goodmanco

Two or three chickens? Can just two get along OK?

Visited a Poultry Centre to get my first chickens, and was told that it was best to get three, as two will not be happy together, and previous customers have come back with complaints about them not getting along (implication actually that Omlet should not be selling option of two chickens).

I'd really prefer to have just two and avoid buying a run extension at this stage (there are only three of us in the house so we don't need a lot of eggs).

Are there known problems with just two hens? Or am I best to get the extension and go for three?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

When I got my cube, I ordered it with 2 girls. Personally I think 2 are fine but I went to my local open farm and bought another 2 for more company and more importantly, warmth at nights. There are 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) in my house and we probably won't be able to eat all the eggs they will start to give us when the weather gets better. You could always sell them, there are other threads on selling eggs if you want to read or give them to friends? My 4 girls all sleep in a cube with the standard run and are let out to free range when ever I'm at home and able to supervise and they all seem happy enough.

Beware though, chicken keeping is addictive. I would go for 4 straight away to avaoid any unpleasant introductions at a later date.

Two can get along just fine-there are lots of people who only have two hens.

However, I would suggest getting three simply because hens do not like to live alone and when you have only two-if one were to die you would have to get the remaining hen a friend pretty fast.

When you have three-if you were to loose one, there is no big rush to get a replacement as the two remaining hens would still have eachother.

Hope that makes sense??

At the end of the day though-if you only want two, that is fine and lots of people on here have two hens.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :D

personally I'd stick with even numbers I'd got 2 then I add 3 it make the intros difficult as there was and still is always one girls on her own

previous customers have come back with complaints about them not getting along (implication actually that Omlet should not be selling option of two chickens).

that makes me think that they had birds from differant pens that didn't know each other

there place I got my first girls from had 2 pens but wouldn't mix girls from the 2 pens for that reason

Two should be happy enough. There are no guarantees that they will get on though. If you have hens with very different temperaments they may squabble, and when they are first put together the pecking order will have to be sorted out. This can be either a few half hearted peck or full scale war.

Not sure why any breeder or supplier should be criticised for offering the option of 2 hens. It is very common to have just the 2 (I would recommend 3 personally). In the end, it is up to the purchaser.

I had two from Omlet. They were besotted with each other and never ever had a 'cross word.' But I didn't realise until getting other chickens that this isn't always the case. Two chickens I bought later on, really had a War of the Roses. But my Omlet girls were so happy together - they ate in exactly the same spot and even gave each other food. It did make other introductions hard though, with a bond like that. The bond lasted and was only broken when my pepperpot passed away last year.

Two are fine...they bimble alone, are easy to keep and as you point out, with have lots of space even without the extension. Having two is great for beginners....

I had two from Omlet. They were besotted with each other and never ever had a 'cross word.'....

My first two chickens were like that, contented and quiet - lovely. :D

In hindsight, I wish I'd still had just 2 or 3 chickens - my 6 are terribly noisy now :( and I have fond memories of just having the two. :D

I thought originally I was just getting 2 and then see how I got on with a view to getting 2 more later on. I decided to go for 4 straight away to avoid any introduction problems (That's my eggcuse & I'm sticking to it!). All the advise I got/was given was that they should be kept with company i.e minimum of 2. The only warning I would give you...and it has been stated above....THEY'RE WONDERFULLY ADDICTIVE :lol::lol:

Enjoy xx

Well, it seems ppl find that two can be just fine, although in this weather, I take the point about keeping warm... and also the need to replace quickly if one dies, (but that shouldn't be too difficult - have a car so can travel?).

I just need to decide whether to keep the third hen and get the extension or return her and stick to my original feelings about just having the two and a standard Eglu...

Actually another reason for just having the two was that I could take them and a standard Eglu elsewhere (hoping to soften the family into helping out given time LOL) easily to be looked after if I go away... thinking about it that's an important point...

Andrew

With regards to going away you could always ask a neighbour to pop in and open/close the Eglu, check food/water in return for payment in what ever eggs they have left when your away. (Saves any upset when moving girls).

Good luck with what you decide. Your only dissapointment will be that you didn't get them sooner :lol:

I started with two Omlet girls, Laverne and Shirley (who were quite happy), but decided I wanted to get into the having "rollling stock" so that I'd always have a supply of eggs and my girls were getting on a bit. I got two new girls, Ramona and Beatrice, in October and the introduction was fine (just put them straight in together without any probs). I was obviously right to do so because Laverne died at the end of November and poor Shirley would have been left all alone. The three girls get on brilliantly and its as if they have always been together - 3 seems a good number as when one dies (sorry to sound mercenary!) I can get two new ones so I'll always be introducing an equal number so its fair to both old and new girls and should minimise problems.

3 seems a good number as when one dies (sorry to sound mercenary!) I can get two new ones so I'll always be introducing an equal number so its fair to both old and new girls and should minimise problems.

Ah..chicken maths! Lose one add two....sounds like a recipe for more chickens. However this is exactly how I intend to approach it as well. Get a couple more chooks later this year when mine are about 18 months or so to keep the egg laying going, and then replace as they die off.

"Ah..chicken maths! "

i have e4 because i was convinced that with 3 if we lose 1 that would leave us with 2 and if we lose one of those we would have to rush to get more!

I have now built a WIR ladders different levels hanging things, dust baths, just because the girls keep giving us eggs and need rewarding! :wall:

thank god i am not alone in my madness though!

I had 4 chickens, a speckled Sussex, 2 Wyandotte's and a salmon favarolle. The Sussex and one of the wyandottes were so noisy that the neighbours complained and I had to rehome them to a farm. My fava and white Wyandotte get on so well together and seem very happy.  I think you have to do what works for you - however only having one chicken leads to a very lonely life for that bird.