daisymay

2 tier cage for guinea pig

Hi All

Am tracking down some guinea pigs so now seriously investigating cage options. I intend to keep the guinea pigs indoors at night and outside during the day. I have seen some 2 tier cages and wondered if any of you had experience of such cages. I spoke to a local breeder and she said not to get a 2 tier cage as guinea pigs get confused and only stay on 1 level. Any feedback on this?

Thanks again

We have a 2 tier cage because in past we had male and female guinea pigs so they had to be kept separate. So when they all died and we decided to get more piggies we thought we would use all the space available to put a ramp in.

Well they have never used it apart from when we are there persuading them to go up and down with food.

Obviously this is just my experience and plently of pet shops sell 2 tier cages to rabbits and guinea pigs so they must use them(i think ours are just wimps! and probably don't know what it is) Also I've seen photos on here of cages with wooden ramps that guinea pigs use.

Also we were told not to keep them outdoors during the day and inside at night because it messes with their body temperature. We have ours outside all year round and just bring them in during the winter.

When are you getting your guinea pigs? Are you getting babies or older ones?

Let us know how you get on.

Emma

Well we've got our piggies. We got 3 baby Abyssinian ones and went for the 2 tier cage. One is ginger and white, one is black and white and the 3rd is black and tan and very very fluffy! We've had them for about 2 weeks now. They are so sweet and very tame. They don't use the ramp yet, but I've seen a tunnel on the internet that I think I might try.

Will keep you posted!

Hi

I have two 2 tier cages and have never had any major issues with new guineas not wanting to go up the ramp, but sometimes they need a bit of persuading so i put them halfway up the ramp facing downwards and give them a gentle nudge down so that they get the idea.