I've had a very busy weekend this weekend with BHWT rescues, and all the straggly hens really pull at my heartstrings. I'm such a softie :roll:

Today we had some really excellent hens in great condition, not even debeaked and with lots of feathers, big girls too. But there were 2, who tucked themselves away in a corner, one was quite huddled and hunched and her mate had a protective wing around her 8) . Honest, I even took a photo of them like that, it was such a lovely sight. Immie kept going back to check on them, but they hardly seemed to move all afternoon. So, at the end of the day there were about 10 hens left over. Sophie managed to persuade her Mum that they really needed another couple of hens with Jean's help and some ridiculously funny exploding hens tale, Fliss (another helper) got her arm ever so gently twisted and took 3 home. Well, faced with that kind of example I couldn't let the side down, so somehow the hunched hen and her caring friend found their way into a big cardboard box which is currently on my dining table :roll::dance::dance:

I'm a little worried about hunched hen, I think she'll need some TLC, but her friend is in fabulous condition.

They're going to be Edie (Edam) - that's hunched hen, and Red (Red Leicester) :wink: Had to stick with the cheese theme after all.

Kate you are such a softy!

Well done to you though - I feel really guilty now that I rejected Mike's suggestion that we take another one....

I also felt that bad that I let Layla choose all 3 - I should have made sure we picked one of the more featherless ones. But, most were in good condition, considering, weren't they?

Will have a good look at ours tomorrow when its light. We were a bit worried about Cilla as she just sat down when we put her in with the others and she was very quiet on the way home. She soon perked up, but when we checked them before L went to bed she was already snuggling in one of the nest boxes, even though the torch was still on.

AND - there was no poo in the boxes when we got them home! Phew no smells.

Oh Kate, that did make me laugh! :lol:

You're so kind to take in Edie and Red as well as helping out with the rescues - fantastic work! 8)

Welcome to the newbies and our fingers are crossed here that Edie starts to feel a bit better soon.

Sue & Neil

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Oh that made me go all wibbly

Do we get to see the pic?

I'll definitely post the pics this evening, no time this morning.

I've popped the new girls into the orange eglu this morning (they stayed in a cardboard box last night, to dark when we got home to start organising eglus for unexpected guests), and they're looking a bit bemused but scratching around and have worked out the peanuts.

What a din from the big girls though, they're charging around the green eglu shouting out all sorts of chickeny threats. Just wait until they're let out to free range later, what's the betting they'll be like little sharks circling their victims :roll::roll:

Fingers very tightly crossed as I reply to this :roll: , but so far, so good. Red is still being very caring around Edie, Edie is still not 100%, she's a little hunched and lethargic, but she's improving, is eating and drinking, and is beginning to scratch and dustbathe :D . The others are ignoring them after the initial hollering, and treat them with disdain. Roll on both groups free ranging together :shock:

Kate - how long will you give it before you put them together?

I am dreading going through the pecking order thing all over again. Didn't get it with the first 2.

I was thinking of keeping them all apart until there chests are nicely feathered or is that too long (how long does it take to re-grow feathers?)

I think the regrowing feathers depends a lot on the individual hens. Trying to remember back to my first lot of ex-batts we got them in May. Cam was probably fully feathered by July-ish, Tilly took ages to grow hers and I think we were well into Autumn before she was well covered, I remember worrying about her as the colder weather was just beginning to bite. Of course they were both eating the same and so on, so it was an individual hen thing.

If I feel that Edie is strong enough, I'll let them out of their eglu run on Saturday when I'll be around working in the garden all day to supervise them. We're lucky in that my garden's fairly big, so then can all escape from each other and unfortunately I want to integrate them fairly quickly because I've got a holiday coming up :oops::oops: . My MIL is moving in for chicken and cat duties, but I don't want her caring for sick hens or breaking up fights, so hopefully we'll manage the integration soon.