jlo Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Is it just me or is there a complete infestation of ladybirds around at the moment. I have just been sitting in a pub garden and been inundated with them. Now I have arrived home and there are hundreds of them on the wall of the house. There is even one on the laptop as I write this!! One has just bitten my mother so she isn't very happy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Yes we have swarms in the stable yard. Weird! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenNutter Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Hmmm. Not 'ooop north. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Slim Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 None here but all my friends a complaining about flies! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 yes I've been noticing them over the past couple of weeks - I find them very cheering (except the ninja mutant harlequin invading ladybird), and they do a lot of good in the garden eating aphids. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted October 8, 2010 Author Share Posted October 8, 2010 I have about 50 of them in my bedroom. One or two at a time are quite cute but they are taking over!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I cleaned out the winter accommodation for the ladybirds last week. Just a little wooden house filled with hay. We have loads here too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 My office gets the afternoon sun, and the ladybirds all congregate on the windows to sunbathe. I can see at least 7 now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Funny you should say that Jlo - they've been swarming in the front garden and crawling all over our windows this afternoon. I had to close the windows because they were coming in the house! They're the harlequins - I've only ever seen them in vast numbers in Alresford, so they are venturing further north each year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chuckmum6 Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Yes I've 'spotted' (sorry) more lately! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 its funny last year there were hardly any and all my beans were devoured by black fly, this years been great on that front now I know why Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sari Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Yes...my girls are having a great time chasing them around the WIR! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Yes lots here, I keep putting them on my roses to eat the remaining green fly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 None here - there were quite a lot of ladybirds a few weeks ago at our wildlife site, but they were regular 7-spot ladybirds, not harlequin ones. Absolutely none around now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 The chickens might chase them but they give off a really nasty secretion - they'll spit them out and ignore them in future. Mine did that last year and then they didn't touch the ladybirds at all after that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...