Gem_Seb

Wheat Intolerence??

My friend has suggested that i might have a wheat intolerence. I few months ago i went out for a meal and was drinking wine, a few hours later i woke up with a massive swelling in my neck! my glands had swollen up very very big! it took over a week to go down properly.

I have been feeling unusually tired to the point where i dont think i can get out of bed, i ache and feel bloated a lot. I was bitten by something on my hand a few weeks ago. They took a week to go down where i was just left with res marks on my hand, then i was out drinking with friends at a party and ate buffet food on Friday night and woke up on Saturday with two big itchy lumps on my hand worse than when i was first bitten and itching like hell!!

I have also been steadily been putting on weight, i have with lots of hard work lost 2st but have now been the same since April no matter how much i cut down or go to the gym...

I have been to the docs and they have tested me for the usual glandular fever and thyroid and full blood count but all came back clear I never thought of allergies until my friend suggested it earlier..

Anyone have experience of allergies or symptoms?! any info greatly appreciated im fed up with feeling ill and tired all the time!

my hubby is coeliac so cant have anything with flour wheat etc, if he does he usually comes out in blisters and has too visit toilet very frequently, so i would say no wheat intolerance, as usually, lose weight rather than gain, blisters rather than lumps and sitting on toilet for a while lol

so hope you find out what it is :D

Ah i thought it was weight loss rather than gain as well! I get mouth ulcers all the time but i cant work out a link as to what is causing it but if its something that is in a food that i dont realise i dont know how i will find out what it is!

Has anyone had an allergy test done in a herbal shop or anything? im not sure how accurate they are or what they pick up!

The only type of allergy test that works is a "skin prick test" where they prick a small amount of allergen into the surface of your skin. If you come up in an itchy lump, you are allergic to that allergen. However, wheat intolerance is NOT an allergy. It is a completely different type of reaction, so there is no point testing for wheat. A skin prick test will test for allergy to, for example, house dust mite, pollen, dog, cat, bird etc. Beware of various "quack" companies suggesting they can test your for allergy with a sample of your hair or similar. They cannot. All they can do is to take your £££.

(I did my PhD on asthma and allergy and have since written training materials for GPs and nurses doing Master's level diploma in allergy, so I do know a bit about it).

oo in my gym they have been doing a thing called KT test,, anyone aware of this? its meant to give you a list of things you should stay away from, things that you should have in moderation and things that you are completley fine with.

A few people in the gym have written up on the board about it and said its good not sure if this is a marketing thing or not though!

I have a severe intolerance to potatoes, they make me sick, I come out in a rash, and have to stay close to the loo :oops:

Thankfully, I can generally stay away from them. Even peeling them for OH makes my hand itch.

But I suppose everyone's allergy reactions are different. Although a doctor once told me that a true allergy will give you anaphalactic shock (sp?), other reactions are a sign of a gross intolerance and not strictly an allergy.

I don't know if this is true :?

I was diagnosed as a coeliac a couple of years ago - I had gone undiagnosed for 17 years!! There is typical (rash, losing weight, frequent bathroom visits, etc) and atypical coeliac. The symptoms for atypical coeliacs can be rather vague, which is why they took so long for it to be diagnosed in my case. I was constantly tired, and put on weight, as I was hungry all the time - they don't think that my body was processing food properly, hence the hunger. A bloodtest which demonstrates increased TTG is a good indicator that you have coeliacs. Your GP can carry this out.

Coeliac is a gluten intolerance (gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye and a similar substance is found in oats), whilst wheat allergy is something different. My consultant did explain the difference between an intolerance and an allergy, but it went straight over my head (in my defence, I had just been diagnosed, so was a bit dazed!).

It is definitely worth speaking to your GP about your concerns, but I noticed that each time these symptoms started you had also been drinking and/ or at a party. I know that the additives in some alcohol can have unpleasant effects on some people (particulary red wine) - is there something in this, do you think?

PS: If you are diganosed with coeliacs, then beer is out too, I'm afraid.

It could be a Sulphite allergy?

My daughter is allergic to Eggs, dairy and soya. She was also tested for coeliac through a blood test (she is 2 btw) however it came back a false negatiive as her immunity was also low which can affect the coeliac result.

She is now waiting to have a biopsy at GOSH to test for it.

Push for a blood test first and take it from there.

Michelle

I'm fairly certain that Bud is not gluten free. It is made from barley, and is not listed in my Coeliac Society directory of foods that are gluten free.

definatly not in book, so would advise friend not to drink if she is coeliac :)

You're right :) there are very few beers and lagers that are gluten free due to the barley in the process, whiskey on the other hand is :lol: something to do with the distillation process.

I was diagnosed coeliac a number of years ago after being unwell for years :( a blood test can be used as an indicator, I had a gastroscopy and biopsy to give my results as the lining of the gut is destroyed by the body reacting to the gluten in food :(

Hope you get some answers soon.

Karen x

As I said, above, I have written an allergy course for GPs and nurses. Here are some (edited) excerpts from it that I hope may help you to understand the different types of allergy and intolerance:

"The body has found an effective way to combat foreign intruders such as bacteria or viruses – the immune system. This defence is regulated by the balance of supporting and inhibiting activities. In healthy, non-allergic persons, the balance is correct. In those who suffer from allergies, however, the balance shifts so that the body reacts to certain (harmless) foreign substances much more strongly than necessary. This defence reaction of the immune system of an allergic patient is so strong, that it actually damages the body tissues themselves and manifests as an allergy or hypersensitivity. There are different types of hypersensitivity (see below) but the type that causes allergy is type I hypersensitivity in which the immune system produces too much of the antibody, immunoglobulin E (IgE).

The predisposition for the immune system to over-produce IgE is called atopy. People can have atopy (be atopic) and not have an allergy – they may or may not develop an allergy at a later stage. Similarly, a person who is allergic to one substance may become allergic to another substance.

Types of allergy

There are several different manifestations of allergy and it is not unusual for a person who is atopic to suffer from more than one of them. The allergic conditions we will be covering in this course are:

• Asthma – allergy in the lungs, characterised by a feeling of tightness in the chest, wheezing, coughing and breathlessness

• Rhinitis – allergy in the nose, characterised by sneezing, runny and itchy nose, often together with allergic conjunctivitis (red, itching, watery eyes), it can occur seasonally (seasonal allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever) or all year round (perennial allergic rhinitis)

• Atopic dermatitis (eczema) – allergy in the skin, characterised by itching with redness, scaling, weeping and thickening of the skin. It can occur anywhere on the body but is often found on the face, scalp, and flexures (bends) of the elbows, knees and wrists.

• Acute urticaria – allergy in the skin, characterised by reddening and itching of the skin followed by the development of a raised swollen area (hive) that is initially red but may become pale. This reaction is also known as ‘nettle rash’ as it resembles a nettle sting. It can occur in response to a variety of triggers. Angioedema is a form of urticaria that manifests as swelling of the face and mouth

• Food allergy – this can manifest not only with gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting) but also as urticaria, eczema, asthma and anaphylaxis.

• Anaphylaxis – a sudden, severe, generalised allergic reaction, characterised by itching, angioedema, bronchospasm, severe drop in blood pressure with vascular collapse, and shock."

"Type I hypersensitivity

Type I hypersensitivity is the cause of most allergies. It is characterised by an immediate response following exposure to the allergen (within minutes). When a person becomes allergic to a foreign antigen (allergen), the first step is sensitisation...the allergen stimulates cells to produce IgE antibodies specific for that allergen. Not every sensitised individual will go on to develop allergic symptoms, but once they are sensitised they are at risk of developing them (i.e., they are atopic). In some sensitised people, then, when they are exposed to the allergen on a subsequent occasion, the allergen binds to the IgE which is carried on the mast cells and basophils causing these cells to release their inflammatory mediators...principally histamine. The symptoms of type I hypersensitivity are mainly caused by the immediate release of histamine from mast cells. Histamine causes nerve irritation (itch), increased permeability of vessel/cell walls (swelling) and vasodilatation (redness). The reaction can be limited to a small area (localised), for example urticaria on the skin, asthma in the lungs, or systemic, for example anaphylaxis.

Type II hypersensitivity (antibody-dependent)

In type II hypersensitivity, there is an inappropriate, spontaneous or induced (e.g., by drugs) production of IgG and IgM antibodies to self-proteins. This may cause acute (e.g., haemolytic anaemia, with complement activation) or chronic (autoimmune thyroid disease, pernicious anaemia) cell destruction.

