abwsco Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 MIght seem an odd post as eldest DD has decided not to go to uni in September but she's not been sat on her bum and has been for a second interview for a job today. Anyway, they offered her the job! It's office admin for a local firm of builders, pays a fair amount above minimum wage and as there are so few jobs around at the moment she also beat some graduates. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Marvellous. Congratulations. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 good for her - and it sounds as if she's mature enough to make her own decisions, uni isn't for everyone and it's an expensive mistake to make if you go there and then decide it's not what you want. Well done your DD. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Good for her My eldest is dithering about going next year,especially now after the announcements about the graduate tax,& higher fees. Is it really worth it any more,I wonder??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted July 15, 2010 Author Share Posted July 15, 2010 Thanks everyone:) Sarah, I was never really happy about DD going to uni due to the debts she would leave with, job situation etc. 6th form kept telling her it was because neither DH or I had been and they did apply a lot of pressure on her to apply Also, she knows of no-one who has gone to uni and got a decent job yet either so that didn't inspire me either. If DD gets the grades for her conditional offer I think she could defer for a year incase she changes her mind. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 There are a lot of extremely successful people who never went to Uni. I personally - wish I'd learnt a skill instead of studying. I wish I'd been a lady chef or a hairdresser. You can travel anywhere in the world with those & always get a job. I think Uni can often be a waste of time & very stressful. It's expensive & there is a lot of peer pressure & boasting - which gets ridiculous. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Plus, I don't use any of what I studied these days!!! I learnt more by travelling abroad after, than I ever learnt through my studies - I also grew up & matured through travelling. So I think your daughter has been very sensible & mature to do what is best for her. I admire her for not following the rat race! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted July 16, 2010 Share Posted July 16, 2010 Congratulations to your DD on her job. University isn't for everyone, my ES originally liked the 'idea' of uni life when he saw his sister go but he knew he didn't want to go really. He's an apprentice air conditioning engineer so on a poor wage but learning a skill and going to college one day a week. DD has left university with over £20,000 debt (4 year degree) thankfully she already had a job sorted as long as she got the right grade. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted July 16, 2010 Share Posted July 16, 2010 Well done for making her own decision. University is only ONE way of getting skills and education. Learning by job experience is another - and if her job works out well, she can always study for qualifications or a degree later in life, when that experience will stand her in very good stead. So many people go to Uni and take "nothing" degrees - that is degrees that don't lead to a job or career pathway. They will end up going for the same jobs that your DD has got, but three years behind her and with lots of debt. She could eventually end up with a good job, good qualifications and no debt - Seemples! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted July 26, 2010 Author Share Posted July 26, 2010 Thanks docsquid, Emma and Ann. Sorry, I'd missed your posts She's just done her first day and enjoyed it which is a good sign. Not sure how long it will last though when she realises this is the daily grind Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 It will be a steep learning curve for her,thats for sure Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted July 26, 2010 Author Share Posted July 26, 2010 It will be a steep learning curve for her,thats for sure Luckily she's been waiting on and then behind the bar as well so at least she's some idea of grafting. Just not the 9 to 5 plus driving there and back everyday - lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PurpleTree Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 well done to your DD. Neither me nor hubby went to Uni (I did go to Art college for a few months, but decided it wasn't for me), I wouldn't say we're any worse off than any of our friends that did go. If anything we're better off as we got on the housing ladder a lot sooner and we don't have any debts. When I started work at 19, I was doing exactly the same job as someone who was a bit older and did have a degree behind him - and he's still there! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 Well done to her for knowing her own mind - that is worth a few qualifications I think! I loved uni, had a fab time, but would certainly have thought twice about it if I had had to take on all the debts students do now - I don't think many degrees are worth all that!! Hope she continues to enjoy work - and just because she's gone down that route doesn't mean she can't take more qualifications later if she wants. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 I'm really pleased to hear that you DD has managed to find a job, they are certainly very hard to come by. I also agree that Uni isn't for everyone. .but that said I do think for many young people it is still a fantastic way to leave home and fend for themselves quite apart from broadening their minds and experiences. neither OH or I went to Uni and we both have good jobs, he doesn't regret not going..I do... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Marple Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 Well done to your daughter for making her own decision and not feeling swayed by peer pressure. I firmly believe that the time to go to Uni (if at all) is when you really want to go for yourself and the prospects it may bring. My eldest graduated two weeks ago and it was truly one of the proudest moments of my life!! I ask myself why, when after all it is his degree not mine. I think it is simply that he set out to do something and achieved it brilliantly. He took a gap year as he couldn't decide what to study at first - in spite of some pressure from his school and their Oxbridge expectations. He went to look at both and decided they were not for him, worked for 6 months during the day with a law firm and in the evenings as a life guard at our local gym and applied for the next year. He then set off around the world and came back ready to go. He has about 15k of debt, however he does have a job which he starts at the end of September. He wants to go to do a postgraduate qualification in journalism at City Uni. London but felt he needed to get out and earn some money to support himself. As the job is Manchester -based he is back home for now which will help him to eat away at some of the debt. It was so much easier when I went to Uni 30 years ago. Sorry to have rambled I probably should have posted re my boy but .... Back to your daughter. You will be supportive when times get tough - we do that. I cheer her on for her own decision -making Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted July 26, 2010 Share Posted July 26, 2010 Huge congratulations to your DD, for getting a job and also for not been pushed by peers or teachers into something she didnt want. My DD got herself a job at 16 and went to college on a night and she also did a day release course too. Now she is qualified as an accountant, has letters after her name and...no debt!! No, she certainly didnt get her brains from me So good for your DD Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 27, 2010 Share Posted July 27, 2010 Well done your daughter, it is important to take advice, but much more important to do what feels right for you. She has shown independence and strength of character, by making her own way. ED is unsure about university at the moment, she starts 6th form in September but hasn't got any clear ideas about what she wants to do post school. She will do her A levels and take it from there. We have said that it is her choice and we will help her finacially either for university or to start a small business. Time will tell. OH went to university, I didn't and I have mixed feelings about how life would have turned out if I had. I suspect that if we had both been well paid professionals we wouldn't have taken the choice to have children so easily and I have been really happy in my role as a mum and support for OH's business. University is not for everyone. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted July 27, 2010 Share Posted July 27, 2010 good for her luckily my step daughter has got a job after uni but many haven't. Uni is not for everyone and its seems that everyones got a degree these days so has leveled the playing field a little. but at 18 i didnt know what I really wanted to do, but went to uni at 40 it was great, she's got her whole life ahead of her to make that decision, best of luck to her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...