Martin B

Best Budget Mini-Greenhouse

Without having the allotment this year, I'll be doing all of my growing from home. I'm just wondering which is the best budget mini-greenhouse. One of those plastic ones suitable for a couple of cucumber, tomato and pepper plants.

With going away on holiday several times and it being my last summer before going to University, funds are limeted. So the cheaper the better, any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Martin

I bought one of these last year (about £20). The plastic had ripped by the end of the summer and needed replacing but it did the job well. The structural bit seems to still be intact. I put a grobag on the bottom to hold it down but had to tie it to a garden bench with bungee cords to prevent it blowing over. (My garden is very windy though.)

I've bought a sturdier replacement cover this year (about £12) which has a kind of mesh within the plastic.

_4375__88408__.jpg

I had 2 last year - one the same as above and one with the stringy mesh in the plastic (I think it was from Argos). The one with the mesh seems to have survived the better of the 2, I think maybe as the plastic is a little more flexible - I have a big rip up the back of the non-meshy one. The zips had broke on both by the end of the summer though.

They worked though and will probably last another year. Maybe.

Hi

I had a small one of those bought for me , it did blow around on gusty days despite being in a sunny sheltered spot) I bricked it at the base but it still has its original zip cover (it is outside in all weathers) it was only a cheapie and about 6 years old now. I also had an alton cedar greenhouse and sold it on ebay as it was more trouble to heat than it was worth. These little frames are worth their weight in gold

good luck indie(ps I store wood logs in mine during the autumn/winter )

Hi Martin just wondered if a cold frame would be better and cheaper if you could make one. Or even planting in the garden and using those plastic bell like cloches, they can be staked down. These will last years and just wondered if they would work out more economical, just a thought.

I had one of those and it blew over a few times, wrecking the contents - and that was with a concrete slab sitting on the bottom shelf for stability! My pal has one though and hers is great. I think the lesson is be careful where you put it! Needs to be a spot that is not too windy.