theherd123

Chickens on a diet

I wonder if you can help me as im in a bit of a pickle! :?

As you know i have 4 ex battery girls, Spog, Spangle, Flump & Mojo, all are doing ok at the minute but im slightly concerned about Mojo & Spangle as they look very fat :shock: while Spog looks normal and Flump is underweight. :(

Flump can hold her own where the food is concerned but how can i fatten her up a bit and can i put Spangle & Mojo on a diet & if so how would i do this? :?

They dont get lots of treats & when they do its usually corn, fruit or mealworms.

As ex battery girls they are bred for their high egg yield and meat so i expect that has something to do with it but im concerned that if it continues their legs wont hold out :(

Any suggestions?

Don't worry Emma.

I am sure they are fine! If you think they really need to diet why not seperate them. Big Fat Girls on one side, thin girls on the other. Then feed them depending on their needs.

Reduce treat portion sizes. A small slice of apple rather than a whole one, or 1 grape instead of 20! 1 spoon each of porridge not a whole bowl! 3 mealworms each, not 50!!!

:lol::lol::lol: bASICALLY REDUCE PORTION SIZES TO THE FAT ONES! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: bASICALLY REDUCE PORTION SIZES TO THE FAT ONES! :lol:

Oh Martin you sound like the Gillian McKeith for chickens! :lol:

I can reduce their treats no problems but my worry is that if i seperate them will they start to have a go at each other when they get back together at the end of the day? :?

my Ella is a BIG girl, I like you was getting worried she may "go off her legs"....for the past couple of weeks I have reduced treats/treat sizes and both my chickens appear to have lost weight and look slightly slimmer !!

I also try to make sure they get plenty of exercise and free range as much as possible to keep their little legs active :lol:

My OH does this thing where he runs up and down the lawn alongside the netting - the girls just run along with him. Sometimes they get treats, sometimes he just does it to see them run. Keeps them fit though (all 3 of them)

As the chickens spend half the day hurtling over to the bit nearest the back door every time they hear the key turn, the water running down the drain or any sign of life either in the house or in next-door's garden they get plenty of exercise without his intervention (but it does him good).

My OH does this thing where he runs up and down the lawn alongside the netting - the girls just run along with him. Sometimes they get treats, sometimes he just does it to see them run. Keeps them fit though (all 3 of them)

As the chickens spend half the day hurtling over to the bit nearest the back door every time they hear the key turn, the water running down the drain or any sign of life either in the house or in next-door's garden they get plenty of exercise without his intervention (but it does him good).

My boys do the same thing - run round and round the garden with the chickens chasing them :shock: Keeps them all fit I suppose, plus it's quite amusing too! :roll::lol: