jill the potter

...and yet another question about WIR's (sorry)

I have noticed in the photos on here of peoples' WIRs that some eglus are left on the ground and some are elevated by a table or shelf (I'm guessing that this then gives more floor space) but my question is how easy is it to remove the poo tray? Do you just move the eglu or do some of you have a hatch or small door so that you can do it from the outside? :think:

Also noticed that some of you have the eglu/cube on the outside of the WIR - so how easy was it to incorporate an opening into the run?

There are so many questions to ask before building and I suppose it's because you want to get it right first time. Having been 'sold' on the idea that the eglu and run are so easy to keep moving round the garden 'so that the grass can recover'!!!!!!!!!!!! I do think Omlet should stop using those lovely photos of pristine gardens with lovely green grass, (we now just have soil!!!) they are sooooooo misleading. Maybe we sould all send some 'true life' ones to them?!?!?! :lol::lol: I suppose I was just a bit green when it came to chickens and even if anyone would have told me the mess the chooks make, I wouldn't have listened :whistle:

I realise that there are numerous threads on here regarding this subject but any do's and don'ts would be very useful as I'm sure some of you that have made/bought WIR's occasionally think "Oh I wish I would have ....."

I don't think that there could be a list of dos and don'ts to be honest.

What works for one person might not work for another.

Some people like to have their cubes on the outside to make egg collecting easier but I wanted all mine to be contained within the run.

I know that most people have sold their whole run when they got a WIR. I have kept the skirt sections on the cubes to hang the grubs and glubs from. I have also kept a run and extention on one cube within the WIR for introductions.

I got a free range port on my WIR but have only used it twice. Usually I just leave the door open for them.

Some people keep their girls on a solid paved or concrete floor with aubiouse on top. Some have a paved or concrete surround that the run sits on with soil in the middle and aubiouse on top of that.

Maybe you could look at the aviaries4u website and try to think which features you would use and which you wouldn't.

Have fun planning your run and whatever you decide, pictures are a must.

:D

I loved my WIR so much when I had my eglus :D . I prefer my eglu to the cube as its so easy to move around. We had them on a table like this :D :

DSC00282-1.jpg

The only thing I would change about my WIR now is to have a concrete/solid base under the aubiose, as during wet spells the damp comes from up underneath.