Jane from Brighton Beach

New friends for Lulu.

Our two new girls arrived this morning :D They look so tiny and strange next to our big girl Lulu. We've named them Lili and Lottie and until we get to know them we can't tell them apart! Lulu is not sure yet :? She's been pecking them but I understand this is normal. We've give them all a cuddle and hope they all get along soon.

Jane :D and Poppy 8)

8) I'm so pleased, and Lili & Lottie are lovely names.

They'll soon settle, Lulu just wants to make it clear who's boss, it may help to have an extra food station.

I'm sure it's the start of a wonderful friendship. I hope that you & Poppy have a lovely w/e watching them, best wishes xx

Jane, I'm really pleased for you and I hope you have a great weekend with them. Hopefully Lulu will settle down really quickly as she is on her own.

Mmm - they aren't getting on very well. Last night Lulu wouldn't let them in the eglu to sleep so we had to put Lulu in a box in the garage in disgrace! Today Lulu won't let them stay in the run when she's in the run too but chases them into the eglu. We've put a second source of food and water out so at least they have a chance. We can't leave Lulu in the garden all day as there are sometimes foxes so only when we are out with her.

We tried shutting the eglu so that they were in the run together with nowhere to go but Lulu was quite vicious. :evil: Not sure whether to leave them to it or intervene and, if so, how? Any ideas gratefully received.

Jane :shock: and Poppy :shock:

Any way you can setion off the Eglu run? Somebody did it very easily and successfully by strategically placing garden canes through the run? It would at least get Lulu used to the idea that the Eglu is theirs too.

The trouble with the water pistol is that you have to be there and be very accurate! :roll:

I might also get myself some bumper bits on order, just in case the pecking isn't going to stop.... I'm afraid mine went on for months and was truly evil. Its so distressing to watch isn't it?

Ultimately they will have to all be put together and sort it out, but try the canes first, and then they need as big a space as you can manage to acquaint themselves, so that they can escape if they need to.

I would certainly pop them all back in the Eglu together overnight!

I used the canes, seemed to work quite well. Only did it for few days - the two perps would shoot to the food end of the eglu. I put the canes across, then put food and water in the other end through the egg port for the timid two. Pom did manage to squeeze herself through the canes a couple of times, but then she just wandered around looking bewildered! :lol::lol:

122-2252_IMG.jpg

Jane, as Christian says, they are little plastic rings which you slip into the birds beak and through her nostrils, (like a nose ring for chickens). It stops them closing their beaks fully and being able to inflict damage on other birds, whilst they can still eat and drink normally. You can get them from the domestic fowl trust. I'll try to find the link for you..... ah, thanks Christian! 8)

My Tubbs wore one for a few months whilst she was attacking Izzy (it fell off in the end and Tubbs hasn't noticed :roll: )

Edited by Guest