poachedegg

I miss having a dog :(FINAL UPDATE - SHE'S HERE! *PHOTO*)

As some of you are probably aware, our lovely Ruby had to be put to sleep 3 weeks ago. We all miss her and still expect her to be there when we come down in the morning or forget we don't need to put her out at night.

Without sounding heartless, I think in ordinary circumstances, we would have already thought about getting another one, however as we are now fostering we have to take into account a baby in the house - with Ruby we were confident (as you can be with dogs), that having a baby in the house wouldn't be an issue as we obviously knew her and her personality.

We would have a considered a retired greyhound and the branch we have spoken to have said they would rehome with a baby (with commonsense and consideration) but though our heart is missing having a dog, I know I have to listen to my head.....it isn't easy.

Edited by Guest

It is a difficult decision poached :? I am not sure what I would do. Is there a finite time to the fostering or is it a foster till some adoptive parents turn up in which case she could be with you for a while?? If you knew how long then I woiuld be tempted to wait and prepare for when you could take on a dog without a baby around. If it is indefinite I would need to be very sure about any dog I brought into the house, - personally I would get a pup but that doesnt help the rescue homes. Three weeks is early stages yet. I still think Taz our big Maine coon boy is around sometimes and he died over 18 months ago. Maybe give it a bit longer to see if you do adjust t being without a dog?

Thanks BelleKatz - baby's future is unknown yet, so no idea as to how long she is with us for. I know it isn't realistic to get another dog at the moment as our next placement could be as young as the present one!

I know it's early days yet and we probably will get used to not having a dog.........but I suppose I'm just finding it hard to accept at the moment.

I know exactly how you feel. :cry:

Our house is so empty, it's only us and our whole life revolved around Bracken. We feel a bit "lost".......

I keep thinking "oh, lets go and get another one" and then as soon as I say it out loud my heart sinks and I feel sick. :anxious:

I still have everything here - giant 15kg bag of dog food that was delivered the day before Bracken was PTS :( , bowls, baskets (Bracken had 3!).

When they've been such a big part of your life like Ruby was, it seems so very odd without them doesn't it? We bit the bullet today and contacted the Devon GSD rescue just to give them our details - I hope they dont come back to us for a while :lol:

Sending you a big ((((hug)))) in the meantime. xx

We did the opposite - we hadn't been dogless for over 18 years as there was always an overlap until we had Dennis. When he died I had planned not to get another :roll: It was OH who meithered to go and look for a rescue dog after only 2 weeks. But I'm sooo glad we did. Certainly glad I hadn't managed to get used to clean floors and carpets, no doggy smell or damp doggy towels, or poo picking every day :lol: It also gave myself and the boys something to think about, rather than dwelling too much on missing Dennis (we still do, but it's easier with other dogs around dishing out their doggy loves and snuggles :oops: )

I know exactly how you feel. :cry:

Our house is so empty, it's only us and our whole life revolved around Bracken. We feel a bit "lost".......

I keep thinking "oh, lets go and get another one" and then as soon as I say it out loud my heart sinks and I feel sick. :anxious:

I still have everything here - giant 15kg bag of dog food that was delivered the day before Bracken was PTS :( , bowls, baskets (Bracken had 3!).

When they've been such a big part of your life like Ruby was, it seems so very odd without them doesn't it? We bit the bullet today and contacted the Devon GSD rescue just to give them our details - I hope they dont come back to us for a while :lol:

Sending you a big ((((hug)))) in the meantime. xx

Good for you contacting GSD rescue - I bet if they do contact you you'll know if it feels right.....bouncing those hugs back to you too!

How you doing Poached? :)

Am on a downer today :( but it seems to be getting a little better. Although every night since I have dreamt about Bracken - not sure if this a sign of something :anxious:

Have you thought anymore about another pooch?

Thank you for asking - Not too bad, though as the only time Ruby barked was when the door bell went, it seems like a deathly silence when it goes now.

I was so so tempted last week when I made the post, however we've sort of had the decision taken out of our hands for now as today we have had another new baby placed with us for 3 weeks, so at the moment we have an 11 week old and an 8 day old to care for :shock::D, which does take our mind off things.

We are also away for Easter weekend, so wouldn't want to introduce one until after then.

I know though that if we hadn't been fostering, we would have probably been looking to get another one very soon - a testament to how Ruby had such an effect on our house.

I did have to change radio stations in the car the other day when 'Ruby Ruby, Ruby' came on :roll:

Really sorry that you are feeling down today, however its probably to be expected and is nothing wrong with it when you have lived with and loved Bracken for such a long time. Have you had any response from the German Shepherd Rescue and how would you feel if you did?

I did have to change radio stations in the car the other day when 'Ruby Ruby, Ruby' came on :roll:

:cry::cry:

Just after Easter would be a good time for you to review things, :) We have not heard back from one of the rescue places we applied to. Strangely enough when we were not looking they had loads of dogs and now we are "looking" there is a shortage! :roll:

Just filled in a very extensive application form earlier for another rescue, I know they have to be thorough but we almost had to put everything down bar our shoe size! :roll:

I cans econd the Cavalier King Charles bit - Jack is such a friendly happy dog - the people who walk him for us call him "Happy jack" and he is always cheerful is not the brightest spark :roll: He love all the cats ( even if they dont love him) and washes them and everyone else.

I dont envy you with two such small babies! :shock: I m amazed you can find time to come on here! :D Good luck with both the babies - you will know when the time is right to get a new dog :)

I dont envy you with two such small babies! :shock: I m amazed you can find time to come on here! :D

This morning I have fed and changed 2 babies (now sleeping :D ), made breakfast for DD (now on computer), washed and sterilised copious amount of bottles and made some up with formula, have cleaned the kitchen (well wiped the tops down!!) and mopped the floor, breadmaker is on, washing machine is on and our Roomba (Bruce) is doing his rounds.......so 10 minutes here and there is my sanctuary! :D:lol:

Have you thought about applying for a 'failed' Guide dog?. You can be certain they are beautifully behaved and can discuss your need for a dog used to children when you apply. They can fail for all sorts of things - not wanting to wear a harness, fear of trains, buses lorries etc. None of which make them difficult pets!!

I also know exactly how you feel. It's like any bereavement - it just going to take time.

Congratulations on the fostering. I really hope that goes well. It's a fantastic thing to do, and sadly, there will always be babies and children that need good caring homes

Well we had a visit today from a lady wanting to rehome her 3yr old cavalier due to work commitments, she brought the dog with her and she is lovely. They stayed for quite a while and DD (8) took her on her lead in the garden and a nosey around the house......and tomorrow she is going to come and live with us. :D

The irony is that tomorrow is the date we got Ruby and as we didn't know her date of birth, used this as her birthday too.....must be fate. :D

Oh wow - Congratulations :dance::dance::dance: ! What colour is she and what is her name??

I love my Cavy (ooops DS's Cavy :wink: ) he is suuch a friendly, happy little chap everyone loves him and we can never get round the park without him being stoped for strokes. :roll:

I hope she settles in with you - is she used to children? They are good size for young children but big enough to be a proper dog as well! Need lots of photos tomorrow.........

xxx