superchickens

advice needed: holes in nest area - eglu classic

Hi.

It seams our chickens have s"Ooops, word censored!"ed 2 holes in the nest area of our Mk2 Eglu classic, they have let water (from cleaning) into the base, any suggestion on how I can fix the holes - I wondered about silicon sealant? or duck tape? would these be safe for chickens or do you think they would peck at it/eat it?

help we are novices in the art of chicken keeping & eglu maintance!!!!

Thanks

(green eglu) & 3 ex battery hens)

It does seem unusual for a hen to do that. Could you post a photo, do you think?

Silicon sealant is often mentioned as being pecked off doors/windows and eaten so might not be a good idea :lol: . Do you want to actually fill the holes or just cover them up so stuff doesn't fall through?

Someone made a cover for the cube nestbox hole which is a different shape but could probably be adapted.

not that i know...

I don't suppose anyone stood in the nestbox somehow
of, but we did inherit this run, so who knows but we still need to find a way to stop water/muck getting into the base when we wash it.

i was thinking maybe duct tape? or glueing a plastic patch made of part of a milk bottle and vinyl glue? but i'm hoping someone might be able to suggest what is safest for the chickens and most likely to work?

Help!

Hi Everyone

Thanks for you advice. I'm going to try and fix it this weekend (if it sever stops raining up here). Thanks for the tip about fibreglass will see what I can find in our provincial DIY store) but I rang omelet and they said you can also buy a replacement base for £32 which seams reasonable so if the patch doesn't work I at least have a plan b!

will let you know how I get on

Thanks

Superchickens (Dumfires and Galloway)

Does anyone know if rats can get into the eglu runs? I am hoping to leave the coop door open in the warmer weather to save me getting up so early to let them out but we have seen rats at the bottom of the garden when I put food on our bird feeder. I always bring the food in at night.