Type III hypersensitivity (immune complex initiated)

In type III hypersensitivity, soluble immune complexes form in the circulation and deposit in various tissues where they may trigger inflammation. Antibodies to a wide variety of antigens can create these complexes. For example, antibodies to meningococcal bacteria can result in complexes that are deposited in the brain causing aseptic meningitis.

Type IV hypersensitivity (cell-mediated)

In type IV hypersensitivity, immune cells recognise allergen and work with other immune cells to regulate the hypersensitivity reaction, by releasing various chemicals called cytokines that mobilise other immune cells to fight the allergen, causing inflammation and tissue damage. Because it takes time for the cytokines to mobilise the cells, this type of hypersensitivity takes 24–48 hours to develop and is often known as delayed-type hypersensitivity. Allergic contact eczema is an example of a type IV reaction. Coeliac disease is another type IV hypersensitivity reaction."

and later in the course:

"food ‘allergy’ refers only to known IgE- or cell-mediated reactions, whereas food ‘intolerance’ refers to adverse reactions caused by other mechanisms – often unknown. Most food allergy (for example anaphylaxis caused by peanut, shellfish or egg) is mediated by IgE (Type I hypersensitivity), although the involvement of foods, such as milk and eggs, in atopic dermatitis may involve Type IV mechanisms. Non-allergic food intolerance has a variety of mechanisms, many of which are unknown and for which there are no reliable diagnostic tests. Some food intolerance is associated with psychosomatic illness, which makes diagnosis more difficult."

Hope this helps.

BTW, allergy skin testing requires testing for a type I reaction. Other tests measure how much IgE there is in your blood. Any other kinds of test will not diagnose allergy. This is why virtually all the tests you send off money and, e.g., a hair sample, are scams.

my partner is self diagnosed intolerant to wine and red meat - both make her tummy swell up like shes pregnant and affects her loo visits :-)

The drs will suggest you keep a food diary and try cutting out types of food until you are left with no reaction, then to slowly introduce food groups again.

If you keep an eye on when the symptoms occur, you may be able to work it out for yourself eg wine

I have no idea what it is in wine that someone can be intolerant to, but I'd love to know

my partner is self diagnosed intolerant to wine and red meat - both make her tummy swell up like shes pregnant and affects her loo visits :-)

The drs will suggest you keep a food diary and try cutting out types of food until you are left with no reaction, then to slowly introduce food groups again.

If you keep an eye on when the symptoms occur, you may be able to work it out for yourself eg wine

I have no idea what it is in wine that someone can be intolerant to, but I'd love to know

Red wine can trigger histamine release. When I was working in the allergy and ashtma dept at Guy's Hospital, patients going for lung function testing were told not to have red wine, cheese or coffee as these can affect the results (in different ways).

I have no idea what it is in wine that someone can be intolerant to, but I'd love to kn

Just found this on the net!

According to latest research, there are certain proteins in wines that can cause allergies to consumers. The yeast used to convert sugar into alcohol creates proteinaceous compounds, during the fermentation process. These Proteinaceous compounds can create flu like symptoms in consumers like headache, blocked nose and sneezing.

the most usual allergen in commercial wine is the preservative, normally a sulphite type of chemical (if memory serves, it's a metabisulfite). Blocked nose and blotchy skin is a typical allergic response

Many so-called wine allergic reactions are not true allergies at all but are related to the sulfites used to preserve red and white wine as well as beer. If you’re able to drink other forms of alcohol without a problem but have problems with wine and beer, you may be experiencing a sulfite reaction. Generally, wine allergic reactions that are related to the presence of sulfate

Interesting....

It may well be that it is red wine alone that gives you this reaction. It used to be my 2nd favourite tipple. About 20 years ago I stopped, as even one mouthful gives me severe sickness & migraine the next day! It may be only some types of course, but I just don't risk it now, and beer is fine for me.

Only 2 things give me this reaction; red wine....and sleeping at my sister's house, (without red wine). Haven't worked that one out yet. I'm not sure I can ever stay again, it's happened about 5 times, but on no other occasion (other than previously the red wine.) I'd love ideas on this one. (Poison? :shock::lol: ) Actually, I'll start another topic, rather than hijack yours.

Someone said the red wine may be linked to the liver & a missing ensyme? :?

I'd never recommend cutting out foodstuffs just in case, a balanced diet is ideal, but process of elimination is good, or hospital advice if other foods are suspected.

If you find excluding red wine stops your symptoms that's easy to handle. :lol: Interesting about solfites, will read up later.