Old Speckled Hen

Olympic Games

Ok, so with Rugby Sevens and Golf set to be in the 2016 Olympics what would you have in or take out. Should Darts be there? It fulfills all the IOC criteria which amazed me. Should we junk Synchronized Swimming? Watching a few of those routines as a judge would make me lose the will to live. How about Beach Volleyball a spectator sport if there ever was one .... oooh those skimpy costumes.

What do you think ?........... if anything.

Take it all out and cancel the whole thing. Sport BAH!

Planning to do a house swap with some idiot who wants to come and watch it - thinking Australia but Mum will probably not do the flight so maybe US somewhere...

I love it!

I can't wait till I can apply for tickets!! Went to the Commonwealth Games in Manchester a few years ago - and the atmosphere was amazing.

The Track Events were spectacular (Paula Radcliffe running rings on her opponants!) but bizarrely Badminton was also brilliant to watch! The whole place was electric!

So as Badminton was so good, I would like to see Squash in there as well - although I don't know how many spectators could watch in one go...

Synchronised swimming - definitely out. And not sure about Darts...... And Beach Volley Ball should be sponsered by The Sun!

But Rugby!! I love watching that... Maybe for some of the wrong reasons... :oops:

But Rugby!! I love watching that... Maybe for some of the wrong reasons... :oops:

I'm with you there, all those thighs! :oops: Only one thing better than rugby, and that's rugby in the rain..... :drool::oops:

How about tiddly-winks, or Olympic mud-sliding? Not taking this seriously am I? I'll get me coat..... :roll:

BeckyBoo

Take it all out and cancel the whole thing. Sport BAH!

I'm with you on this Pengy. We really cannot afford to host the Olympic Games, we will

end up with a huge debt which we really don't need right now. London will be a nightmare

whilst it is on, they are closing a lot of main routes to us mere mortals so that the officials and competitors can get around more easily :evil: I really object to my council tax being used to fund it not to mention the lottery money which is supposed to go to good causes.

I 'think' I heard something on the news about woman's boxing being included, yuck!!

Tessa

Planning to do a house swap with some idiot who wants to come and watch it - thinking Australia but Mum will probably not do the flight so maybe US somewhere...

Now,theres a thought 8)

Wonder if we could do this too - we are right on top of the venue for some of the rowing after all , & only 40 mins from town :lol:

:wink: I support most sports and the 2012 totally - have special interest in the gymnastics and swimming at this coming event . Did however hear the debate re. womens boxing on J.Vine radio2 and have some reservations.

Should we go back to original "olympic" games - or do the socially acceptable - here and now - games - (major cull of all disciplines if the former voted for me thinks :eh: )

By the way Fred - do we really need lifegaurds at the games - surely swimmers are proven by that point, and the coaches can rescue :dance: JOKING :angel:

OK Bronze now you have crossed the line

Only sport worth watching is F1!

Thankfully - NOT an olympic sport - has much better politics (anyone believe the neck excuse - or do we ALL think he has thrown his toys outta the pram having not been allowed to test the car (sorry CHEAT!)).

Is a perfect sport as is - close London for 2 weeks and let them race F1 cars around rather than spend a small fortune on a few stadia in Stratford of all places!

Thankfully - NOT an olympic sport - has much better politics (anyone believe the neck excuse - or do we ALL think he has thrown his toys outta the pram having not been allowed to test the car (sorry CHEAT!)).

Is a perfect sport as is - close London for 2 weeks and let them race F1 cars around rather than spend a small fortune on a few stadia in Stratford of all places!

I don't have a problem with it. quite often watch f1 but I don't think it should be classed as a sport

For olympic swimmers with a bunch of trained coaches on the side of the pool? Yeah lifeguards are so a good use of money in that situation.

I go to a gym with a pool. There are NO lifeguards when it's general swimming and the pool is full of parents and small kids. Sometimes there are kids in with the kids club and one kids club staff is in the pool one on the side - both trained lifeguards but ONLY watching the kids in their care. Only time there are lifeguards are when the small kids are under the supervision of swimming teachers who are IN THE POOL WITH THEM. How many in a group? Oh up to 5 in some groups. How many Mummies sitting round the pool watching - enough to fill all the available chairs and loungers.

Nice that you stand a chance of getting in free to something you are interested in Fred. 2 of my cousins have put their names down for something similar - I don't think they are anticipating doing much more than getting in free though.

I don't have a problem with it. quite often watch f1 but I don't think it should be classed as a sport

Its sport, they race - there are winners and losers, isn't that what sport is about?

But if you can get in free Fred then best of luck for you. Even for a price those tickets are gonna be hard to come by. I guess they won't be able to be sold on Ebay either - are people banned from sports like they are from football?

Its sport, they race - there are winners and losers, isn't that what sport is about?

I have to say that I think F1 is more about advancing technology than sport in it's true sense. Darts, snooker, nah. Sport (to me) is about men and women training their bodies in a particular discipline to the best of their abilities, stretching the limits of normal physical endurance. I know F1 drivers have to be fit but if it was entirely based on their fitness it would do nothing to enhance the performance of the cars - that's down to which team employs the best engineers, technicians etc. Darts, snooker etc - oh yes, they practise for hours and weeks and years, but I don't think the human frame is challenged at all - more a stretching of mental judgement skills.

I think Olympic sport is track, athletics, swimming (but distance and style not synchronised which is very skilled without doubt....) and that sort of stuff.

Bit early for me, better get me coffee!!

BeckyBoo

I don't care how much training people do running is just running and rather yawn inducing. Same for throwing and jumping and swimming. Not keen on individual games at all and most of the team games are not much better.

Now a car racing around with the prospect of crashes, all that technology - closely working teams, strategy etc etc now that is exciting.

Even I can run 100m - not very fast but I can do it....