Luvachicken

Evie's tail droops and she is still quiet

The other day I asked if anyones girls were sitting around as Evie seemed to be sitting around alot.

She is still sitting around alot and sometimes sleeping but not really being a chicken, but then sometimes she is but not for long.

Her tail reminds me of a sad dog :(

Shall I take her to the vets?

I phoned the vets and spoke to a really nice nurse who said that she would have a quick chat to a non-chicken vet. The non-chicken vet said that the sign of a tail down is the sign of a not happy chicken. And to separate her from the others so I could tell if she is eating and pooing.

The chicken vet herself is in surgery tomorrow so I have booked Evie in for then. Fingers crossed.

Oh no,

I have one the same too. One of my Ex-batts - Morney. She has been quiet for 3 days now. Picks at food but not diving in like the others. She is pooing as I had to cut some mucky feathers away from round her vent. Some looked a bit black and sticky...?

She hasn't laid since last year (like the other 2 Ex-batts) and i thought (hoped) it was just an uncomfortable egg on the way. One other thing - Her top part off the vent ( where the egg comes out) was much darker pink than my other girls. Any thoughts anyone?

Please let me know how you get on at the vets, as I can't see anything obviously wrong with my girl either and it's starting to really worry me :(

Evie does have dirty botty feathers too.......I'd better give her another wash before we go

I will let you know how we get on tomorrow - our appointment is at 11.10 am

Oh, sounds very similar doesn't it. Mornays botty feather mess is black and or yellowey. And when I check her vent it flexes in and out a lot more than the other girls.

Good luck tomorrow, I shall be thinking of you and hope it's nothing too bad. Be glad to hear when you have time.

Vicki

GNR

Poor Evie got left at the vets because the chicken vet had to go to the doctors herself....so I saw another nice vet instead. She wasn't a chicken vet but could tell that Evie wasn't well and could they keep her until the other vet got back.

So, the chicken vet phoned me at 1.30 to say Evie probably has a reproductive problem as she has no snuffles, so she is going to give her a calcium injection and an antibiotic injection and then I have to keep her separate to see if she eats and somehow i guess, give her more antibiotics the others can't get. Another turn in the rabbit run for her on the grass perhaps.

Do you think it would be a good idea to keep her indoors overnight so the other 2 don't disturb her or don't chickens move much when they are asleep ?

If it were mine I would keep her indoors with you until she shows some sign of improving. As she is not moving around a lot you could keep her in an open cardboard box or a pet carrier. You will be able to get a better idea of what she is actually eating and drinking. Keep her warm and comfortable with no stress from the other hens would be my advise. :D I hope she starts to improve soon. :pray:

The vet said to keep her separate during the day so the others don't pick on her but to put her back at night. Should I still keep her indoors overnight ?

She also said we couldn't eat any of her eggs ( if she lays any ) for the next 6-8 wks but that will mean eating no eggs as we don't know whose are whose :(

That is because of the antibiotic. If you can try and have her with you for a couple of days and nights. Then when she is improving and you know she is eating better she could go in with the others at night. Then you could bring her out every morning into a seperate outside area. It's unlikly that she will lay until she is better. (Hope I'm right in saying that) If I'm not can someone please join in. {hugs for you} It is very worrying for you.

Thank you sooo much . We decided we would put her in our dog cage (for the car) for the next few nights,indoors, then put her in the rabbit run for a few days. Then when hopefully she feels a bit bettter in a few days let her back with the others after about 10 am ish - so that the others might have layed their eggs by then , and throw away any eggs for the rest of that day.

Do you think thats a good idea.

Yep it is baytril - my rabbit had it too a couple of weeks ago.

Funny you should ask about worming as I had started on saturday but now Evie is separate from the others she can't eat the worming stuff. Have I done the right thing regards the worming, does she need both ?

Im honestly not sure about worming and baytrill at the same time, hopefully someone will be along to say yay or nay to that.

Im just surprised the vet said 6-8 WEEKS egg withdrawal! When mine were on it i just withdrew eggs during and 7 days afer treatment, and we're all still here :lol:

You are obviously doing everything you can for her anyway, hopefully she will pick up soon.

Good luck hun :D

Thank you, she did seem to enjoy the fresh water I put in and did manage a few pellets, and before bed time she did have a bit more of a peck at the grass, so hopefully she might feel a bit better in the morning.

Perhaps I'll check at the vets and make sure she meant weeks and not days :wink:

Hi, I haven't read my inbox message yet - which I'm sure must be from you - but I'm answering a couple of points on hear as other people have posted relevant notes.

My Blubell had Baytrill too for her sour crop - and I was told not to eat the eggs for 7 days after the course ended too.

It is sad to throw the eggs away - but as chicken Shirl said - she probably wont lay till she's better (I only had to throw 2 of Bluebell away as the first 5 days after treatment she didin't lay anyway.).

I might have to take Mornay this morning - I'm not sure she'll make it through till tomorrows vets appointment otherwise :cry: as she's not even eating now and is really wobbly on her feet. I'll let you know.

I worm mine at the beginning of every month with Vermex and Mornay 'sounds' very similar to your Evie, but we'll see what the vet says. Might not find out much today as the chicken expert one isn't in today.

Best,

Vicki

Gutted.

I am very sad to say I had to have Mornay put to sleep. She was going downhill so fast. Not eating and wobbly on her little legs. I took her to the vets this morning rather than wait till tomorrow as I didn't want her to be suffering. She did an awful yellow frothy poo on the examination table and the vet said oh dear - that looks like scrambled eggs. She said she suspected egg peritonitus. So I agreed to an x-ray - they didn't even have to put her under as she was hardly moving any way. I said my goodbyes to her before I left - just in case, and sure enough the vet phoned me on my mobile before I'd even go home and said she could see at least one un-minaralised egg in her adomen. The only option was to put her out of her suffering,especially as she was so weak - so I agreed. They asked if I would mind if they did an autopsy, as they would like to learn from it and make sure there was that and nothing that may be infectious to my other girls. I kinda don't like the thought of it, but I can understand why and so said yes - I await the results which I will post when received. I took her 'sister' Benni with me too - so they could see how she should look, and at least she had company on her last journey. I don't know if was me just imagining it but Benni seemed very quiet coming home. Mornay was the head hen, so not sure who'll take over the mantle - probably Benni who appeared to be 2nd in command.

I am very sad to have lost one of my first girls (my 3 Ex-Batts), still at least she had a year and a half nearly, of fun, grass, dust baths and worm hunting, to make up for her first 18 months of caged life.

I worry for Benni & Custard now - as she said Exbatts are quite prone to this kind of thing due to their previous life, and neither has layed an egg since before xmas..... I shall watch them closely and see if there are any tips for preventing it (any thoughts anyone?) I might post that question or search it once I get the post mortem results.

I hope Evie continues to make progress, plz let me know - and I will let you know the pm results.

Kind Regards

Vicki