migsy

Can guinea pigs be kept with chickens?

I went on holiday last year to a place which had a massive walk in run which housed hens, rabbits and guinea pigs all roaming together. It appeared to be a good arrangement. Does anyone have experience of keeping GPs with chooks?

Can't says I've ever tried it out. It guess it would work if the coop they shared was really big so they could all get away from each other and if the guineas had their own seperate house which the chickens couldn't get into, but I think the piggies could be bit freaked out by the huge feathery things. I would keep them seperate just to avoid any accidents from the chickens' claws and beak.

Hope that helps

Scarlett

They certainly can. My 3 boys have lived with the chooks for 3 years now quite happily. I have a very large walk in run and the GPs have their own cages sectioned off in which they can run around in all day. The chooks and the GPs give each other something else to look at and keep them occupied. They do mingle together sometimes and the chooks will occasionally have a little peck, but the GPs are very quick to get out of their way. Sometimes the chooks settle down next to their cages and watch the little GPs scurrying around. In short - yes, they get on fine together.

Hope this helps.

I was a bit wary as I have three established Guineas, I was really worried that my new hens and the guineas wouldn't like each other, so I sectioned off my shed. :shock: I shouldn't have been too worried as they all get on really well when free ranging. I have had problems of one hen, keeps flying over the barrier and nesting in the guinea pigs sleeping area. I think she thins shes a piggy and not a hen.. (guinea)