loubielou

Can you recommend having a dog and which breed?

I am getting very keen on the idea of having a dog. We lead a pretty lively outdoorsy lifestyle and I think a dog would fit in. We do have chickens, so not sure whether this would be a problem? :think:

My youngest son has asthma, so we would need a dog that wouldn't be too hairy or shed too much. Also one that isn't too big and could be trained easily as we are doggy virgins. :oops:

Anyone want to put me off, or urge me to go for it, and what breed would you choose?

Any help appreciated! :clap:

Lou :D

(1 very old cat, 1 light sussex (white chicken) , 1 RIR PP , 1 Faverolles GNR & 1 Welsummer GNR )

In terms of breed, you need to think about your lifestyle. Have a think about these questions...

is someone home regularly during the day? No dog can be left alone all day, but most can be left for up to 4 hours. Some breeds tolerate this better than others though.

What size are you looking for?

Do you want to do activities? Eg agility, flyball etc.

Do you want a dog that will be a natural guard-dog?

How much time do you want to spend grooming the dog?

How much exercise do you want to give it? Some dogs need a couple of hours a day, some are happy with two 20-min trips round the block.

Do you want a puppy or an adult?

Would you consider a rescue?

As you have a cat and chickens, I'd avoid anything that would be tempted to chase them/try to eat them - terriers in particular.

Wow, thats a lot to think about, how do you ever choose? Is there somewhere that helps people choose, a website where you can put in all these variables or a charity/group that could advise?

We wouldn't get a dog until Max the cat is gone. I don't think it'd be fair on the poor old fella.

Thanks for your reply.

Lou

I agree with victoriabunny, first identify what you want from the dog. I would also suggest a non shedder if your son is prone to allergies.

Then have a look at some of the breed specific websites. Ooh, just realised, IAMS do a 'what type of dog is for you' questionnaire, hang on:

http://www.iams.co.uk/dog-breeds/

Here it is! Lots of great breed suggestions in this, but some are harder to find than others. :D

Poodles are non-shedders. You don't have to have the silly haircut - if you get an all-over trim (including ears, and leaving some on the nose so they don't have bald faces) they just look like labradors with curly hair. The standards are fantastic - clever dogs with great personalities. They need a lot of exercise though, and they're very intelligent so ideally need a hobby (eg advanced obedience training - there are beginners' classes in this). For smaller dogs, bichon frises don't moult, and they don't need a lot of exercise either. Very happy little dogs too. Shih Tzus don't moult either, but having seen my aunt's have terrible problems with his eyes as they have such squashed-up faces, I wouldn't get one.

Bear in mind though a non-shedding dog reduces the chances of an allergy, but doesn't eliminate it altogether - often people are allergic to the dander on the dog's skin, which will be there regardless of whether the dog moults or not. If you decide on a breed you like it would be worth contacting a breeder and asking if you can take your son to their house to spend time with the dogs and see if he's affected, before committing to a puppy.

My youngest son has asthma, so we would need a dog that wouldn't be too hairy or shed too much. Also one that isn't too big and could be trained easily as we are doggy virgins.

Lou :D

(1 very old cat, 1 light sussex (white chicken) , 1 RIR PP , 1 Faverolles GNR & 1 Welsummer GNR )

If you want a dog that is 'easier' to train, I would suggest getting a female and to perhaps avoid dogs from the 'working group'. Poodle types tend not to shed much but beware of Labradoodles who can be a bit potty and don't always inherit the poodle part of the coat. There is some advise here re dogs and asthma http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2100

Thanks for your replies. The IAMS site set me up with a Pug, which personally (no offense to anyone with one) I can't stand. :vom:

I really like Springer Spaniels. Are they really energetic and a lot of work grooming wise? And, would they kill the chickens if they had half a chance?

Lou

Thanks for your replies. The IAMS site set me up with a Pug, which personally (no offense to anyone with one) I can't stand. :vom:

I really like Springer Spaniels. Are they really energetic and a lot of work grooming wise? And, would they kill the chickens if they had half a chance?

