Luvachicken

Evie's tail droops and she is still quiet

Aw Vicki, I'm sorry. It's such a sad thing, but you did everything that you could. I'm waiting for a PM too, I don't like the sound of it either, but I have to think of my remaining girls x

Thanks peeps, for the cyber hugs in particular :)

I quite agree brambles, if we can learn from it and help our other girls in preventing anything else it has to be done.

How much is your sosting - if you don't mind me asking? My vets said £15.00 which I thought was quite reasonable. But they were keen to do it to learn themselves so maybe they kept it keen for me (they are lovely there).

What was your situation/problem?

Anyway, here's keeping our fingers & toes crossed for Evie :pray:

Vicki x

Evie still doesn't seem to be much of a chicken :( . Her tail is at least more up than down and she potters about but she still isn't eating much and her back end is still very firm. She still hasn't layed any eggs.

When the antibiotics run out in a few days time what do I do ? The vet said she could give her some more antibiotics but if she doesn't have something thats cured by them what would be the point ?

I don't mind if she never lays another egg but I don't want her to be in pain.

But then, I wouldn't want her to be put to sleep if she might be ok.

These things are so hard

Poor Evie, I really feel for you - these little balls of feathers really steal your heart don't they. Our Maggie was like this before we had her put to sleep, however she's going downhill on several previous occasions but rallied after about 4 days of TLC.

With Maggie we were in the same situation, she wasn't herself at all and was very quiet and subdued, she had two doses of antibiotic without any improvement over the couse of 2 weeks and in the end we had to say goodbye to her. I'm no vet but with all my animals the general; rule of thumb seemsto be that if its an infection the correct antibiotic will show signs of improvementwithin 48hrs, think Baytril is a general broad spectrum one so generally good at killing off most common nasties. In Maggies case she sort-of improved a little, then went downhill again. Has Evie had an X-ray as well, just in case its peritonitis? That was the situation with Maggie I'm sad to say.

Keeping fingers crossed for you and Evie,

Carolyn x

oh sweetheart *hugs*. Is she drinking? If not it may help to gently drip some water onto her beak using a dropper. Our lot love warm porridge made with sultanas, that might be worth a try?

You're doing everything you can for her, its at this point a good vet is worth their weight in gold - maybe its time to take her back and have her checked again?

x

When I picked up our rabbit from his op yesterday, I sneakily asked the vet about Evie at the same time and asked what happens after the 10 days of antibiotics are up and I'm sure she said "oh, we'll probably give her some more" but is there any point.

She does seem to quite like her own bowl of water but she hasn't touched any pellets, rice, peas and sweetcorn, and even the mealworms I broke up today ( and hid the medicine on ) she hasn't tucked into like she did yesterday :(. She must be hungry.

It's a shame there isn't some sort of drug that kind of gives them the ability to just plop it all out. Oh well.......

When I picked Evie up today to put her in the garden I'm not sure if her bottom end felt a teeny weeny bit softer.

Could this be a sign of things getting better or am I just imagining it ?

I'm going to see if she will eat some pasta tonight, as unfortunately I had to go to work all day even though I've left, and she doesn't seem to have eaten much of what I left her. I might try her on the cheese and apple too.

The strange thing is, she is still bright eyed and has enough energy to escape being caught by me at bedtime

Today poor Evie was desperate to go up the cube ladder but she just couldn't manage it so I opened up the back and popped her in from there. She went straight into the egg box and I really hoped she would plop out some enormous egg and feel better - but she didn't. I had to go out and left OH specific instructions to check on her which he did - only to find her figuring out how to get down, so he did it for her.

Poor Evie :(

Amazingly Evie is still with us :clap::clap: but she still hasn't been eating that much - probably enough for a sparrow. Every morning I open her curtain and there she is chatting to me all bright eyed and ready to go.

She has a huge selection of things to eat in little pots but just pecks very lady like at a couple of pots and has a drink.

She has lost a lot of weight and i was kind of hoping that any egg bits inside could disappear, like when a lady is pregnant and doesn't get enough calcium fot the baby it gets absorbed from her body, the same could happen to Evie because she isn't eating well ?

Mind you, today i bought her some cherries, raspberries, blackberries and grapes. I only got 4 cherries because they were expensive :shock: but they didn't weigh properly and when i said they were for my poorly chicken he let me have them :D . She ate one and a half cherries, most of the blackberry ( it was quite big) and half a grape as i did read about them being toxic. Then a bit later she ate some sloppy porrige with currants in - then she went to bed.

But then her tummy gurgled - is that a good sign ?

She still plays out with the others but just potters - should i take her away every hour or so and make sure she has something to eat ? She obviously is a fighter and doesn't want to go just yet , any more advice would be much appreciated xxxxxxxx

Hi,

I have a simular problem with my Margo, I nearly put her to sleep as she was getting so weak, Two weeks later

and she is starting to recover slowly, She is in a Eglu on her own as the other girls where picking on her, But can

manage to tell me off if i am late letting her out or she has ran out of food.

She hasn't laid again but i think it will be a long process for her as whatever went on in her laying tackle really knocked her for six. I have found that Battles poultry tonic to be good for her ( i have tried all the others) and some

wax worms as treats.

Hope this helps

xx