in another customer's flock (where the bullying happened) and then was returned to Wernlas. But this is total speculation.

My cream legbar and Dorking came from wernlas. The couple I dealt with were very pleasant and helpful, though there did seem to be some confusion about the age of the birds, when I first enquired they were 10/12 weeks old, 2 weeks later they were 16/17weeks :? I think they may have been a little younger than that.

We had a look around their pens while we were there, all the birds looked healthy and happy, though there were a few groups wearing bumper bits.

Brilliant - I had my Gold laced wyandotte & my gold legbar from there last year - fabulous birds. Wyandotte is soon to be a mummy! ( sat on 5 mixed eggs).

I also had Cobar & Partridge cochin fertile eggs from there which I hatched last year, without any problems.

My sister had 3 day old silkie chicks from there & they turned out one boy & 2 girls, which she wanted. One of those recently had chicks!

All in all - Wernlas are brilliant!

Emma.x

I have had six hens from Wernlas: two brought by my son, and four delivered by their special courier.

They are gorgeous hens, and were spotlessly clean with no problems. The two Cochins and the Buff Orpington are gorgeous, and the Cobar is the gentlest and softest hen ever. The gold-laced and silver-laced Wyandotte (in two different years) were a bit odd in their behaviour, but I get the impression that these are generally dotty birds.

I had two girls from Wernlas, really lovely girls.

Lovely, thanks for all your replies.

I'm amazed that they do an innoculation programme - don't often see that in pure breeds! :clap:

The problem for most small breeders is that vaccines are only available in vast, vast quantities, they can't buy just the small amount needed for their flocks.

Wernlas supply so many birds that it;s cost effective for them to do it. It's part of the reason their birds are so much more expensive many than other breeders.

:D Thanks so much for your replies everyone, all very helpful.

I agree WitchHazel, it's mostly the cost of the vaccines that make it financially inviable for small breeders to treat their chickens.

I don't mind absorbing some of this cost if it means I get chickens that have been innoculated. We get so many wild birds in our garden despite not encouraging any in with bird feeders etc that it would be very easy for my hens to come into contact with all sorts of pathogens when free-ranging!

It's really great to hear that overall people have had very positive experiences with Wernlas. Getting excited now!! :dance: