fluffyknickers

lemony snicket

Sorry if the spelling is wrong.

I heard an interview with the author on radio 4 and speaking about the Lemony Snicket books and I wondered what you all think of them.

My son is 5 and a half (the half to him is important!) and I wondered if he is too young or would enjoy them to be read to him.

Dont know how scary they are!

Thanks

Michelle

I saw Lemony Snicket (or his alter ego) on BBC breakfast earlier in the week. He is bonkers and didn't have a straight answer for any of their questions.

But in answer to your question, I think 5 1/2 is a bit too young for the books. They are quite dark and sinister. I would wait until he is 8 or so.

I haven't read these though my family have and they are all adults. I think the main premise is the children survive against the odds. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong, whenever they find safety it gets taken away, usually by someone's violent death. This is great if you're older and therefore have the capacity to laugh at others misfortune but I don't think your little boy will. I think when he's about 10 he will love them!

I used to read the Puddle lane books -which you can still get on Amazon- to them. Lovely stories.

yes I agree, he's a tad young to really understand all of the parts in them at the moment but that aside I actually dont like his way of writing. It annoys me :lol:

I have all the books except number 4 which mysteriously walked out my OS room.. :roll: was here, now its not. I am about to donate these books to the school with my YS's Horrible Henry. Now I would say at 5 and a very important half he would LOVE horrible Henry. :lol:

sorry thats it Horrrid Henry rather than Horrible, see you can tell my son is too old for them now and they are just gathering dust on the shelf. :lol: Promised them to the school for their library though so they will be put to good use... when I can get them there. :roll:

Sorry for late reply...

Taking your advise ditched the idea for now and gone for Roald Dahls books instead as always my favourite when I was little.

So far nearly finished Georges Marvelous Medicine and he laughs out loud at it and really enjoying. My grandma voice is getting very good!

Next we have the BFG and the Twits and Fantastic Mr Fox.

All a bargain as most from Amazon and one on BOGOF from Waterstones.

Thanks

Michelle

Sorry for late reply...

Taking your advise ditched the idea for now and gone for Roald Dahls books instead as always my favourite when I was little.

So far nearly finished Georges Marvelous Medicine and he laughs out loud at it and really enjoying. My grandma voice is getting very good!

Next we have the BFG and the Twits and Fantastic Mr Fox.

All a bargain as most from Amazon and one on BOGOF from Waterstones.

Thanks

Michelle

Brilliant idea, Roald Dahl still has a certain darkness without being too scary. When my sister was little she had George's Marvellous Medicine on audio tape, the voices were brilliant and i still imitate them now :lol: Actually, we got a collection of Roald Dahl audio books on CD from The Book People, though it was a couple of years ago. They were really good value, might be worth looking out for.

I've been trying to think what my two liked at aged 5 and a half.... I'm pretty sure we did the Minchpins (Roald Dahl) and George's marvellous medicine but some of the books were just too scary for them. When DS starting to read for himself at aged 5 and a half the Bel Mooney

books were popular, ...I don't want to.. etc.. Thing is of course, even at 5 and a very important half, tastes are personal and so what your child likes, another one hates...

For us I think Mr Majeka rated quite highly but the best was Pongwiffy (the witch of dirty habits by Kaye Umansky) (these books are an absolute gift if you like reading with different voices.. and they contain a lot of humour. and there are loads of them so if they want to come back for more you don't have to disappoint!!)

I'm feeling a pang of envy - those bedtimes stories were such a special time with my kids..whatever you chose to read..enjoy it