patsylabrador

soldiers

I was wondering if anyone else has someone out in Afghanistan. I know we can't talk about postings and so on but I'd like to say Hi and I'm curious about what other people put in their parcels. I find it hard to stick to the 2kg limit. Lots of haribo get sent out and tabasco sauce to liven up ration packs and I've learnt to rip off any excess packaging. The lads were making their own bread at one point so I sent out a little camping grill which turned out to be 'a good bit of kit'.

Hi,

I don't know anyone out there,but feel for you having a loved one so far away over Christmas.

I saw some packs of Biltong/Beef jerky in Tesco, which would be light & give a nice savoury protien boost. How about seeds too, which he could nibble on or add to the bread they make?

Personally,I couldn't be without Lea & Perrins sauce,Marmite & English Mustard if I was on a blandish diet either :P

Hope this helps :P

Can I just echo what Happy Chicken said. They are doing uch a brilliant job. :clap:

Lesley, in our borough they used to ask for shoe box donations for the soldiers and you just filled it with sweets, books, shaving stuff or toiletries for girls and they asked for a letter to be put in. We did it one year and got a lovely letter back from a soldier saying how much it had meant to him that someone had been thinking of them.

They don't do it anymore. I think it was to do with clogging up the postal service for the service personnel's families. Not sure if that was just in our area or generally. :(

I think it would be lovely to show our chaps and ladies that we are thinking of them all.

Is there some central address where others could send parcels? - can parcels be sent without a specific name on them?

That would be a lovely idea - I would certainly like to show my support & appreciation by sending some goodies :D

Ditto. I'd love to do this too. 2 of my brothers have served in the forces.

Haven't got anyone out there but my Dad sends about 1500 parcels every Christmas - theovernment has said not to this year because it's "clogging up the mail" but the generally held belief is that this is a finance led statement. There are guys and girls out there with no family so they wouldn't get anything otherwise.

My Dad asked a couple of years ago and baby wipes, toiletries - ie toothpaste toothbrushes, soap, tea bags to get a "good english cuppa" this year he's also putting note pads, pens, razors, books, magazines - you can't move in his house for boxes and supplies and you can't move in my kitchen for books!! He keeps enough boxes back to take to the Headley Court residents - we're going there mid-December before those that are fit enough can go home.

Hopefully theres a few ideas there :D

BeckyBoo

I have also made a donation to the parcels appeal. I have friends and family who are ex-forces, my best friend's son, who I saw minutes after he was born, is in an army officer. My father and two uncles were also officers and auntie was in the ATS. My grandfather was in the trenches in WWI. I think it is so important to help support the troops when they are away from home.

Dried fruit and nuts mix, nice hot chocolate powder, ginger cake travels well. This time last year I sent clementines and they arrived in one piece which was an achievement. It was taking between 7 - 10 days for parcels to arrive then. Last year my sis was there and was away from her base on Christmas day - the only gift she got was a well received parcel to an anonymous soldier!! Just to warn you that my jobsworth post office would not serve me on the last day of posting as the postmistress was having a row with the delivery men! I went home in tears of frustration! Make sure you don't leave it until the last minute.