Lou

Springers can be very wilful! Not as easy to train as say a lab or retriever. However I got both my girls as mature rescue dogs, they are both 6 years old, and they are reasonably well trained :oops: I do find you cannot rely on them remembering something once taught - if they can get away with not doing it again, they will! I keep having to reinforce their recall and I've never heard of a springer yet who will walk to heel :roll: Having said that, they are massive personalities, nutty as fruit cakes and adorable with it. Both mine would love a chicken dinner, but that is not typical and some can be trained to ignore them. They do like good walks, but mental stimulation is just as important. Bored = destructive. There is also a difference between show strain springers and working springers. Workers need a lot more input, whereas the show strains have had a lot of the working instinct bred out of them. Their coats can vary as well. Mine get a quick brush once a week if lucky, but they are incredible mud magnets so a rinse after every walk is a must. :D:oops: Bit of an essay there! Have a look on the It's a Spring Thing forum - you'll get a good idea about how people get on with them :lol:

Edited to add: agree the IAMS site was a bit naff - it gave me bichon frise or a samoyed when I said I didn't have time for much grooming! :shock::lol:

Snowy, thanks for that info. This dog owning sounds quite scary and can see myself being put off together. For all the worry and effort, it surprises me how many people actually have dogs!

I guess there's no such thing as the perfect dog and we have to think of the aspects of the dog that are most important to us.

I will check out that site, and thanks again!

Lou

PS When you say a clean after every walk, does that mean a bath or a hose down outside?

If you are going to go for a Labradoodle (we have one!) then go for a curly coat one.

They come in 3 different coat varieties and can vary in each litter.

Tight curls (like a poodle) - non shedding

Chocolate%20Labradoodle%20Wool%20coat.jpg

Wavy, very loose curls - non shedding

Chocolate-Lavender%20Fleece%20Coat.jpg

Scruffy - shedding

Chocolate%20Hair%20Coat.jpg

Labradoodles are fantastic, they have a lovely temperament and are superb with kids, other dogs, other animals etc. The only thing we have heard they are prone to is chewing!

Good luck

Tom

I always say that if you don't have a breed that you really love and have always wanted then go for a 'mutt' . There is no need to go for a pedigree. You may be able to find a mongrel in a rescue that is already trained. Dogs end up in rescue centres for all sorts of different reasons - owners dying, moving abroad, etc. I wouldn't advise a spaniel personally if you are unsure about your abilities to train but if you are determined to have one you should go to training classes (a good idea what ever you have :roll: )

My dog Cookie is a goldendoodle - golden retriever crossed with poodle. She doesn't shed hair but has a very thick coat as she is a F1b. This means her dad was a first cross and then her mum was a poodle.

My friend who has asthma has a bichon but she also seems ok with Cookie.

This is Cookie as a very cute puppy

May200723.jpg

and as a rather fluffy dog in need of a hair cut!

animals012.jpg

She loves a good run but will manage with just a walk and she loves the water.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would definitely recommend that your son spends a lot of time with hopefully the puppy and or dog before you decide to buy to test his asthma.

Oh wow, Cookie is the most adorable thing I have seen!!

So much great advice. Thanks to you all. The rescue dog thing does really make sense, especially as they will already have been trained and house trained. I am keen to learn and train, but as a starting block this makes good sense.

Lou x

Hi, I'm owned by an unclipped Bedlington Terrier Male

He's a very lively small/medium sized dog that loves his walks,He loves him Shimkins (Chickens) and he's great with other animals & children.Oh and he LOVES his cuddles

Best of all he doesn't shed.

Some Pictures of him (He's the grey one)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2004353&id=1152268122&l=51ef9f0efc

EDIT: i also have Asthma and he's the only dog that i can have next to me for longer that 20 mins

Mine just get a hose down outside (unless it's very cold, then I sneak them upstairs and give them a warm shower :oops: ) Then I put their doggy drying coats on and towel the worst of the wet off their feet. Then they spend the rest of the day snoring :D It isn't really a lot of work, and the love they give you in return is wonderful. Ruby is currently snuggled up on the settee beside me, 4 paws in the air. Candy is snoring along with her Dad on the armchair. They are so lovely and cuddly! Might be worth looking through some of the dogs at Many tears rescue - even if you don't go for one, there are a huge range of dogs there with a write up about them, and you may see one you hadn't previously considered. Click on the 'dogs looking for homes' link. There are some beautiful dogs on here that would be ideal as a first time dog:

http://www.manytears.co.uk/

Another vote for the labrodoodle - mine is the best dog I have ever had - he has a fabulous temperament and is loved by everyone who meets him. We go for walks on the Downs with him and all of the regulars know his name (they don't know ours!) He has the shaggy shedding coat but if you get a curly one it won't shed.

He is gentle, intelligent, funny and very loyal

Do you have kids and if so how old are they? Personally I have not had a rescue dog but I have had very close experience of one. My worry would be that you don't know the whole history of that dog and while you should never leave a dog and small children alone sometimes things can go wrong as we all know. My MIL had a rescue and she had been fine until I had my son and she got extremely jealous of him and also another child that came to the house on a regular basis, she was very aggressive to both kids and after a lot of heartbreak she had to be rehomed again. We made sure the homing centre was fully aware of her problems but alas I'm sure some people don't which only leads to more problems.

