iwannachicken

Will a chicken be happy on her own?

I have just lost 2 out of the 3 chickens we had(thought we had lost all 3 but found Harley untouched the next morning). I am still really upset about the whole situation but feel sorry now for Harley who is on her own. Will she be a happy chicken on her own or should i buy her some other friends. As i am still really upset at just having lost our beloved chickens i didn't want to buy any more just yet,but seeing Harley on her own i feel so sorry for her but also scared that this could happen again(The neighbours dog managed to get into our garden and attacked them :( ) .

I just don't know what to do for the best? Any advice and kind words appreiciated.

Thanks.

So sorry to hear what has happened :( What do the dog owners have to say about it? I am no expert but have read that chickens are not at all happy on their own. I only have 2 and thay are glued at the hip so I can believe this to be true. If you are unable to think about new chickens at the moment maybe you could find a home for the one remaining? Otherwise, I would find your girl a friend as soon as possible. Hugs for you.

Get her some friends as soon as you can, chooks are flock creatures & are much happier with friends...not to mention warmer during the cold nights which are here already :anxious: .

It's very hard to loose a chook to a known dog, a neighbour's mum visited with her dog & attacked my girls, killing Tulip & traumatising Hazel horrendously ...........apparently soft as butter, wouldn't hurt a fly etc etc ....yeah right still killed my girl though :evil:

Fortunately we still had 9 other girls, so getting more girls wasn't an instant decision, but really it is the best for Harley and they will help to mend your broken heart with their silly antics.

There are so many breeds out there, you can get 2 different ones if that helps....

RIP Tikka & Dippa :cry:

Sha x

The owners were very apologetic and have offered to pay for the chickens(I know it doesn't change things but we unfortunatley can't turn back time) Like your's, they always did things together and we don't really want to rehome her. So perhaps i will have to put my emotions aside and think what will be best for Harley.Thank You.

So sorry to hear what has happened :( What do the dog owners have to say about it? I am no expert but have read that chickens are not at all happy on their own. I only have 2 and thay are glued at the hip so I can believe this to be true. If you are unable to think about new chickens at the moment maybe you could find a home for the one remaining? Otherwise, I would find your girl a friend as soon as possible. Hugs for you.

Thank You everyone for your advice.

As the saying goes 'Birds of a feather flock together'(I think that's right) I thought that would be the case, so we will go and get her some new friends and like you say it will help mend broken hearts.

It is just so upsetting especially the way they died, and it must have been so frightening for Harley! You can tell she is not herself but saying that she still managed to lay an egg the day after the event! Bless her!

Again Thanks.

So we went and bought Harley 2 new friends today. Didn't quite have the same excitement as when we first bought our chickens but they are lovely all the same.

We now have Harley, Quinn and Ivy!!! As in the batman characters. Harley is giving them a bit of a hard time at the moment but nothing too harsh. Fingers crossed they will become the best of friends :pray:

Thank You all for your sound advice as always.

I have only let them free range together at the moment. But Harley is making herself known. She was bottom of the pecking order before so i think she may be making sure that doesn't happen again. I have never had to introduce new chucks to each other before so i am a novice at this. But i have had different advice of how to introduce them, so to be honest i am just going with what i feel is right at the moment.

Please anyone, feel free to advise me of how they did it.

picutes!!! must... see......pictures!!!

I will update with some pics once they have settled in. Thank goodness i took lots of pictures and videos of Tikka and Dippa as they were always so entertaining. :cry: Some people just do not understand how precious they are, (they are just chickens!) If only they knew.

absolutely - my dad got me realoly angry at the week-end when Nutmeg was so badly injured, his view was "its only a chicken, its no wonder you two have chest infectiosn having a bird in teh house!"... oooooh, did he get shoulted at!

They are NOT merely chickens, they are part of your family. End of story. :shameonu:

These new girls won't ever replace the two you lost, but they will make their own place in yuor heart

Carolyn x

Can you not get her some more friends then Trixabell?

Hard as the decision is to make, you have to do the best for your situation, good luck honey & RIP Martha :(

Sha x

Sadly i feel I have come to the end of my chicken keeping for now, i have so many animals that i am not giving them all the attention that i should and tend to spend my weekends clearing out cages and hutches etc

As the chickens have naturally passed away i feel its time to let them go for now, i may get some more in the future but my home life is very up in the air atthe moment and i don't want the commitment right now.

I gave 3 ex batts a nice home for the rest of their lives, i feel i've done well and my girls meant everything to me, everything in the world and to some extent Gwyn still does, so i shall find her a new home that she can live out the rest of her days in x

Hi, Very sorry to hear about what happened, although i feel in this situation you have to pt aside your feelings for a few moments and do what is best for the chickens welfare and either find it a friend or give her away for a while until your ready too either take her back or buy some new ones altogether :(

Can you not get her some more friends then Trixabell?

Hard as the decision is to make, you have to do the best for your situation, good luck honey & RIP Martha :(

Sha x

Sadly i feel I have come to the end of my chicken keeping for now, i have so many animals that i am not giving them all the attention that i should and tend to spend my weekends clearing out cages and hutches etc

As the chickens have naturally passed away i feel its time to let them go for now, i may get some more in the future but my home life is very up in the air atthe moment and i don't want the commitment right now.

I gave 3 ex batts a nice home for the rest of their lives, i feel i've done well and my girls meant everything to me, everything in the world and to some extent Gwyn still does, so i shall find her a new home that she can live out the rest of her days in x

I hope everything settles at home for you..... the "lost" girls and Gwyn will I'm sure all appreciate the love you have poured into them and making their retirement as happy as possible.

As I said you have to make the decisions according to your situation, and for what it's worth I think you are making the right decision..... life has a habit of jumping up & throwing curves balls at us which we have to dodge or catch......this one you are catching & making the necessary moves, good luck with finding Gwyn a new loving home :pray:

Sha x