Mrs P

Poorly or broody or what!!??? Sad update

:? I'm confused and a little worried about my Miss Pepperpot.

She hasn't laid properly for quite a while but she's been healthy and spritely in herself so I haven't been too worried. She laid all through the bad winter so she's allowed a rest.

However, today, she stayed in the nesting box all day until about 1pm when I took her off the nest. She was doing a really soft clucking sound and when I closed the eglu door she tried to get back in. Eventually she made a little bnest of her own round the back of the eglu in some ivy.

So, now its 5.35pm, she's gone very quiet - I've shifted her from her new nest and she's gone and had a massive drink of water but isn't remotely interested in eating. She's got her tail down and doesn't make any fuss at all when I try to lift her. She has done a couple of runny watery poos but she and Ginny gorged themselves on worms in my neighbours garden (unbeknownst to me!) yesterday when he was digging a big hole so she might have a runny bum because of that.

I'm at a loss to know what to do with her next. she's had plenty to drink but no food - what shall I do?

Any suggestions from you, my learned friends, would be very gratefully received.

Thanks guys.

Suzanne :(

Edited by Guest

Hi there :D

She sounds broody to me if she is making soft clucking noises and making nests, broody hens can either be protective or quiet, mine just go quiet :roll: I think the runny poos are normal, but turf her out of the nest a few times a day so she has the opportunity to eat and drink. As long as she is a healthy weight and she is drinking, eating and can walk then i think she is fine :)

All the best,

xx !eggwhite! xx

I've just been out to the run and little Miss Pepper has died. Poor little love. She was still alive when I peeped in last thing last night but she must have been poorly and I didn'r know.

I don't know whether I could have done anything different - she was showing all the signs of being broody- I feel really bad and so sad for Ginger who is all alone now.

I also don't really know what to do with her little body. I don't want to put her in the bin - I know it sounds sentimental but it doesn't seem right. I also am conscious of disease spreading because I don't what she died of. Is it worth taking her to the vets to be cremated or to find out what she died of?

Please can you advise me. I'm upset and confused.

Suzanne

x

I am really sorry to hear your news. Unless you have bought in new hens recently that could have bought something nasty with them I personally wouldn't suggest a pm. It sounds like she may have been poorly with something for a little while and had hidden it well from you until she could no longer cope. I very much doubt that she could have been saved had you taken her for treatment. It sounds like she went peacefully. If you can bear it you could double bag her and pop her in your bin. If it it just too much for you to bear, your vet will cremate her for you.

Thanks for the advice. I'm such a softy - it seems really harsh to get rid of her bosy like that but my husband has just taken her, double-bagged away to dispose of her. Poor little Ginger is now roaming around on her own. My little lone ranger. I'll watch her for a few days to make sure she dosn't get ill too. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks again.

Suzanne :(

So sorry to hear your sad news. I know exactly how you feel having lost one of my ex-batt girls last month. :(

It will take a while, but soon you will only remember all the good times you had with her. *hugs*

Chucky Mama is right to suggest a full checkover for your other girl, but in all liklihood it was something specific to your little girl that died.

A chicken on their own does get very lonely though. Is it too soon to think about getting two more friends for her. There is some excellent advice in the FAQs about introductions. I personally always quarantine new hens at the opposite end of the garden for 2 weeks before slowly introducing them to each other.

Thanks for your messages. I am thinking about a new hen but I just want to make sure that Ginger is okay first before I introduce someone new. No point in having another poorly hen if I can avoid it.

Ginger doesn't seem too lonely at the moment - I wonder whether we put human emotions onto animals ( if you see what I mean) sometimes - she just seems to be running around quite happily as usual. Not aware that anything is wrong although she did keep checking on Pepper yesterday when she felt ill.

Thanks again guys. As usual the forum is brilliant at making us feel that we're not alone in our chicken world.. :)