ieuan

Solar door closer

All,

I've found that I've woken up on occasions to see the chickens out and about pecking, then realised that I forgot to close and lock them in the previous night! This got me worried as ‘Mr Fox’ will eventually strike if I keep on forgetting to lock them up.

Anyway, I had a chat with a friend of mine who’s an engineer and he thinks he can come up with a ‘solar powered door closer’ for the eglu run (not the bedroom section, just the run), this would close when it gets dark as it would be triggered by a light sensitive switch. We have no plans or anything yet, but we were thinking that there may be other owners out there interested in such a gadget! Obviously when closed the door would need to be locked in place to make sure that Mr Fox couldn’t open it!

Could people let me know if this is a kind of thing that they would be interested in? I’m after a straw pole, with a simple yes or no – we think price would be around £30, but this may be less depending on cost of parts etc and man hours.

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll also start off a debate about the merits on automating something that we should all do manually, and yes there’s always the chance of the door closing while Mrs Chicken is still outside (we are looking at this!), but these plans are still early yet and we’d like to gage what level of interest there may be in this.

Thanks

Ieuan

Hi Ieuan

I too have been thinking about this as I live on an estate and the girls are squarking to be let out in the mornings (6:30ish!) I don't mind on a work day but at the weekends it can be frustrating as you lose your lie in! (maybe a sacrifice of keeping chickens...but probably worth it! :D)

There seems to be one on the market...a bit pricey though! £75 just for the unit and another £30 for a timer.

https://www.axt-electronic.de/index1.htm

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/door_opener.htm

http://www.deepblue.uk.net/site/node/401

http://www.bobkan.co.uk/shop/housing/doors.htm

Only trouble is at the weekend I got up early and let them out and stumbled back to bed. Maggi however got jumped on by a cat and is now hobbling. :( It may not be a good idea if there are foxes etc about

Let us know if you come up with a cheap version!

I like the graphic on the AXT website! :D

Hello Ieuan,

It wouldn't be for me personally as our foxes tend to be around at first light and at dusk. We leave the Eglu door (not the run door) closed but not locked and the chickens have now learnt to shoulder boudler it open, so they can at least get into the run first thing for food. I only tend to to let ours our when I'm around on fox supervision. Great idea in theory though :D

Edited by Guest

I think some people think you are talking about the Eglu door; but you mean the door of the run, don't you? -- i.e. you are planning to allow your chickens to roam around your garden while you are in bed.

I am a bit worried that you are assuming you will be safe from foxes once dawn breaks. I think I am correct in saying that every single occurrence of a chicken being seized by a fox that has been reported on this forum took place in broad daylight.

My chickens have to wait for me to get up even to get into the run: it's just too bad if I am a bit late. If the Eglu door was left for them to push open, they wouldn't like it, as there wouldn't be any food or water for them left out (rats), so they are better off shut up.

I'm not sure that you could be absolutely certain that all the hens would be in the run at a given time. It would be a disaster if the run door closed automatically and one or two hens were still in the garden.

Mine certainly don't all rush to bed at once, even though they are safely locked in the run well before dusk.

Agree with Gallina here. Letting chickens free range at any time of day is a risk. I lost my poor old Crockett at 4.00 pm in the height of summer, having turned my back on her for 20 minutes. :cry: An automatic door, which gives them free ranging access to an unprotected area during the early, quiet part of a day would be rather foolish. Also from the viewpoint of shutting them out of safety, should one not get home quite in time.... reminds me of when I was a teenager sneaking home late at night only to find the door locked and barred... :oops::lol:

I've been thinking about this and have to admit that I'm not entirely sure which door you mean. Eglu door, or run door :?

In principle it sounds like a great idea but my hens can push their way out of the Eglu door, which I only push too at night, not properly lock, so they're out of the Eglu but confined to the relative safety of the run until I'm ready to let them free range. I'd never want to have the run door opening automatically, too fraught with possible danger.

But because mine can open the eglu door by themselves I'd have no need for a solar powered door opener, and too much chance of one of them getting locked out at dusk. One of my girls is very much bottom of the pecking order and the poor thing faffs and fusses about but won't go to bed until after all the others are settled, often when it's quite dark. With an automatic door closer she'd be locked out most nights :shock:

So as I said, in theory a great idea, in practice, for me at least, of no value whatsoever. Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback, I should have been a bit clearer about which door – I mean the ‘Run’ door and not the eglu door. Sounds like most are against at the moment, as there are concerns over ‘locked out chickens’ and early morning attacks – all good points indeed

Anyway, we’re going to play around with it, as it’ll be interesting to see if we can come up with one – I’ll keep you posted

Cheers

Ieuan