Cats and Chickens

Chickens with Bald bottoms

Hope someeone can advise me I am fairly new to chicken keeping. Two of my three girls have developed bald bottoms pretty quickly over the last few days. I haven't seen any pecking going on but am assuming that is the problem and am going out to get some anti-pecking spray and gentian violet.

I am worried this is as a result of boredom. Should I be giving them more interest in their run?

How long will it take for them to grow feathers again and will they get cold in the meantime?

There aren't lots of feathers anywhere especially on the girls bottoms. I wondered if they had eaten the plucked feathers. I bought anti pecking spray yesterday but haven't applied it yet as it says use disposable gloves and I am a bit worried about how to hold a chicken ,spray its bum and only need to dispose of my gloves as opposed to all my clothing.

My two younger chooks hadn't any tail feathers yet, but when they got pecked, you could see the damage the others had done. It wasn't like a plucked chicken: it was more red raw.

I managed to get the gentian violet on the chickens ok, but some sprayed onto my jeans. It looks quite pretty really, but I'm glad I wasn't wearing white linen :lol: Oh, and I have a big box of disposable gloves which I bought for a few quid anyway. I like them for cleaning out etc.

Mine are cordoned off from the peckers more securely now, so are recuperating nicely.

Hope someeone can advise me I am fairly new to chicken keeping. Two of my three girls have developed bald bottoms pretty quickly over the last few days. I haven't seen any pecking going on but am assuming that is the problem and am going out to get some anti-pecking spray and gentian violet.

I am worried this is as a result of boredom. Should I be giving them more interest in their run?

How long will it take for them to grow feathers again and will they get cold in the meantime?

Good layers tend to have bald bums, assuming it is the bum - vent area and not above the tail...?

So are they laying well? If so then it's fairly normal. Feather plucking tends to happen on the backs, so above the top of tail area and middle of the back. The feathers will re-grow after they have moulted, which bearing in mind the time of year now, the fact they may be young birds and therefore new and good layers, then that may not happen till next autumn.

Chickens don't feel the cold like we do, plus they've got a good built in duvet (with missing bits sometimes :lol: ) and they tend to hunch down at night, which if it is the bum will be covered by their tails.

If it is what I have suggested then you needn't spray as it won't do any good, and the colour wont suit you anyway..... :lol:

Macfoy

Thanks for this advice it is below the vent area. There are feathers around the vent but each has an area about 5cm wide and 10 cm long below the vent area.

Only one has started laying. the other is laying well We sprayed with anti-pecking spray today.

They have free ranged all weekend and we haven't seem any plucking feathers. Unfortunately I have to go to work during the week but think i will try letting them free range early am before I go to relieve any boredom a bit.

It has happened really suddenly over two days.

They all seem really well and content.

I think that's within the normal range then............Although you think it's only happened recently, the feathers have probably been dropping out and you've noticed because the last ones to go have finally exposed bare flesh. You can pluck out a lot of feathers before you can see what's underneath.

The exposed area will go red again making you worry thinking it's being pecked or sore, but again normal, exposed flesh does go red. Not every good layer looses bum feathers, just saying this before some kind souls come on and say "My birds are good layers but have all their feathers"..............It's within the range of normal.

Macfoy

i got 2 new chickens on sat :lol: and the breeder told me that if you have bark/wood chippings in the garden to becareful, as if they have been treated and the hens go on them it can cause the feathers on their bums to fall out? :oops: wonder if this is what happened to yours?

is the red like a nappy rash, a bright red ? One of my girls, who has been to the vet today, has this & the vet was quite concerned. He gave her an injection of anti inflammatory & told me to check the other 2, who are fine. I've just treated them for lice though - do you think yours may have lice ?

About the red, the vet suggested an aloe vera cream - NOTHING with tea tree though cos that can cause problems.

is the red like a nappy rash, a bright red ? One of my girls, who has been to the vet today, has this & the vet was quite concerned. He gave her an injection of anti inflammatory & told me to check the other 2, who are fine. I've just treated them for lice though - do you think yours may have lice ?

About the red, the vet suggested an aloe vera cream - NOTHING with tea tree though cos that can cause problems.

You need to ensure they are not getting amonia burns on the skin. If they are sitting on wet ground with poo then the amonia in the poo can irritate the bare skin. If you see 'hock burns' (even on free range chickens) in a supermarket - a different coloured patch on the legs - these are from amonia burns in deep litter systems when the amount of poo becomes too much.

Tracy

I bet there's some feather plucking going on.... :roll:

I've got one of these, she nestles next to her best mate all night and happily pulls out her mate's fluffy knickers all night long...... and eats them! :vom:

We've bought the bumper bits - had a go at fitting them, failed miserably, so are going to have another go. By the way - my plucked hen's bum is NEON red! :shock: (as it my Naked Neck's exposed bits) so it's prettty normal. If the redness looks irritated a few of us have tried sudocrem (nappy cream) to soothe the irritation.

I bet there's some feather plucking going on.... :roll:

I'd say so too, the skin need'nt be red raw if they are just plucking feathers

I personally dont believe that a bald patch that size is within the 'normal range' none of my prolific layers have ever had bald bums and none of my 41 have 'natural' bald bums but the hens that live with my die hard feather pecker do...

HI

I am new to chickens this past year and all of mine have got bald botts. I just check them for mites but have just wormed them. They are all laying fine and I am still waiting for them to moult but nothing as yet?

My bald bottom girls all seem happy and their legs etc they look fine. I am still getting 5 eggs per day (5 hens)

indie :)

tea tree is fine as long it is not neat oil as this can cause irritations in some. Aloe Vera I have just posted on another thread needs care esp on any red sore raw areas.

Why on earth do people say chickens don't feel the cold? :?

It depends on the chickens, feathers etc etc,

Mine don't DO wet! they DONT do cold for long either, and their are loads of threads about chooks NOT coming out of coops on cold mornings, sitting hunched and miserable and ending up happy in the house in the warm.

Some will be happy as all day long in all weathers, I only have 2 that aren't as bothered.

(however mine are all ex bats and perhaps this makes a difference)

I do believe though that ALL girls dash for the sunspot to sunbathe................ :? they like the warm maybe?????