KateCooke

when will my bantams start laying?

Bought 4 pure breed bantams 2 weeks ago and becoming impatient reading about everyone's eggs, when will my first egg come.

Age of bantams is a bit questionable, when i bought the wyndotte they said she was at point of lay but she is the smallest and still tweets! The other 3 were bought from domestic fowl trust in cotswolds and they appears unsure of ages, about 18 weeks ish.

Based on this information can you advice me:

a. when do you think they might lay?

b. will they always lay in Eglu first?

c. is there any behaviour that i can look out for to show that laying will be soon.

Yours Desperate for eggs!

Kate

It is very hard I know, I waited ages for my girls to come into lay! My wyandottes were May 09 hatch and 1 startered to lay in November the other before Christmas. My Pekins (same hatch) started to lay in February and then both went broody in May and have pretty much stayed that way :wall: !

I wouldn't expect eggs much before mid to late Autumn - but you never know! Hybrids will come into lay sooner, pure breeds do take longer and will usually lay less frequently but for longer.

My girls did all lay in the eglu - just make sure they don't sleep in there.

They tend to spend quite a lot of time visiting the nest box to check it out before they lay - they know it is for something. They will squat down with their wings out when you come near them - they think you are the big cockerel! Which makes catching them so much easier.

Do let us know when the first egg arrives :D

Thank you, i am still hopeful everyday. Yesterday we did spot one of the girls sitting down low to teh ground with her wings out, maybe this is a good sign. I have never seen them go into the eglu apart from bed time. Well fingers crossed for eggs soon, my OH is getting even more inpatient.

Kate

My girls did all lay in the eglu - just make sure they don't sleep in there.

Hmmm... mine have been sleeping in the nest from day one - all cuddled up! They don't seem to be bothered about the roosting bars. Is this going to be a potential problem then....?

My growers are trying to sleep in the nest area or worse perching in the hole and pooing straight into it!!! I put a couple of plastic trays in the hole to block it and it keeps them out - mucky little chooks :notalk:

Kate, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Bantams from?

We're tempted by another couple (especially if Chicken Bhuna turns out to be a Cockerel, which is still a possibility) of different pure breeds, but can't seem to find many places that sell them nearby in Bucks.

I live north of Coventry so may not be suitable for you, but i bought 3 of my bantams in the Cotswolds, Domestic Fowl Trust and another one north of Nuneaton, Hoar Park.

Hope this helps.