kannie

SAD lights

Anyone know much about these? I feel so low at the moment and could really do with a bit of a perk-up. It's always the same in the winter. I have used St Johns Wort before, but didn't think about it in the autumn and I think it takes a while to have any effect. Is SAD light treatment any quicker? And what should I look for when buying a lamp?

Hubby has used a couple of different types over the years as he thinks he suffers from SAD (not that he's a hypocondriac of course :roll: ). He used to have one of those light boxes but how has a floor lamp for reading in the evening. It's much more practical as you use it just like any other light - I'll see if I can find where it came from. I now they do a desk light as well. Whether it works or not I don't really now - but if he thinks it does, then if does, if you know what I mean!!

Edited to add: Found it!! http://www.naturalcollection.com/natural-products/Natural-Light-Desk--Floor-Lamps.asp?image=2

Poor you, how rotten.

Try to get outside as much as is practicable at this time of year. It doesn't have to be fantastically sunny...a decent bit of "skyshine" helps. If you go for a walk, hold your face upwards. Its all to do with the pineal gland and this is supposed to help it do its job.

All the best.

Just seen this and yes I use one with clients and when I work on the computer and do ironing etc :wink: I had not bothered pre Christmas and my goodness didn't I know come jan 2nd! Seasonal affective disorder is hideous and affects many to varying degrees.

I'll pop a link here for you Kannie

http://www.sada.org.uk/

I also use a lumie body clock, got alot of info under 'SAD' in my blog.

It does work and clients find it helps with concentration during a session.

Good luck and ask if you need more help

BBx

I bought the Lumie Bodyclock alarm clock last time Buffie mentioned them. I am really pleased with it.

I don't suffer from SAD at all but I hate waking in the dark. Moving to the farm and having to get up regularly now whilst it is still dark, did not appeal. The Lumie clock is worth every penny.

I have a lightbox, its quite small and i use it everyday on my desk at work. (Otherwise I forget). I think it helps and whether its psychological (sp) or not I wouldn't know. Frankly if I feel better then who cares!

Apparently taking Vitamin D helps too - sunshine helps the body produce it, so obviously lacking in the winter. I keep forgetting to buy some.

Is forgetfulness a symptom??? :roll:

:? Got what?

:roll::wink:

PS. I know it's been discussed before, but does anyone have any other links for desklamps etc.

I'm fine in the morning but just want to hibernate by 3pm in winter. I'd love to get my Mother the desk lamp (as well as something for me). But £65 is a lot to spend on someone who didn't want even a fiver spent on a bedside light.

She's the same as me about seasons so it would be good. She hardly has lights on because they aggravate her eyes following a dodgy eye op. So her house is always gloomy, on top of the lack of daylight :roll:

She likes to read the paper to relax but stops when the light fades. About 2pm just now, so spends the whole afternoon waiting to get to bedtime.

What does anyone else recommend?

Edited by Guest

:? Got what?

:roll::wink:

PS. I know it's been discussed before, but does anyone have any other links for desklamps etc.

I'm fine in the morning but just want to hibernate by 3pm in winter. I'd love to get my Mother the desk lamp (as well as something for me). But £65 is a lot to spend on someone who didn't want even a fiver spent on a bedside light.

She's the same as me about seasons so it would be good. She hardly has lights on because they aggravate her eyes following a dodgy eye op. So her house is always gloomy, on top of the lack of daylight :roll:

She likes to read the paper to relax but stops when the light fades. About 2pm just now, so spends the whole afternoon waiting to get to bedtime.

What does anyone else recommend?

Sheila, you can buy 'daylight' bulbs. I've never tried them but I have seen them advertised. I think you can buy them in sewing or craft shops. It may be a cheaper option to try first.

Thanks everyone! When I clicked on here earlier in the day and saw all your lovely responses it brought tears to my eyes (literally!) :oops:

That was when I decided I just needed to do something and do it quickly. So rather than waiting for deliveries or freecycle or info packs I just went down to John Bell & Croyden (a really good central London pharmacy) and bought a SAD lamp. I've already had 2 sessions :oops: - so I'm probably building up a nice little tan or radiation glow or something - but what the hell!

The lumie clock looks good, but seeing as I usually wake up every morning before the alarm goes with a headache anyway at the moment, I don't think its what I need!

Couldn't find the SAD bit on your blog, Buffie... :?

I have a daylight bulb too - I use it in my desklamp when I'm doing colour-critical things. It doesnt give a high level of light though - its just like an ordinary light bulb with more natural colouring.

You might want to take advice before getting your mum anything stronger though Sheila. My little booklet says that the SAD lamp is good for seniors who fall asleep early and so sleep fitfully or wake up early, but it also says you shouldn't use it without speaking to your opthalmologist if you've had a history of eye disease.