That would be my reason for a puppy, the fact that you can train the dog and you both develop together, dog training is for the owner I think it trains you to be able to train the dog.

Have you considered a Miniature Schnauzer, lively, robust dogs, brilliant with kids, very trainable, a little stubborn sometimes and they love doing agility, tricks etc. and they don't moult. They would love an outdoor lifestyle and would keep going as long as you do. You can obtain a list of reputable breeders from The Schnauzer Club uk.

My husband has allergies and we borrowed our friends Mini Schnauzer for a day before commiting to a puppy of our own

Remember dogs that don't moult do need to have hair cuts, I have a Giant Schnauzer and to have his coat stripped or clipped costs about £45 every 6-8 weeks. I now do his coat myself but if you cannot you need to consider this in your costs.

What happens to a Labradoodle's coat, I take it that they need haircuts too.

My Goldendoodle has to have a haircut every 6 or so weeks too. I'm seriously thinking of trying to do it myself. I used to trim her up when she was a puppy, but she is a big dog now so not sure if it would work.

The last time she went, the groomer charged £70! :shock: She was annoyed with us because we asked for her to be kept a bit longer, she had started to clipper her really short which we didn't like.

Sorry, went bit off the thread.

re labradoodles's coats - mine has to be clipped otherwise he would end up looking like a yeti. We tend to let it grow longer in the winter so he isn't cut for around 4 months of the year but he is trimmed then every 6 weeks or so - his coat is very thick and he gets too hot otherwise

My boss also has a labradoodle but his coat is more labrador like (the dog not the boss!)and doesn't need cutting. I would imagine the ones with tight curls would need cutting like a poodle does but maybe they just stay short naturally?

Incidentally, our vet has said that the labradoodle is the only breed where he has never come across an aggressive one. I know there are smaller numbers of them but it's good to know.

We adopted Boots from Lurcher Link just before Christmas. Lurcher Link's available dogs are at http://www.lurcherlink.org/llink/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I have to admit I was railroaded into getting a dog by my husband (and to a lesser extent the children) and had my reservations. I still have reservations about dog ownership, although I love my dog hugely!

Boots is a greyhound/whippet/other bits cross and is 6 months old. Lurchers like off lead, free running exercise but in between walks will sleep. Boots is the calmest dog I've ever met, especially considering his age. He likes a cuddle but is not in your face, greets everyone warmly but then goes off and lies down, doesn't mind being left etc. He seems quite bright and is learning quickly.

My main reservations were the time and effort needed and I do resent that I have to plan my day round being home for the dog. Tomorrow we are taking my youngest out for a birthday treat and I have had to arrange for a friend to feed Boots and let him out at lunchtime. I also didn't want another emotional attachment, and reading Ruby's story has brought that home to me - I'm now wholely responsible for another creature. He is a darling boy though, and when he falls asleep with his head on my lap it is lovely!

I also wanted my children to grow up with a dog, my eldest has always been very wary of dogs but is enjoying Boots. Having a reason to have to go out walking will also hopefully improve our health and fitness.

Someone above said about not knowing a rescue dog's background but with a puppy they are unlikely to have been abused. Boots and his littermates were handed to the rescue because they weren't the right colour :evil: He was in a foster home until we were approved to adopt him, the fosterers are usually experienced dog owners who can assess the dog and make sure they are placed in the right home.

We originally wanted a whippet but thought since we didn't want a show dog a pedigree would be a bit of a waste of money, plus generally I believe cross breeds/mongrels to have fewer health issues. Adopting Boots cost us £80, plus the commitment to paying to have him neutered when he is mature. A Labradoodle puppy, I believe, may cost in the region of £1500 :shock:

I hope this has added to your food for thought. Having a dog is lovely, but is a big responsibility. As I anticipated, I'm the one doing all the early morning wake up calls and walks during the week! Still, it's better than getting a job which was the alternative :D

Jo

PS. forgot to add, he has a very short smooth coat which doesn't shed much (although some lurchers are shaggy). I also forgot to say that he has been absolutely fine with my hens and has shown no interest in getting at them. In fact, a few days ago one of them escaped and landed on the lawn about 10 feet in front of him and Boots completely ignored it! I went out to catch the hen and the daft dog went on a mad run round the garden in the opposite direction!

eyes2.jpgday3b.jpgday4b.jpg

Edited by Guest