Sky

Advice on new chicken quarters please

We are in the process of building a rather elaborate new home for our girls. As you can see from the photos my lovely hubby is taking it very seriously. We still have the wire and door to put on the outside run but have just assembled the dog kennel which we have bought as the inner housing as I want to increase our flock and this seemed to have good options for separating new comers.

Anyway, our kennel consists of a 4' x 4' (bedroom) which we need to fit out with perch and nesting boxes. The poop hole is at the bottom. What I would like to know is:- (a) does the perch have to be a certain height off the floor. (b) Do the nesting boxes have to be higher, lower or on the same level as the perch. © Should we construct a "first floor" area so that they can get up higher to roost.

DSCF1532.jpg

DSCF1531.jpg

DSCF1533.jpg

Jenny x

Wow! Very impressive!!! :D

My understanding is that birds like to be quite high to roost (in the wild they got into trees) but some domesticated fowl are so large, like my Orpingtons, that they would struggle to get up high so my perches were placed a lower height for them to get on!

If you were having several different breeds and lots of birds then you could have perches at different heights so they could hop up and up (ladder like) to their desired spot. Chickens tend to adopt the same spot on the perch night after night with the dominant hen is usually at the heighest point.

This site has some useful info for you and your husbamd:

http://www.freechickencoopplans.com/

I think I love your husband Sky!! :lol:

Nest boxes should always be lower than perches, otherwise they'll sleep in them. I'd go for a lower perch for those that can't manage acrobatics and a higher perch for those who want to satisfy their need to be as high as possible. Make sure the nest boxes are in the darkest part of the house too as they prefer to do their laying in secret.

I'd keep the interior as simple as possible as it makes cleaning and red mite prevention easier. Nest boxes and a perch or two will be just perfect. :)

Ooooh sorry, as said before I am lucky enough to have a very enthusastic hubby who has absolutely loved this new project, which did get slightly out of control the further he went!!! The dog kennel was a cheaper option and much more versatile (with a view to introducing new girls) than a much smaller purpose built chicken house :eh: