batcatz

Walk in run nearly finished: UPDATE finished photos + COST.

This is the run I started in October last year. I do not recommend that anyone should try to build and treat panels in winter on a small patio even if you are wearing many layers and pair of gloves. It's way too cold. :lol: I've learnt a lot making this run. I planned the dimensions of the run, but then made panels that were over 4 foot wide and yes I bought 3 foot weld mesh. It took me twice as long to cut the mesh etc. I needed to extend the patio and make a path before I started putting it together. I've built it without any help or anyone to hold the wood for me and my workshop is the patio floor. :boohoo: I've enjoyed making it most of the time.

The run is sited on very uneven crazy paving and paving slabs at the side of the patio so it has been difficult, but I am hoping this will save the grass over winter and it will be perfect for watching the chickens in summer.

There is a hazlenut tree inside the run that the chickens like to dustbath under and there is another dustbathing area under the table.

I took this photo exactly a month ago:

IMG_2434.jpg

I finished the mesh roof yesterday in the rain (4 hours for a tiny roof panel. I think I had a bad day. haha) and now I've just got to finish making this.........

IMG_2600.jpg

a door within a door consisting of a wide door to take the eglu out for cleaning. The outside tap is just behind. Then there is an egg port door so I don't have to go in the run to get eggs.

and then my Walk in Run is finished. Wellllll, apart from roof, skirting boards on inside, finishing touches, moving eglu in, fixing the stable door that I messed up etc. :lol: You can see the stable door in the next photo. It is more than wide enough to get the eglu into the run. The idea is to throw corn and treats into the run without the chickens jumping out. I also made a hatch to slide out the poo tray.

IMG_2595.jpg

My back aches, my thumb hurts, my elbows hurt, and my hands are full of splinters. I'll be pleased with myself when it's finished. I''ll add a couple of completed pictures to this thread. I'm hoping it will be finished by end of the month. It has to be as my friend is boarding her cats in my cat run and this is where the chooks have been living for a year. haha.

Edited by Guest

Thanks, it's about 4 foot x 9.5 foot and the height is over 6 foot, but it's not precise in any direction as one end goes out more haha. The area is about right for 4 chickens, but I'll add perches. I might even add a mezzanie level in the future.

I can't stop looking at it already. :)

Thanks everyone! I did a little bit more this week, but not a lot as I needed a rest and now it's raining. I've mainly been wondering if I should use what I already have for the roof. 1 sheet of bitumen coroline (bit dark) plus 2 slightly damaged plastic roofing (position crack so drips can water the tree) or if I should just buy all new plastic sheets or the roof. haha.

Plum, I did wonder if some people didn't recognise me anymore! I changed my username at the beginning of June, because I never liked donovaa. :D

Lol Plum. :lol:

Not much left to do now. Top half of stable door is repaired and attached with bolt, side panel is on and the pop hole within a door is on and fully tested by the chickens. Just need to finish the eglu egg port door within a door then get some roofing and put skirting boards inside, and add bolts and hasps. Still sounds a lot. :doh:

If a door has a turnbutton instead of a bolt is it still fox proof? Hasps are those rectangular things that you turn to open the door. They are easier than fixing bolts. :oops: I have 2 on the poo tray door and was thinking of using them on the pop hole and egg port doors, but will bolt the 2 bigger doors.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280543647032&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Chickens moved in this evening and haven't wanted to come out. Hetty was squealing then stretching so I think that means she likes it and the others were busy scratching about in the woodchip. I had to lift them into the eglu tonight as they were all confused. I'm hoping they will work out to jump on the stool, but if not I will make a ladder. I am so pleased with it and VERY glad it is finished. I will be able to easily collect eggs instead of having to walk into the cat run to the eglu which was right at the end on the ground. Cleaning it will be 100% easier. Here are photos!

Putting corolux roof on yesterday.

IMG_2636.jpg

Eglu is in!

My fabulous poo tray door.

Open

IMG_2638.jpg

Closed

IMG_2639.jpg

My fabulous egg port door within a door.

IMG_2641.jpg

The whole thing opens as a door to take eglu out for cleaning.

IMG_2640.jpg

My fabulous water changing door and pophole for chicken freeranging.

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

Stable door to throw corn in without escaping chickens.

IMG_2637.jpg

Wickes perch recommended on here

IMG_2645.jpg

Under the ikea table

IMG_2646.jpg

Chickens!

IMG_2648.jpg

Wow you are so busy. :D

I don't think those are foxproof they can just be knocked to open but guess it depends how tall your foxes are. If it was me I wouldn't use them. I have got one to close the run from the inside when I'm in.

Thanks, I have a spare nickel bolt that I will put on the pop hole door and might buy another bolt for the poo tray door. Kind of done with screws at the moment, but all should be safe for now. :lol:

Thanks everyone. :D It is sooo much easier. Collecting eggs is a pleasure and I can also peek in at night to see who wins the nest box. :lol: I've added another bit of skirting board to raise the height of it as the chooks still managed to kick out the wood chippings. The grub fits on the edge of the skirting board so the krocken rail is redundant. Water is dripping in from the wall down the side and onto the table which is annoying, but a bit of guttering will fix that eventually.

Veggiemad, it's a 13 ltr bucket drinker. I bought it from Flytes so Fancy: http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Galvanised_Bucket_Drinker.html. I have it on thick slab of paving, with a thinner bit as a step up to it and a log to the side. This stops them kicking in the wood chip. I prefer it to the other types of drinkers. It's really handy as it doesn't need filling up every day. I originally bought it when I went on holiday so there was less for the chicken sitter to do and I was worried that the chickens would run out of water.

The only problem is I can't put Apple cider vinegar in it as it's metal, so I just use a plastic drinker if any chooks need perking up.

I just did a breakdown of costs. Had to estimate the hinges prices as can't find receipt. It cost approx £366.

Break down of cost:

Wood

kiln dried 25x38- 28.50

47x50 -45.28( some left over)

sawn treated x 2 packs of 8 = 21.32

x 3 packs of 8 = 43.20

Sub total: £138

Mesh: £38.50 3 ft.

Sub total: £177.30

Roof and fixings = £32

Sub Total: £209.30

Hinges, screws etc

screws 10.65

screws 3.60

screws 4.49

Barrel bolt 2.48

tower bolt x2 4.76

tower bolt x2 4.76 ?

t hinge x2 Small £3.96

t hinge x3 Large = £6?

t hinge x2 Medium = £6?

thumb turn x 4 £4.45

Sub Total:51.15 approx

£260.45

Tools

Stapler, side cutters, nails and staples £69.82

other b&q delivery £20

wood paint £15?

wickes perch 1.42

Grand Total:366.69

thinks for the inspiration I am wondering if i could make this myself too are they really complicated? Question how do they cope with wind? we can get som really good winds here and i would hate for it to end up in the neighbours garden or the girls to get hurt.